[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Where the heck is San Peublo?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...St. Elsewhere... Rolling Eyes ...(Okay, I'll stop now)... Applause
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highway To Heaven? Laughing :lol:

I remember speaking with someone who worked on the show (I can't remember if it was Bob Claver, Mel Swope or Paul Junger Witt) and asking a specific question about the show. (It was probably about re-using musical sequences, or why the show deviated from it's first season on-the-road format, but I can't exactly recall without going through hours and hours of interview tape.) It was explained to me that these shows weren't really meant to be dissected and scrutinized so meticulously. It was only the advent of VCRs and now DVDs that allowed people to do so. There is a certain amount of artistic license used when creating an episode. I know this to be true on the numerous series I have worked on. I'm always amazed when producers get letters pointing out inconsistencies in stories -- and this is in animation! Laughing Laughing

Here is the response to the San Pueblo question I got from Lisa Sutton. She also goes back and forth as to where they probably lived, and she offers a few neat observations:

Funny. I am not one for picking apart episodes so I never really studied on this one. My small mind just always assumed it was in So Cal because as a kid I recognized the locations AS So Cal. Having a picnic in Tapia Park? Well, then they must live in the valley somewhere. But I suppose only someone who lived here would think that.

Of course it was a made up town name (though there is a San Pueblo district in Texas near San Antonio) so they didn't want it to be a specific place, just a small town where show biz people have not settled. Im sure no one ever thought about it beyond making up a town name. It was originally supposed to be a generic town in Ohio to suggest Middle America. The idea is they are naive about show biz, so they're not in any big city or large suburb. California is so full of towns that start with SAN or SANTA, so it's pretty impossible to pinpoint without using your own set of assumptions, thought the whole Middle America thing is to suggest this is just an ORDINARY family in an ORDINARY town.

If you're going to tear it apart, they can't live in any So Cal location where celebs have settled (since they are the big cheese to all their school chums and Bobby Conway) so that eliminates a lot of places. We don't see palm trees and they never talk about going to the beach, so they must live inland or where it is too cold to consider hanging out near the beach, but close enough to drive to LA just to try and get an agent. To get to Hollywood, they come riding down Highway 1 (actually, it always bugged me that they were shown going the wrong way on PCH) so they must live somewhere inland and North of LA enough to not attract celebs or palm trees, but close enough to drive to Vegas and ghost towns and relatively close to the Mountains so they can go camping without bitching about a long drive or the cold. They never complain about the heat, either, so they cant live in an desert area. It was always sunny and perfect, which makes ME think of Southern Cal too. HOWEVER, they also drove down PCH when they came from Ohio in the Exec pilot, which might explain why they're diving the wrong way on PCH--they took the 10 so far they got lost and kept driving.

One goof-- they drive to LA to do the Johnny Cash Show, not to get a manager. Reuben was a record company exec doing radio promo in San Pueblo, and there's a pretty big airport there, which they must live close to since Danny & Tracy get there and back without any trouble. We can assume that Reuben was on a promo junket of some kind meeting Radio people in different towns, and didn't necessarily fly in from LA. I popped in the DVD to see if there was any mention in the 2nd episode of Rueben becoming their manager and the confusion continues-- They're on a "long road trip" when they hit Whiplash Willie, who mentions the salt in the air (causing the dent that was in the car already to rust instantly.) BUT he lives in their town, so I guess they do live near the coast.

Neat observations, but I doubt that the Whiplash Willie writer thought about making sure the Partridge's town has salt air when he went for the punch line. I tend to agree that the episodes weren't meant to be dissected so much. But it's fun to speculate. :D

Maybe we should ask Bernard Slade??
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the dissection issue. You can take the fun out of anything if you pick it apart too much. If I grumbled everytime little Ricky dropped by in season four--and his sister Donna (on whom I had a major crush) DIDN'T, I would certifiably insane by now! Laughing
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Punky noted, in addtion to "A Partridge by Any Other Name", there is a definite reference in "See Here Private Partridge". Reuben tells Shirley something like he got the appointment moved to the Army induction office in LA (where they were recording the album) so they won't have to go back to Northern CA.

I don't know exactly where San Pueblo is, but it seems like a nice, peaceful, friendly little town and I think I'd like to live there.
Laughing
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no nitpicking, dissecting or theorizing here. The answer my friends is really so very simple.

I asked anybody on the board if they could produce some specific references in the scripts to Southern Cali. Out of all the people who post here, many who know these episodes inside and out, no one has come up with any. Confused

So in all of 96 Partridge Family episodes there is basically no evidence of San Pueblo being in Southern California, or any other location. There is very specific evidence of it being in Northern California, as we've now seen. I'm not seeing what the resistance is about. Maybe this is hard for some, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone, but the Partridge Family never lived in Southern California. Surprised

"Where the heck is San Pueblo"? Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, there is only one very simple conclusion. Wink

Last edited by Punky on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:56 pm; edited 22 times in total
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben tells Shirley something like he got the appointment moved to the Army induction office in LA (where they were recording the album) so they won't have to go back to Northern CA.

Here's what Reuben says (after Shirley says she's going home to straighten out Danny's records):

"...I did manage to get Danny's draft records changed to the LA induction center...at least now you don't have to hijack a plane to Northern California."

So, hopefully that settles that! Of course, in the inconsistent continuity of the Partridge Family, the house could've floated south in the four years they were on the air. Hell, Chris' hair turned blond by the second year, and Grandpa's changed his name, got fat, balder and shorter by the fourth season (of course, so did MY grandpa! Laughing)! Then there's Snake, who looked an awful lot like a meathead when we first saw him, but then a lot like Jim Rockford's shady friend, Angel, the next time we saw him!
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punky wrote:

I asked anybody on the board if they could produce some specific references in the scripts to Southern Cali. Out of all the people who post here, many who know these episodes inside and out, no one has come up with any.

Not yet anyways. :wink:

Punky wrote:
So in all of 96 Partridge Family episodes there is basically no evidence of San Pueblo being in Southern California, or any other location.

I dunno -- I don't have time to scour through 94 other episodes. Laughing

Punky wrote:
I'm not seeing what the resistance is about.

Cuz it's fun to yank yer chain? Laughing :wink:

Seriously though, I don't think I am the only one that never noticed the Northern California references before. Hell -- Lisa Sutton -- who I think is pretty much the be-all-and-end-all as far as Partridge Family information goes, didn't really catch on either. So, I think I'm in pretty good company. Laughing Wink And, I wouldn't call it "resistance" or take it personally. After all, isn't that what a discussion board is supposed to be for?

But she just emailed me with the same "Private Partridge" information as it was being posted here. After hearing the same line that TVGord quoted, she feels they belong in Northern California. So, if it's good enough for her (and Marjorie and Punky, natch Wink) it's good enough for me, too. Northern California it is. Very Happy But I'll admit I am stunned that I never caught that. I thought I knew these episodes ad nauseum. It's fun to learn something new. :D

Anyone care to debate just how far north?? Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Scott on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

39.999999 miles north of Napa County? Rolling Eyes Wink
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between Napa, Napa County and Napa Valley? Or isn't there any? Just curious -- not debating. I can't remember being there. I've only been to SF once and Sonomo once. (Is that where the Sequoias are? I fergit.)
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott, no offense taken, its all in good fun. To answer your question, Napa is a town in the North Bay, Napa County is a County, and Napa Valley is an area of the County known for it's wine, like Sonoma. There are Sequoias there, but I think they are all over the North Bay as well. If you haven't been up North lately, you really should come up for a visit. It is quite a wonderful place, especially the Bay Area where I live.

Last edited by Punky on Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Seems like a stupid question now that I read. The town of Napa is in Napa County (duh) and the Valley area is known for it's wine (double-duh). I've only been to SF once, when I traveled with visiting relatives. We did Alcatraz and other touristy things, (is there a chocolate factory there?) then drove to Sonoma for some wine tasting and saw the Sequoias. It was rather low-key. I should go back with friends this time -- ones that like to take advantage of the area ad what it has to offer. I saw so little of it.
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No WONDER you missed San Pueblo!Wink
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punky wrote:
No WONDER you missed San Pueblo!Wink

Oh, I didn't miss it -- it's down here, next to Studio City. Shocked Angel Dancing Silenced Whistle d'oh!
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Scott Laughing Laughing Laughing

I still can't buy the fact that Chris was a Dodgers fan (instead of a Giants fan). I don't think that would have gone over well with the other boys in school!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: