[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Where the heck is San Peublo?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy Santa Barbara as an area they lived in. Makes sense to me.

Hmmm. Could that tunnel you're referring to be in the Santa Monica/Malibu area, near the 10 Freeway?? I know a lot of the stock footage was filmed along the Pacific Coast Highway. Maybe that's why I always thought San Pueblo was more southern than northern California. Or, as Ah-nold says, "Cah-lee-phone-ya." Rolling Eyes Laughing Brick wall d'oh! Wink
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Hmmm. Could that tunnel you're referring to be in the Santa Monica/Malibu area, near the 10 Freeway??

That's certainly a possibility. My family briefly lived in Santa Monica before moving to the Valley. I was only 3-4 years old so I don't know if my memories are from then or later when we'd be in that area.
dannyph
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left out the "E" Scott. I believe it's Cah-lee-phone-E-uh Smile
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, MJ! I can actually walk to one of those exterior locations a popular episode was filmed at, its so close to where I live now. Very Happy

That tunnel/bridge looks familiar too, so I'll have to run that scene to check it out and report back. ;)

It seemed, as often happens with any long-running show, that its "particulars" shifted/varied as warranted by the script. Although I can't remember the exact episode, I do remember once that Reuben says as part of his line reading the phrase "...here in Los Angeles" -- I just can't recall now in what context. I believe that the scene was set in the PF living room. Wish I could remember which episode it was, but am pretty sure it's one which is included on one of the DVD sets. Still, if memory serves there was more than one occasion where they seemed to hint that it could have been somewhere in the Bay area -- I don't remember why I recall that, but I do, so perhaps they never really pinned it down but it would change as I said before as dictated by the script (often happens when a show utilizes freelance writers). Cool
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the tunnel was the one from Hollywood into the valley from the 101/110 freeways
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sunshine eyes
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again we never knew the exact location on the BB. I always assume that the Bradys lived in Riverside, CA or maybe Pasedena but I know it's in the LA area.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember in certain episodes Reuben had to fly in from out of town? Yet when Chris and Tracy ran away from home, the wound up walking to Reuben's apartment? Of course, he could have moved closer to the family, but we were never told that. Laughing
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always assumed that it was just implied, as as you say in the first season, he always had to travel/fly to come in for the rescue (Danny was always calling him at the most inopportune times) and from S2 on, he seemed to practically be a neighbor, most notably in the Chris & Tracy run away ep. Very Happy
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There probably isn't a definitive answer as to where in CA San Pueblo is supposed to be. I doubt that the writers had a particular area of the state in mind. I am curious though as to why the location was changed from Ohio to California.
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjorie,

I think the change to California was because Ohio is just too far removed from the showbiz scene and the Partridges would probably have had to move to LA or Vegas, and the show would have had to deal with the culture shock of moving from middle America to the epicenter of the showbiz world. By having them already in California, they could be more like the typical family the creators always tried to keep them.

That's just my hunch. Smile
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See to me -- and never having seen the original pilot with the Ohio reference -- it made sense that they lived in a small town somewhere, anywhere in California as it still would have been a "big deal" to arrive in LA and drive down Hollywood Boulevard and all the way to Las Vegas: I'm from a small town in the Central Valley of California but when I was a kid, going all the way to Disneyland -- about an eight hour drive -- was quite the big deal -- especially when we only ended up doing it once! (Eight hours in a station wagon with no A/C or power anything with five screaming kids under 13?? How did Shirley do it every week! Shocked)

Given that, it would have been totally unbelievable to me that someone as sharp as Shirley would intentionally buy a dilapadated (sp?) old bus and then have to drive it and five kids -- stick shift and no power steering yet -- "all the way" from Ohio to points West, thousands of miles away. She was too smart for that! Cool

Besides... she'd have been very, very bushed! Wink
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Joey!! There would be just as much "culture shock" coming from anywhere in CA outside of the LA area as there would be from Ohio or anywhere outside of the state.

And even though your childhood trip to Disneyland was decades ago, you still have my pity. A long trip through the Central Valley without AC (I'm assuming it was summer) and all those kids sounds like pure torture!!! Laughing
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Where The Heck Is San Pueblo? Reply with quote

Sorry Guys, but most of this is just wrong. I am really surprised to hear this rampant speculation from a crew of such Partridge Die-Hards! I always thought it was sort of an understood, I guess not.

Like I said before, The Partridge Family lived in the Bay Area, Northern California, exactly "40 miles from Napa". Just watch 'A Partridge By Any Other Name'. (Most Southern Californians don't "picnic in Napa".)

There are references to the location in other episodes as well.
Wink

Last edited by Punky on Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Where The Heck Is San Pueblo? Reply with quote

Punky wrote:
Sorry Guys, but most of this is just wrong. The Partridge Family lived in the Bay Area, Northern California, exactly "40 miles from Napa". Just watch 'A Partridge By Any Other Name'. (Most Southern Californians don't "picnic in Napa".)
Wink

Wow! I never noticed the Napa County reference before. But we are talking about the same show that calls Shirley's father "Fred" in three episodes and then "Walter" in another, right?? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Perhaps there's "rampant speculation" because there are several other inconsistencies in the series. (Just check out the "Nip-picking Episodes" thread if you doubt it. Laughing Laughing Laughing ) But hey -- I didn't think it was the PF's version of "Sunshine" used in the 7-UP commercials at first, so you can't always go by me. Laughing

I'll have to check the vintage press information packs I have from Screen Gems. Maybe something is mentioned in there. But they may not be helpful either, as several call "Shirley" by her original name of "Connie."
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for Punky to post in this thread because I remember this topic coming up years ago and I remember Punky posting something that convinced me that San Pueblo was in Northern CA but I couldn't remember what it was.

However being 40 miles from Napa County doesn't necessarily mean that they lived in the Bay Area. They could have lived 40 miles north of Napa county for example and I don't think that that would be considered by anyone to be in the Bay Area. However there are references in "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Partridge" that they are going to go to the beach and I'm sure that would be a sandy type beach that one could find in or close to the Bay Area and not the very cold rocky beaches that one would find in areas north of the Bay Area. (Is this making any sense???) So in conclusion, I think Punky is right!! Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: