[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

We are Family on Youtube
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lainey
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: We are Family on Youtube Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you have seen this, I know it was shown in the UK not sure of the US though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApKhwEI_t_c
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Laney, Great link. I especially liked the info about the show first being concieved for the Cowsills. The producers usually avoided acknowledging that they were the primary inspiration for the Partridge Family, though it always seemed pretty obvious - like the idea of Shirley being a "nervous" mother, a thread that didn't survive long at all. (A friend of mine saw the Cowsills perform in 1969 and remembers that the mother kept breaking down and running off stage during the concert. As I understand it, Mrs. Cowsill actually died many years later in a mental hospital.)

This perspective was usually glossed over in most of the various U.S. documentaries about the same subject. Perhaps the producers were concerned about a law suit, but apparently the Cowsills themselves, in spite of the hard times that followed their career, never blamed the Partridge Family. I heard that Shirley Jones was recently featured at a reunion concert for the Cowsills at the ElRay Room in LA.

All in all, the documentary was a fresh approach to an old idea. I liked it.

Last edited by Punky on Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:58 pm; edited 12 times in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punky wrote:
As I understand it, Mrs. Cowsill actually died many years later in a mental hospital.)

Barbara Cowsill died from emphysema in January, 1985. She wasn't in a mental hospital.
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mental hospital rumour just won't go away, will it?

Darryl
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greely Winger wrote:
The mental hospital rumour just won't go away, will it?

Never heard that one before. I thought the emphysema fact was widely known. I've also heard it was cancer that took her. But never anything as outrageous as a mental hospital. Confused
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry thats what I read on the Cowsills chat board a few years back, though you're right, I can't find it anywhere now, not even on Google. Now I didn't say she didn't die from emphysyma, but that she had been hospitalized for mental illness at the time of her death.

In the absence of any reliable sources though, apparently you're right, this is just a rumor, though I'm not sure why you would call it 'outrageous'?

In my search I found one article that claims she committed suicide, and some stuff about her being battered by her husband, but very little else about her mental status, and nothing about her hospitalization.

According to my friend who followed them, she was considered "nervous" though, and I believe the initial inspiration for the Shirley Partridge character (whose nervousness didn't last much past the pilot episode.)

I think the following clip illustrates nicely how this unique group; a Mom and her kids, inspired the model for the Partridge Family TV Show. Check out the appearances on Merv, Mike Douglas, and even the Johnny Cash show. For those of us who remember that time just before the 70s, see if this doesn't take you back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2olJkdED0hM

Last edited by Punky on Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:33 am; edited 4 times in total
dannyph
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool song by the Cowsills, but it must be fairly modern. It sounds like their tribute to their past. Great to see this video, never realized they were ever on the Johnny Cash Show. I'd heard the Mental Institution rumor too, glad to hear it wasn't true, although this family seemed to have enough problems without it. I can't recall any other band in that era that was like the Cowsills, so I can't imagine PF could have been modeled after anyone else. A little girl playing tambourine, a Mom with short blonde hair even.
RayRayNY
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's not a rumor, its true according to her son Bob, Barbara Cowsill spent much of her last years in a Psych hospital, apparently depressed and grieving from the tragedy that had befallen her family.

Last edited by RayRayNY on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
dannyph
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Yes, sad but true. I ran across the interview as well recently (while looking at PF clips, strangely enough). Though now I can't recall whether he said she died while institutionalized or that she simply Had been intitutionalized at times over the years. The Cowsills story may be a sad one, but I still enjoy their records, and I think it's so cool that they were all real musicians. That little girl could play the heck out of a tambourine even. I hear she still makes music, anybody heard anything about that?
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks, but I did a pretty thorough search and could not verify it. To quote Reuben, "Do you have that in writing?" What clip?
RayRayNY
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Greely Winger" you got awfully quiet, can you say why this was an a outrageous rumor that "just wont go away"? There was a show last year on VH1 called Bubblegum Babylon which I have on VHS. Bob Cowsill was one of the people interviewed. The exact quote goes as follows:

"
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Bob Cowsill (I think it was Bob) on Inside Edition back in the late 80's where this was mentioned. I didn't go quiet about it. I just didn't have anything to add yet. I remember recording the interview. Don't know if I still have it yet. Very Happy
I don't think she died in the hospital, but that's just my opinion.

Darryl
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayRay, you beat me to it! :D

I asked Lisa Sutton about this, as she's quite the pop culture expert, and (I believe) she even worked on the Bubblegum Babylon special. She confirmed that Barbara Cowsill did spend time in a psychiatric hospital. Thanks for being able to verify the info! Very Happy
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oK I got the link, thank you Lee. This is an excerpt from the show Bubblegum Babylon. Thank you Ray ray, Scott and God Bless Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAp-9SnqCZ0
RayRayNY
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes "Punky" and God bless nervous mothers everywhere. I am curious about this concert with Shirley Jones and the Cowsills. How did something like that even come about after all these years?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: