[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

How often do you watch PF?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunshine eyes
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With shows that last for 12 years or more, you would have to be selective on what seasons you want, unless you just have to have them all. With the PF, you only need four DVD sets. Imagine having all 20 or so seasons of Gunsmoke. As for the Simpsons, destined to last longer than that, I'm interested in the early episodes and will probably stop after Season 8.
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me it's all or nothing.
Like I have the first 5 seasons of Three's Company.
I can't see why I wouldn't get the last few.
I know Season 6 is out, I just haven't picked it up yet.
I have 3 of the 4 seasons of Knight Rider. Will definitely get the last one.
It would be nice to have all the seasons of Miami Vice on DVD because that was one of my father's favorite shows. We'd watch it together often.
Then again I have always like the show Quantum Leap, but would not buy the DVDs.
Also I like Star Trek, but can't see shelling out a few thousand for every Star Trek show. If I get one, I must get them all.
5 different series, something like 28 seasons. I'm not that rich. Laughing

Darryl
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the shows I want to own haven't finished their DVD runs yet. I will definitely finish the runs of all of the Screen Gems shows. I think "Friends" is the only show in which I purchased the entire run, but I get them half-off. I'm not sure if I would have paid full price for all 10 seasons, as much as I love the show. I can re-watch TV shows from my childhood more so than current TV shows. In fact, I never watch reruns in syndication anymore.

One show I am surprised that I enjoy so much, and one that I keep buying is "Murder She Wrote." They just released Season Three of that one. "Knots Landing" comes out on Tuesday and I remember watching that for all 14 years. But, I just can't see buying 14 DVD sets. How many times will I actually sit down and watch all those episodes? Same with "Dallas." Unfortunately, I would have bought every season of "Dynasty," but sales were bad fro Season One and I don't think they are in a rush to release any more.

Some shows I'll buy just to get a sampling, but don't feel the need to own the entire run, like "Mister Ed" or "Green Acres." And yes, I bought the entire run of those damn Bradys, but only watched part of Season One so far. Laughing

Sometimes you have to buy the first week they come out because those are the best sales prices. If you wait, you wind up paying full price. I but so many that I'll go out of my way to save a few bucks by going to different stores, or seeing which stores offer gift cards with purchses, etc.
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relative to this discussion is an interesting article (below) in the current Video Business online magazine about TV on DVD, which has some pertinent but -- to me -- surprising facts (e.g., that "the average TV show drops between 20%to 50% from its prior title" -- I would have guessed more like 10 - 25% -- wow! I don't care for these "theme" releases they talk about either but hey, that's just me. Confused ). Check it out:

TV DVD ratings still growing
Some franchises, however, show fatigue

By Susanne Ault and Jennifer Netherby -- Video Business, 3/24/2006

The TV DVD segment is still growing at a rapid clip this year, due in large part to the growing volume of releases, but some franchises, particularly older ones, are starting to slow, according to retailers and suppliers.

Consumers snapped up 13 million units of TV product in January and February, a 46% increase over the same period in 2005, according NPD research.

This year
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Columbo seems to be selling very well. Season 4 just came out, and the release date for Season 5 has been announced for June. They are such fun to watch! I buy the Mary Tyler Moores when they come out too. That's about it for me, aside from PF.
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greely Winger wrote:
With me it's all or nothing.
Like I have the first 5 seasons of Three's Company.
I can't see why I wouldn't get the last few.
I know Season 6 is out, I just haven't picked it up yet.
I have 3 of the 4 seasons of Knight Rider. Will definitely get the last one.
It would be nice to have all the seasons of Miami Vice on DVD because that was one of my father's favorite shows. We'd watch it together often.
Then again I have always like the show Quantum Leap, but would not buy the DVDs.
Also I like Star Trek, but can't see shelling out a few thousand for every Star Trek show. If I get one, I must get them all.
5 different series, something like 28 seasons. I'm not that rich. Laughing

Darryl

I have had a similar dilemma. I find myself saying that I won't start another seried til I finish the one's I have started now. Of course, that totally means the PF. (please may they issue the last two seasons Crying or Very sad

At this point it also means finishing Miami Vice and Quantum Leap also.

BTW, the Star Trek series have all been reduced in price at many outlets including Sam's. Prices per season coming in at under $50 range rather than the nearly $100 they were prior.
allthatieverneeded
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean-o wrote:
I watch one episode each Saturday Night, and alter between other classic shows on DVD, such as Doris Day, Mary Tyler Moore, Bewitched, Police Woman, and now The Flying Nun. Oh My God! I need to get out more. Any one want to hit the town this saturday night and have some fun?.

Dean-o

Dean-o, your list of favorite shows sounds exactly like all the shows I've been watching lately! Only one substitution: Gidget for Police Woman- but give me time, I'm sure I'll be getting Police Woman very soon too! (and don't forget "That Girl" will be available soon too!)
JH
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about "Family Affair" was that ever released?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but it has been announced for release. Here's a link with a photo and details:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5295 Very Happy
JH
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott Very Happy
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us Lucille Ball fans, the nice perk on the newest Three's Company release (Season Six) is the inclusion of the hour-long clipfest special hosted by Miss Ball, "The Best of Three's Company".

Check it out! Very Happy
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta get around to getting that one.
The only memory I have of the original airing,
was thinking it strange that Lucy was on the Three's Company set.
I can't remember what she did. Confused
It's the first thing I'm going to watch whenever I get the set.

Darryl
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, she played host to a clip show highlighting the "best of" from the show up to that point. She did it not so much because she was a fan of the show (she was) but because she was a HUGE fan of John Ritter's! :D

Lucy so adored Ritter that when she came back to television in her own show briefly in 1986, he was the first guest she specifically asked to appear -- which turned out to be one of the short-lived series best episodes. Smile

She loved working with him and in fact, he did something that had only happened once or twice before in her long TV career: got her to crack up so hard during a scene that they had to reshoot it (and she HATED retakes -- she wanted the show(s) as "live" as possible)! I've seen both "versions" of the scene and I can see why she couldn't keep from laughing: he was hysterical.

What a treat it was to see those two together. It's a shame they didn't get a chance to do it again. Confused
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: TV DVD Slippage Reply with quote

I know the studios would never go for this, but maybe they should just dump all seasons of shows at 5 seasons or less....just dump them into the market all at once and let them fin for themselves until they are gone. Then decide to reprint. Like they did for (even though it is a movie franchise) "Back To The Future". For example, I would be willing to buy The Partridge Family seasons all at once (separately) rather than spacing them out. I believe that there might have been more of an impact on sales that way. I mean, they dumped the Brady Bunch complete series fairly quickly (haven't bought or seen any of them. Enjoyed Bradys on TV. Not enough to buy on DVD). Maybe this is why I don't work for a major studio. Oh to answer the question of how often do I watch my PF DVDs....fairly regularly, several times a month. As an adult I really enjoy the comedy of Dave Madden, David Cassidy and Danny Bonaduce. Never realized how comedically talented that trio was. I love the scene where Mean Sid and Little the Kid meet each other again. I literally fall out of my seat with laughter!
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say I get burned-out from watching PF (I reserve that term for BB). There are other things I like to watch too. I like a bit of viewing variety. As for the BB DVDs, I bought the first 2 seasons.
I held off buying the remainiong seasons for now.
I get most of my TV DVDs from the local library before I decide to own my own copy. There are a few exceptions that I get when they first come out.
Partridge Family
Knight Rider
Three's Company
Gimme A Break
Who's The Boss (Hello Sony, It's been nearly 2 years since Season 1)

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: