[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Did I just hear "Sunshine" in a commercial?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rugger57
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hearing the 7-Up ad almost on a daily basis on more than one cable channel these days. They have even filmed a new visual segment around it. Commercial is going strong these days, and I am suprised that it has been a year since it's first airing!
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David said in his blog the other day that he is not singing on that commercial. You would think he would know, but I can't get my mind around that. The lead vocal in the commercial is exactly the same as the original to my ears. Exactly. Why would they go to the trouble of making an exact copy of a song that few people (other than core DC fans) remember? Maybe DC forgot that he recorded it for the PF. :lol:

Here's the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-LCYUKbJA

The commercial is here:

http://www.7up.com/
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, PJ: Very Happy

While I can't access these sites with this Flintstones' equipment, Laughing I HAVE seen the commercial more than once and I would have SWORN on a stack of "Screaming, Yellow Zonkers" Razz that the singer WAS, INDEED, David Surprised and was as SURPRISED Shocked as anyone else here to discover it ISN'T!

Still, as you say, maybe he FORGOT (admittedly, there are PARTS of the 70s that remain a bit "hazy" for me as well, Embarassed if you get my drift) and he's only human, too, isn't he.

This little "mystery" brings to mind ANOTHER TV commercial I saw several years ago. The ad was for the latest CD by a singer whose voice was a dead ringer (no pun intended Rolling Eyes ) for the late, great King, Elvis!! I remember how TRULY DISTURBING I found it hearing "Elvis" sing songs from the '80s and '90s from (what seemed to be) beyond the grave. Shocked I've stated all this to say that I suppose it's possible the SAME happened with DC and the 7-UP commercial (though WHY they'd go that route when David is still alive and well -- even if he had been approached by the company and declined the offer, or whatever -- is BEYOND my comprehension. Confused ).
lauralambert
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Did I Just Hear "Sunshine" In A Commercial Reply with quote

Even though, I couldn't hear the other commercial - I'm sure that David wouldn't have done the 7-up commercial and then forget that he'd done it. Like I said without hearing the other commercial, I really can't comment on if it is David, it well be David, unless it's a singer who's able to sing like David, and did the commercial.

Laura
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, after all this time even I could have sworn it was David and the PF. I wonder who the bozo was that said -- in the beginning -- that it WASN'T David and the PF?? Oh yeah -- it was ME! Shocked Laughing

http://www.cmongethappy.com/bulletin/viewtopic.php?t=1256&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

BTW: Where is David's blog?? Confused

OK, I just listened to it on the 7UP website and I have to disagree with David. Could he not remember he recorded that song? I know he's not that familiar with his catalog. (He thought he sang lead on "Let The Good Times In" and "Together" untill he was reminded otherwise.) Confused

Last edited by Scott on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura, I don't think anyone thought David DID the commerical-just that the song from PF was used. So he could have forgotten a song he recorded 30+ years ago and was later used in a TV commercial. I agree even if he forgot someone would remond him! Good call, Scott! Applause
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the original PF recording, would David have received some kind of payment for its use?

I don't care what David says, I can't believe that's NOT his voice!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking. Even if he forgot he recorded it in 1973, they would have had to pay to use the song, and he would have had some say in it's use, no??

Somewhere in this thread, I remember someone had emailed 7UP asking if it was the PF. I thought their response was "yes."

But here's Davids response on his myspace blog:

Quote:
I've been getting asked about my singing in the 7up commercial. Well, it's not me. I don't know who it is, probably a studio singer, but I thought I'd let everyone know.

I guess he would know better than us! But, I am stumped. Confused
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, David wouldn't HAVE to be paid when a PF song is used in a commercial. For example, he wasn't paid when Burger King used a PF song a few years ago--he said that he found out about it while watching TV. He doesn't own those recordings or the songs, and his rights are pretty limited where use of them is concerned. There are of course Right of Publiclity laws, but those are very expensive to pursue and not always successful.

That's so David singing the lead vocal in that song, although with different backup. I think he just forgot that he recorded it back in 1973. You'd think he'd recognize his own voice though...Maybe he's never heard the commercial.
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ wrote:
That's so David singing the lead vocal in that song, although with different backup. I think he just forgot that he recorded it back in 1973. You'd think he'd recognize his own voice though...Maybe he's never heard the commercial.

I agree, I think there's a good chance that he's never seen the commercial and maybe he's assuming it's not him.
lauralambert
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Did I Just Hear "Sunshine" In A Commercial Reply with quote

Oh I'm sorry, Amy I got the wrong end of the stick again. I thought that you were saying that David did do the commercial. Embarassed Embarassed

So what we're talking about is if the original recording was used, now I get it. Oh this getting older sure takes it out of me, and my brain takes that much, longer to get going in the mornings. Smile Smile

Laura
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be all that Ripple you drink before going to bed. :wink:

By the way, hiring a studio singer to impersonate David's vocals in Sunshine would violate Right of Publicity laws. Bette Midler successfully sued Ford Motor Company in the 1990s over this very issue. Tom Waitts also successfully sued. I can't fathom any company doing that again in the wake of those lawsuits, especially for an impersonation of an obscure song and a singer who wouldn't be immediately recognized by the masses.

Last edited by PJ on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
lauralambert
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Did I Just Hear "Sunshine" In A Commercial Reply with quote

You could well be right PJ, it would be foolish to use an impersonator to do the song, because at the end of the day, they'd only be sued wouldn't they.

Laura
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it IS David singing "Sunshine" in that commercial, whether he acknowledges/remembers doing so or not? Surprised
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don;t think we can say it is him. He says it isn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: