[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Laugh Tracks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Laugh Tracks Reply with quote

I am I the only one....but I really prefer laugh tracks rather than "filmed before a studio audience". I get a kick at how many variations of "laughs" they put together. Sometimes it's a bunch of people, other times.... just a few. Somewhere in the industry...there are a lot of people out of a job these days. And speaking of laughs.....was watching 1st Season Disc 1 episode "When Mom Gets Married" (but she didn't even come close, did she?) and at the end, the tag of the show where the family is sitting on the bus trying to cheer Mom up as she drives down the road. Look at the reflection in the windshield, right where the red and blue paint meets. Don't mention what you see on this post, but let me know it it made you laugh! Tickled me pink!
IloveKeith
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you're the only one. I kind of prefer them too. When it's filmed infront of a studio audience the people laugh for a couple minutes and the actors have to wait until they're done. If it's not filmed infront of a studio audience then what's the point of having a laugh track? Does it make people laugh more? I'm also very anxious to see what you're talking about in that scene. I think I'm gonna pop in the DVD and watch it now :]
sunshine eyes
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have a studio laughing rather than canned laughter. Shows like I Love Lucy or All In The Family are funnier with a studio audience, like in the episode where Lucy hides eggs in her dress that break when she dances with Ricky or the episode where Sammy Davis Jr kisses Archie. I believe these two examples are memorable as they both caused a long laugh.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, TV shows aren't as funny anymore. The audience laughter was real back then. Now, it has to be sweetened because there isn't much to laugh about -- at least not at many of the tapings I have been too. Very Happy
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really miss laugh tracks - much prefer 'real' laughter. However I do enjoy listening to them to pick out the different voices. Desi Arnaz and the guy from the Bannana Splits most prominent. Great stuff.

Ed
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a life-long Lucy fan, I'm with the studio audience preferred bunch on this one. Very Happy

And Scott I know what you mean: not only are most current shows not nearly as funny as those sitcoms of yesteryear, they're done soooooo much differently now too: Now you sit in the audience and they'll re-do the same scene over and over --at least 4 or 5 times -- and still "encourage" the audience to laugh all over again, and with just as much enthusiasm as the first time you heard the stale joke(s)! All spontanaety is lost. Lucy, et. al. had a lot more respect for the studio audience back then and, IMHO, did it "right."

The most recent filming experience I found thoroughly enjoyable --and as close to the way it was done "back in the old days" was an Everybody Loves Raymond episode -- total pros! Totally hilarious too, even the "goofs" -- a running gag between Raymond and his co-star Brad Garrett -- that caused retakes. Smile
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheriffswell wrote:
I do enjoy listening to them to pick out the different voices. Desi Arnaz and the guy from the Bannana Splits most prominent. Great stuff.

Ed

What do you mean, Ed? I'm not following. Very Happy
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Yeah Ed, What do you mean? Reply with quote

That is the same question I have for you Ed. I am guess in that you are saying that in the earlier days, laugh tracks were recorded by celebrities to get "that" (laugh tracks) industry started? And I would also have to agree with Joey, that the re-recording if the same scene over and over loses it's spontenaity. Especially when the crew wants the audience to keep the same "energy". My vote still stays in the laugh track column.
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Ed was referring to -- at least about Desi Arnaz -- is that in many early episodes, you can clearly hear Desi's distinctive laugh over that of the audience. Apparently, he was just offstage, enjoying his wife's antics as much as everyone else. :D

Ironically, years later Lucy's second husband Gary Morton can also be distinctively heard over the din in her two subsequent series, The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But The Banana Splits? Confused
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of the distinctive--almost barking--laugh you could hear from Lorenzo Music on many MTM shows and other sitcoms such as Taxi! He was the voice of Carlton The Doorman on Rhoda, but that super-loud "Haw ... Haw ... Haw ..." you hear on many of those shows is the late great Lorenzo Music (also the voice of Garfield in the TV specials).

:-)
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeySoCal wrote:
The most recent filming experience I found thoroughly enjoyable --and as close to the way it was done "back in the old days" was an Everybody Loves Raymond episode -- total pros! Totally hilarious too, even the "goofs" -- a running gag between Raymond and his co-star Brad Garrett -- that caused retakes. Smile

Sometimes when I watch ILL, I notice that they left in the little "goofs" like someone stumbling over a word. I kind of like that as it seems more natural, the way people really talk. I guess it was okay to leave the little goofs in as long as it didn't cause a laugh by itself or add too much time to the scene.
IloveKeith
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And speaking of laughs.....was watching 1st Season Disc 1 episode "When Mom Gets Married" (but she didn't even come close, did she?) and at the end, the tag of the show where the family is sitting on the bus trying to cheer Mom up as she drives down the road. Look at the reflection in the windshield, right where the red and blue paint meets. Don't mention what you see on this post, but let me know it it made you laugh! Tickled me pink!

I watched it and I saw. The first season has more mistakes like that then the other seasons. One of the other episodes from the first season that had something like that was "Mom drops out." At the end of the musical performance of "I can feel your heartbeat," the camera just kind of goes off to the ceiling like someone had moved it accidentally.
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Glen Glenn Sound Reply with quote

The laugh tracks are provided by "The Glen Glenn Sound". Someone shouted out "ONE", then a "ha, ha, ha, ha, ha" or "WHAT". Laughing When I heard of the song "Boogie With Stu" by Led Zeppelin (from 1975 "Physical Graffiti") I think that singer Robert Plant at the end of the song was laughing like he heard the laugh track back then. Laughing "ha, ha, ha, ha"
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Lester Braddock Reply with quote

Ooh, ooh, ooh...here is another one. In the Lester Braddock episode, when the family starts the song "I'll Meet You Halfway" and Laurie 'plays' the piano (who's playing the violins?)....count how many times Shirley taps her tamborine! I should check this board for the bloopers section! I know it's on here somewhere. Sorry gang!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: