[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Questions regarding Jeremy Gelbwaks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Cast!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown Eyes
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Questions regarding Jeremy Gelbwaks Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

I'm relatively new to the board so please bear with me if these questions have been asked and discussed before as I have not seen them. I just finished watching the first two discs of the DVD set and was wondering what the official reason was for why Jeremy left the series. I have heard numerous answers to this in the past and am not sure which is correct. I first heard that his parents pulled him out because his family had to move away upon his Dad taking a job in another city. Then I heard another story that he was a pain in the butt as a little kid on the set and they decided to replace him. Shirley Joned states in the DVD retrospective that they needed to replace him because he wasn't an experienced child actor (like Suzanne Crough was) and therefore they replaced him with Brian.

I find Shirley's explanation to be odd given that Jeremy did a decent job in that first year and Suzanne's acting really didn't impress me to be any better than Jeremy's. Especially since they didn't have that much to say anyway. It seems Chris and Tracy's roles were reduced even more starting with the second season through the end of the series. They became more like props than characters as they had hardly any lines whatsoever.

Did they really drop him because he was uncontrolable on the set? I feel bad for this kid. No offense to Brian, but I liked Jeremy as Chris.
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Eyes, from all accounts Jeremy was let go because he was discipline problem, which supports what Shirley said in the documentary.

At the top of the page, you'll see a link to "people and places". We have a number of interviews there, and many of the ones with those involved with the show discuss this issue. The interviews are pretty good reading in general, when you get the chance Smile
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is (D) All of the Above. Laughing

They were having a problem controlling his behavior on the set. Today, he probably would have been diagnosed as being hyperactive, etc. It was a problem. His family was being relocated, and rather than force them to fullfill their contractual obligations, which would in effect split the family between two coasts, the producers took this opportunity to solve two problems with another Chris.

I should also add that when Shirley was referring to his experience, she didn't necessarily mean his talent. There is an enormous amount of waiting around for scenes to be set up. Filming can actually be a pretty monotonous experience. So, if you are a hyperactive kid, it can de distruptive to a film set.

Last edited by Scott on Sat May 07, 2005 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brown Eyes
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gang...I'll check out the People and Places section.

Scott...are you the same Scott who's the TV historian from the DVD documentaries? If so, just wanted to say I thought you did a great job on the DVD's!
This site is so awesome. Thanks for all of your hard work!
LisaF63
Reuben's Client
Reuben's Client

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by LisaF63 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Eyes,
I second - or third the notion to read the interviews! Really interesting sttuff.

I personally liked Jeremy as Chris and its a shame that his behaviour was so bad because he was so cute in the show.

As for the reduction of screen/script time, for both the Tracy and Chris characters, I don't buy that Suzanne and Jeremy/Brian weren't either good enough actors or their characters weren't important enough.

In the first season, Tracy's character in particular was featured in several episodes and Suxanne did a very nice job especially in the pilot and "Red Woodlowe" episodes. She has a few zinger lines in the first season! Strictly on performance, Jeremy scores high with me. He had those rolling eyes and acted like a kid (rather than Danny who acted like an adult) delivering lines like, "Laure can I listen to your mouth?" Great stuff!

Now maybe the directors found it easier to work with the older actors and of course David's teen idol thing required that more shows be about him, but the show lost some of its balance. Especially in the last season, rather than bring in "Ricky" they could have develooped more of a sibling rivalry between Chris/Brian and Danny. The little kids were more than just cute!

35 years later and I'm still re-writing their scripts!! Help me!!!

Ed
Brown Eyes
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Ed. I don't buy it either. The Brady kids were the same age and they had lines in every episode throughout the run of that series. Both Suzanne and Jeremy had many lines during the first year. It changed in year 2. I have always felt it was the writers decision not to give them any lines so they could give more screen time to David and Danny. "Unbalanced" is the perfect word to describe the show once that started happening. What the writers didn't consider was that many of the shows younger fans at the time (like me, who was 8 years old) identified with Chris and Tracy. I was able to relate to the show through them. Once they became muted props, the show didn't appeal as much to me anymore. It's funny, when I was a kid, I always preferred the Brady's to the Partridge's. Now that I'm older, I prefer the Partridges. It's a shame really. Suzanne states in her interview that David Cassidy thinks he IS the Partridge Family. I think it's pretty egotistical to think that way because to me, as a big fan, The Partridge Family is all six of them, not just David. When will David, Danny, etc. get that through their heads!
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do not agree. They highlighted the performers most people wanted to see. Little girls adored DC. Danny and Dave Madden were hysterical. Shirley is Shirley. BB didn't have a teen idol and they did not have that wonderful kind of dynamic that existed between Danny and Dave. DC thinking he IS the PF is Suzanne's opinion. DC himself never said that, although Danny and Shirley both have. In fact, DC gives more credit to the PF musicians than most DC fans do!
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. DC says a lot of things, but I've never heard him say, or even imply, that he WAS the PF. FANS say that. DC talks about how hard he worked with the triple duty of acting, recording and touring. He talks about the insanity of his life at the time. He absolutely does have an ego. But I've never heard him dismiss the roles that Danny, Shirley, Susan, and Dave Madden played in the succhess of the show. On the contrary--he credits the chemistry between the cast members for much of the show's success.

I also agree with Amy on her assessment of why the younger kids' roles were so small. The talents of the other cast members were considerable, DC had a massive following, and Danny and Dave Madden had that great dynamic. How could the writers/producers not write to the cast's strengths?
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ, Amy,
I do agree that the wriitng needed to be to the strength of the lead characters. I have no issue with making David/Keith or Danny/Reuben the focal point of the show. But there could have been more room for Tracy and Chris in those scripts.

For instance the Merideth Baxter "mermaid" episode. Isn't it Chris and Danny who discover her swimming? Wouldn't it have been funny if Reuben had to try to explain to Chris what he saw? When Keith and Merideth are driving on the bus, couldn't Chris or Tracy interrupted them?

Given that the whole family traveled together it would have been funny to see the kids get on keith's or Laurie's nerves as little brothers and sisters do - rather than it always being Danny. That's is big family life!

I'm not talking about writing whole scripts for them to be featured, (though one or two a year wouldn't have been a bad idea) , but just some subtle bits to showcase them as a family. In the last season producers/writers found room to include little Ricky. They could have developed Chris and Tracy's characters more instead.

Ed
Brown Eyes
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again Ed, I agree with you. I'm not saying they had to write whole scripts around Chris and Tracy either. I would have been happy if they had given them the same amount of exposure line-wise as they had during the first season. But they didn't even get that!

It just seemed more "real" when everyone in the family had something to say as opposed to later when Chris and Tracy had no lines at all. Like you said, they made room for Ricky in season four, and that was probably the worst decision that was made during the entire run of the show.

I'm also curious....Did anyone actually LIKE that Ricky was added to the show? I've always only seen negative comments from the people who post on this forum.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like you said, they made room for Ricky in season four, and that was probably the worst decision that was made during the entire run of the show.

Exactly. This is what happens when writers are forced to incorporate kid actors into scripts. Shark jumping occurs, since little kids are cute but are generally not very good actors and aren't all that compelling as characters, IMO (Danny Bonaduce being a notable exception). I think the writers had difficulty incorporating these two actors into the scripts given the limitations presented by their ages. But I agree that they could have thrown them a line or two every once in a while.

As an adult I can see that the Chris and Tracy roles were disproportionately small, but I didn't notice that as a young fan of the show. Speaking for all (or nearly all) 10-year-old girls in 1970: Giving Chris and Tracy more lines would have been unwelcome as it would have shifted attention away from our future husband. Laughing
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, there were other viewers watching than just 10 year old girls. Laughing Laughing
TJTropea
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments... Hmmmm

Ricky: Y U C K!!!!!

Brian F: Y U C K !!!!!

Jeremy G: WOO HOO!!!!!

Suzanne C: Will she ever learn to play that damn tamborine????? But she's still rates a WOO HOO!!!!!

TJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LisaF63
Reuben's Client
Reuben's Client

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by LisaF63 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Cast! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: