[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Did I just hear "Sunshine" in a commercial?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I still say it's not David. The singer's voice sounds deeper, and some of the words are pronounced a bit differently.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. IMO, the 30 second clip on the 7 Up website can't be anyone but David Cassidy. The 15-second clip left me in doubt when I heard it on TV, but after listening to the clip online, I'm no longer in doubt. To my ears it's DC.

I posed the question to the ad agency. Maybe they're shoot an answer back if they don't think I'm a total crackpot. Laughing
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the :30 spot last night and it is difficult to hear under the announcer, but I could have sworn it sounded different. I didn't go to their site with the link provided earlier, though -- maybe it's clearer there.
MarciaPatridge
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would somone rerecord an obscure song and make it sound like David Cassidy and the PF in 2006?? A song that couldnt cost much to license? And if they did, can you imagine what a huge settlement David will get when he sues??? Confused
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarciaPatridge wrote:
Why on earth would somone rerecord an obscure song and make it sound like David Cassidy and the PF in 2006?? A song that couldnt cost much to license? And if they did, can you imagine what a huge settlement David will get when he sues??? Confused

* Because it's cheaper to clear song rights with a publisher/songwriter than it is to clear rights to use a sound recording. It's done fairly often.

* It can cost a LOT to license rights to sound recordings, even obscure ones.

* David has no rights with regard to this song (as opposed to the recording) and can't prevent anyone from recording it for any use whatesoever.

That said, I think Bette Midler did file a right of privacy suit when a song identified with her was re-recorded to immitate her voice. She claimed that her image was being used to sell products without her permission. Can't remember who won. I suppose DC could file a right of privacy suit if someone were immitating his voice to sell soda pop. But it would cost a fortune and he would be nuts to do it.

But I agree that there would be no need to immitate DC's voice so closely when he is not identified in the public's memory with this song.
BonnieNY
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my 2 cents....

Sure sounds like DC to me! Very Happy
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ - Do you mean that because "The Partridge Family" was credited with recording "Sunshine" (and was an album track) therefore, the public would not identify David Cassidy as the singer? Apart from the fact that "Sunshine" is a good song, isn't playing into the public's memory a marekting tool?

This whole thing of DC or Not DC might be solved if we look for clues in the actual PF crossword puzzle - maybe it is Simone singing! (Or a distant relative!)

Ed
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it in the next room once last night -- probably the 30 second version; I don't think I've seen the 10 second one yet -- and could tell it was the original -- albeit edited -- PF track! To me, it's not just DC's distinctive voice, it's the entire recording, right down to the handclaps. If someone went to the trouble of replicating this, they sure did an amazing job! (IMHO, DC didn't do this as well when he replicated the familiar songs for his cheesy TVM -- and he used the original background singers!!) Shocked

Perhaps because they don't use the song/recording in its 3+ minute entirety, the cost issue is moot and/or minimized?? Just a thought.

I still contend it's "our" group and lead singer, not a copy, even though it has definitely been edited for time/to fit the ad.

Question: for those thinking it isn't the original, how are you hearing the ad? The reason I ask is that my TV audio is played through a surround sound set-up, making it pretty easy to hear distinctly, even though the music is in the background over the voiceover. Perhaps if you're only hearing it through a single, small 3" or so "regular" TV's speaker it may not be as distinct?? Just a thought. :?

PJ, I believe if I recall correctly, Bette won that precedent setting lawsuit, and I think it was against Ford, because they replicated -- and did quite an amazing job, but I could tell it wasn't really her -- her hit version of Do You Wanna Dance for one of their car (can't recall which model) ads. Very Happy
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheriffswell wrote:
PJ - Do you mean that because "The Partridge Family" was credited with recording "Sunshine" (and was an album track) therefore, the public would not identify David Cassidy as the singer? Apart from the fact that "Sunshine" is a good song, isn't playing into the public's memory a marekting tool?

I meant that I don't think members of the general public will remember that they've heard this song before, so they're highly unlikely to remember that it's a PF/DC song. So why bother to immitate DC's recorded vocals so closely? I could see doing an immitation of ITILY, IWUILTM, Albuquerque, ICFYHB, etc., but not a totally obscure song like Sunshine. I think this song is being used because it fit with whatever message/sound they were going for.
Randy64
Official Bus Driver

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first heard the ad online and my first thought was that it sounded like DC and TPF. Although, as I said before, the lead vocals seemed to be amplified over the backup singers. Then today I heard it for the first time on a small TV and I didn't think it sounded much like DC and TPF. So, yes Joey, the medium on which you hear it does seem to make a difference, to me anyway.

I just noticed, it's my 100th post! Yeah! Very Happy
JefferyK
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree: I don't think the general public associates "Sunshine" with the Partridge Family. I understand why the 7UP folks might want to use a rerecording instead of the original, but I don't understand why they would want to closely imitate the Partridge Family recording.

P.S. They reformulated 7UP! The shame! The horror! Evil or Very Mad
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarciaPatridge wrote:

But it DOES cost a lot to license. That's ONE reason why I don't think it's the PF. Don't you remember that it was cheaper for DC to reassemble the musicians, singers and arrangements, and re-record every single song used in his TV movie than it was to license the rights to use the original PF versions????

Also, I doubt they are trying to replicate the PF's sound in 2006 as you suggest. I just thought they recorded a song and it was written that way. Maybe not. But it's just MY opinion. MY opinion is certainly NOT the be all and end all.
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure sounds like the original to me-- David's voice was raspier then.
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I asked Lisa Sutton what her thoughts were, and she said that she's fairly certain that it IS the PF/DC's recording. So, if she says so, it must be.

Fortunately, I never said it WASN'T -- I just said in MY opinion it didn't sound like it was. So, technically I wasn't wrong. So, my record of always being right is still secure. Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink d'oh! Dancing Eh? Shhh Speak to the hand
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
You are everything and everything is you goo goo ca choo! Thanks for checking w/Lisa. I understand what you you've been saying. The only reason I can come up with for having someone replicate the "Partrdige Track" is that there are have been so many songs from the late 60's, early 70's used in commericals, they (7-up ad people) may have wanted to capture that style for a similar effect. Of course someone could have writtten a 'sound-alike' song that would be representative of the PF sound.

PJ - thanks for your explanation.

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: