[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

The Garage in the pilot episode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauralambert
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: The Garage in the pilot episode Reply with quote

Why was the garage so brightly coloured in the pilot episode and, not in the rest of the first season. Every time I watch this episode it puzzles me that the garage was like this in the pilot episode. So can some please solve this mystery for me. Confused Confused Confused

While on the subject of first season episodes, I was watching episode two of season one and, what I can't fathom out is when we first see the bus there are no intrusements on the roof but the next shot suddenly there they are on the bus. Was this deliberate or was it an edit during filming, this keeps puzzling me everytime I watch this episode. Confused Confused Confused
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: pilot Reply with quote

Quote:
Why was the garage so brightly coloured in the pilot episode and, not in the rest of the first season. Every time I watch this episode it puzzles me that the garage was like this in the pilot episode. So can some please solve this mystery for me

In many cases the pilot differs slightly from the rest of the series because the network didn't order additional episodes yet. The PF living room is also set up differently. They probably build more permanent sets after the show has sold.

Smile
sunshine eyes
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kitchen was different too. Sort of like the Monkees pilot, where Mike was simply called Wool Hat and they wore gold vested uniforms they never wore again.
IloveKeith
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or in the Partridges case, they probably remodeled Laughing
RayRayNY
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thats a good observation, I noticed some of these differences too. It appears that some of the shots actually are the same sets used for the series, but in reverse. In other words; if you flip the shots taken in the kitchen, garage, etc, horizontally, they appear to be the same sets. Just reversed from left to right. This could have been done in post production, perhaps accidentally, or intentionally, the reason I do not know.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pilot was shot in December, 1969 -- almost a whole year before the series started airing. They didn't flop/reverse anything in post production. If that were the case, hair would be parted on the wrong side, and everyone would be eating with their left hands. Laughing They simply tweaked/re-designed the sets after the series got the final green light. Very Happy You're right, though -- the kitchen does look the same, only in reverse. :D

You'll also notice they use "Jeannie's" driveway (next door) in the pilot, not the Partridge's home from episodes 2 - 96. Shirley exits the station wagon through the passenger side door rather than the driver's side -- possibly because palm trees are still on the front lawn (Jeannie was still in production.) and so that you don't notice they are using Jeannie's home? Very Happy At the time, the Partridge's back door/garage area still sported a large column -- making it look more collegiate than a home. (You can see it very clearly if you watch episodes of "Hazel.") This area was re-designed when the PF got the green light, too. Plus, in 1969 the facade was still being used for the Kravitz' home on "Bewitched." (I think they ceased using the exterior once the PF started.)

Speaking of "Hazel," if you look closely when Mr. B. pulls his car into the driveway, you'll notice the "Bewitched" home hasn't been built yet. It wasn't constructed till that series premiered. So the episodes where Samantha and Darrin purchase the new home -- sans grass, trees, etc was actually authentic! Laughing:D

:::sigh:::: It's amazing what little amuses me. Confused
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Scott. Once the Partridges moved in, they used the "Dennis the Menace" facade, albeit only once, as the Kravitzes on "Bewitched.

The Partridge facade that we're all used to seeing actually debuted in "A Partridge Up a Pear Tree". Prior to that, they were using the first incarnation, which was much larger, but still a Dutch Colonial (and the "church" was still next door). That's also when they added the back.

Jeff
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall there being any major differences between the two homes though, were there? Other than the columned area by the garage/back door, that is. I know they had to widen the driveway in order to accomodate the bus. But, they took some of Jeannie's yard away and gave it to the Partridges to do that. But if the new facade was smaller, where did they reduce? Since the garage is attached, I can't see where they did that. Very Happy Confused
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first version was much taller. Also, the entrance bump-out was a straight gable instead of the gambrel gable on the "shorter" version. In addition, the spring eave was elimimated (the curve of the roof just above the first floor walls), and the front shed dormer was partially recessed. Basically, the side walls were shortened to accomodate the new breezeway to the garage, and a second chimney added to the left side.
The first floor front windows were also shortened from the first version. I could go on and on about the changes, but take a look at the front when the bus pulls out in "See Here, Private Partridge", and then in "A Partridge Up a Pear Tree". You'll see these changes, and also notice in the latter episode that the church is gone and they hadn't built the "new house" in its place yet.

My friend Adam Jones of 1164.com has tried to find out what happened that would cause such drastic changes. There was a major fire at the Ranch on Western Street about that time, which was right behind the PF facade. Or, they might just wanted to modernize the house a bit. Maybe one of the producers could provide the answer!

Jeff
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the info Jeff. I'll have to check out those episodes and compare. It might be interesting to see what Bob Claver or Paul Junger Witt have to say about it all. If I remember correctly, some of San Juan Puerto Rico was between the PF back yard and the Western town. (I've been watching some Flying Nun episodes and I recognize a lot of buildings.) It's weird that they changed the PF home so much, yet also kept it the same after remodeling. You wonder why they just didn't change the back door area, deleting the column, and leave the rest of it, since the new home design pretty much matched the old (basic shape wise, anyway). I wish I could track down detailed photos of what the Ranch looked like back then. Now, it's mostly torn down with the exception of the PF street and some of the wooded area where the Walton's home is. The Western Town is a parking lot and the WB Network offices are there too.

There's a new building going up where the old Taco Stand and one of the gas stations used to be (by the Hollywood Way entrance). It looks like we are moving our offices to the Ranch early next year. It'll be cool to have lunch on the Partridge's front lawn every day. Laughing :D

We used to have a link in the People and Places section to a website that had incredible aerial views of the Ranch. But, at some point I think it stopped working. I wish I could remember who owned the site because it was fascinating. I don't think it was 1164.com, though I do recall the name "Adam." Very Happy
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, 1164.com is still up (it is Adam's site), but hasn't been updated in a while. While it does focus on the "Bewitched" facade, it has some fantastic aerial shots, as well as hundreds of photos of all of the Ranch buildings, including some that have been torn down. You can spend hours on it exploring everything about the Partridge's neighborbood.

I still plan to finish my Partridge house drawings as soon as I get a break from my "paying" projects. Thanks to Adam I have pretty specific dimensions.

Scott, if you could use your connections to find out the real story behind the remodel, that would be great. There must still be people working at the Ranch who would know! Very Happy
Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: