[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Where the heck is San Peublo?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Scott, you are certainly correct about their being inconsistencies in the scripts.

But as far as I can see this isn't one of them. In searching for comments about the location, I have only found references to San Pueblo being in Northern California. Outside of the unused Pilot, no comments that would indicate otherwise.

Now I have not gone through all of Season 3 or 4 however, so maybe there are some lines that state another location? If so I would love to know what they are. So far I've found no specific contradictions to the Northern Cali location.

And Marjorie, I'm not completely following your logic about the beaches. 40 miles in any direction from the town of Napa (not Napa county) is still the Bay Area.

Last edited by Punky on Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:00 am; edited 3 times in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punky wrote:

And 40 miles in any direction from the town of Napa (not Napa county) is still the Bay Area.

Don't know if this matters, as I've only bothered traveling north once. But the exact line from the episode is " 40 miles from Napa County," not "Napa" or "Napa Valley." Confused Either way, it's not written as LA.
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Scott, I stand corrected, that does expand the circumference by a few miles but it's still very much North.

Last edited by Punky on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said: I'm not familiar with Northen California -- and either way this particular episode is (now) obviously NOT written as Southern California. Very Happy But, since you differentiated between Napa and Napa County in your previous post to Marjorie, I was just wondering -- that's all. Silenced :roll:

I would be curious to see what references (if any) are made in any of the scripts written by Bernard Slade. That -- to ME -- would be the definitive location. Very Happy

Isn't it funny what stuff fans will dissect?? I wonder if the Brady Boards do this. Laughing Very Happy

Last edited by Scott on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punky, I knew I didn't explain the beach thing very well but what I was trying to say is that 40 miles from Napa County could or could not be the Bay Area but since they seemed to live within relative close proximity to a beach, it seemed more likely than not that it was in fact in the Bay Area.

I don't know what the exact geographic boundaries of the Bay Area are. I was looking at a map and just thought that 40 miles north from the northern most point of Napa County (not Napa) just seemed a little far to be in the Bay Area. But you certainly could be right and probably are. I think we all agree now that San Pueblo was closer to San Francisco that LA. Smile

Speaking of the Brady Bunch. When I was little and lived in Southern CA, I swore I knew exactly where the Brady's house was. There was an area near a freeway (not sure which one and even if I knew, freeways in So Cal went by names not numbers in those days) that looked to me to look very much like some of the exteriors shots of the house - a hilly residental area. Everytime we drove by, I would think to myself "that's where the Brady house is."
But I'm sure it wasn't. Smile
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I was a kid I always understood San Pueblo to be in Northern Cali. There are other episodes that reference Northern California as their address, 'See Here Private Partridge' is another. I've never noticed any episodes that indicate any other location, have you? Especially with such specificity. That's why I was a little confused by this discussion. Of course I used to think it was a real town too, but I would be really curious to see any lines from episodes that actually contradict the Northern Cali location. Are there any?

Last edited by Punky on Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:19 am; edited 18 times in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjorie63 wrote:
I think we all agree now that San Pueblo was closer to San Francisco that LA. Smile

Yup -- as sure as I'm sure Shirley's dad was named Fred -- oops I mean Walter. Wait -- was it Irving? Laughing Laughing :lol:

Marjorie63 wrote:
Speaking of the Brady Bunch. When I was little and lived in Southern CA, I swore I knew exactly where the Brady's house was. There was an area near a freeway (not sure which one and even if I knew, freeways in So Cal went by names not numbers in those days) that looked to me to look very much like some of the exteriors shots of the house - a hilly residental area. Everytime we drove by, I would think to myself "that's where the Brady house is."
But I'm sure it wasn't. Smile

Actually, you're right, Marjorie. The exterior used for the Bradys home is in Studio City not too far from Vineland Avenue and Aqua Vista. I think the street's name is "Dilling" (down the road from where Robert Blake lived). That's also near the 101, 134 and 170 freeways. If you face the house, you see the hills south of Ventura Boulevard behind them. You've got a pretty good memory if you havent lived there since you were a kid. Very Happy

Last edited by Scott on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oK now I am even more confused. The Walter/Fred Renfrew example refers to times when two distinct names were used and a clear contradiction was made in the scripts.

So if there are no examples in any of the 96 episodes where Southern Cali, or any other specific location is stated, then there were no contradictions made in this case. And the idea that they lived anywhere other than Northern California would simply be mistaken, no?

Unless I've missed something, wouldn't this answer the question "Where the heck is San Pueblo?" pretty much definitively?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably. I can't recall an actual episode where Southern California was verbally referenced. I always thought it was implied -- although not very strongly, which is why I think most people don't really know.

It's funny -- I asked a bunch of people at a party last night where they thought San Pueblo was, and they all answered Southern California, too. Maybe it's because they filmed the exterior shots along Pacific Coast Highway, Burbank, etc., that it just seemed a natural assumption. I dunno. Also, depending on the writer there were so many inconsistencies in the scripts at times (like Walter/Fred Renfrew, where Reuben actually lived, etc.), it wouldn't surprise me if their location was inconsistant too. I honestly don't have the time to scour 96 episodes for an example. I was really surprised to see an episode actually mention Northern California. So, since it was actually mentioned, I guess "40 miles from Napa County" seems plausible. Very Happy
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it seemed like it started out in Northern California, but over time the writers thought it would make more sense for them to be in Southern CA, where the music business is focused and where climate is the same as the location where it's filmed. So they just started implying Southern CA. That's how I've always thought if it, but I'm probably full of baloney as usual.

It always cracks me up when I look at exterior scenes in shows like The Waltons or Little House on the Prairie--they were supposed to be set in Virginia and MN respectively, yet looked absolutely nothing like either of those very green places. Laughing
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ wrote:

It always cracks me up when I look at exterior scenes in shows like The Waltons or Little House on the Prairie--they were supposed to be set in Virginia and MN respectively, yet looked absolutely nothing like either of those very green places. Laughing

See -- I always thought the Waltons looked like the backlot at Warner Bros., and Little House on the Prairie looked like a State Park in Agoura Hills. Ooops -- wait -- they were! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I researched a little further and asked Lisa Sutton her thoughts on this matter. She had a lot of cool observations. But, her general thoughts were Southern California too. Not because specific episodes verbally mentioned Los Angeles area but, as I indicated before: the SoCal locaions filmed were so well know to people that live here. If I get her permission to copy/paste, I'll include it in this thread. :D

I don't really think there's an "official" answer as far as the production goes. I believe they lived wherever it suited that week's story. But it's really interesting to find an episode that actually mentions Napa County. That was a new one for me. Very Happy Another thought, is they don't want to specify definitively so the viewer can relate better to the story. i.e.: if they mention a California city, can Peoria relate?

Shirley has said that one of the reasons the stories became more about the family and less about the travel/business/stardom is because the averge viewer can relate to a family and their problems, but can't necessarily relate to a family being famous. Perhaps the same can be said for an actual locale? I dunno -- I'm just blabbering/hypothesizing. maybe that's why the Brady's never mentioned a town either?
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, your not blathering, Scott. As we all know, TV shows have a long history of being in Everytown so everyone could relate. We associate the practice with olde timee shows such as The Partridge Family and Leave It To Beaver, but even shows with more "realism", such as Hill Street Blues and The Wonder Years never mentioned a locale, either. I think any references to The Partridge Family being in a specific region of California aren't meant to be taken as gospel.

I'm going to watch A Partridge By Any Other Name this afternoon, though. That's a cool "catch".
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm sure someone will be quick to point out (so I'll do it first) that for every series that doesn't specify a locale, there are many that do (Bewitched, Jeannie, King of QUEENS, etc.) Laughing Laughing Laughing
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston Public, Boston Legal, Boston Common, LA Law, Chicago Hope, Chicago Story, WKRP In Cincinnati, Mayberry RFD...Wink Whistle
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing There ya go! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: