[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Great Dialogue, Writing, Directing!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allthatieverneeded
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Great Dialogue, Writing, Directing! Reply with quote

I always find new things to love about this show. This was one of the best shows for dialogue. Sometimes, it seemed that the writers were throwing in some very clever nods to the type of dialogue you'd hear in those great screwball comedies from the 30's and 40's or films like "The Maltese Falcon" where there was a unique type of overlapping dialogue that went from point A to point B but in a round-about way.

In "This Is My Song," there is a scene where Shirley, returning home, enters through the front door humming the song that Kieth has written and Danny claims is his. There is a great rhythm and perfect timing to the way the four actors handle this exchange:

Keith: ...she's whistling MY SONG!
Danny: ...it's MY SONG!
Shirley:.. his SONG!
Laurie: .. who's SONG?
Shirley: ..their SONG!

On paper, it looks amusing, but executed with great comic timing, it's a very funny bit of buisiness.

Another episode where Danny wants to be treated like an adult, there is a small exchange between Shirley, Laurie and Keith concerning Danny's asking and being being allowed to stay up late where it's like a round-robin sing-off:

Laurie (to Keith, then her mother): Maybe she didn't hear, you didn't hear.
Shirley: I heard.
Laurie: She heard.

Again, it's nothing spectacular, but just that little bit is very clever in playing off on the repetition of the word, "heard," and it required perfect timing to make it work.

There are many other examples, like in the episode, "Danny And The Mob" where "Harry" directly addresses the camera when he asks "Why doesn't anyone believe you when you plead the fifth?" I think overall, The Partridge Family enjoyed the benefits of having many creative and incredibly talented writers and directors. It just makes it one of the all-time best shows!
umbrellaman
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right about the cleverness of the dialogue, which really elevates the show! Until the DVDs came out, I don't think I'd actually seen an entire episode of the show in more than 20 years, but it's shot right up to the top of my list of favorite shows. I seriously would never have imagined it to actually be as great as I think it is although I absolutely loved it as a kid and never forgot about it. It seriously astounds me that this show hasn't been and isn't as widely syndicated as a lot of other shows from the era!! I just do not get it? I suppose it could be that the music seems dated to some, but I've also been amazed at how incredible the music is! Anyway, I guess I've rambled on, but I too think this show is wonderfully written, acted, and directed!
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The dialogue never seems stale (as opposed to some 'other' show). I could enjoy watching a PF Marathon.
I can enjoy an episode, no matter if I've seen it 2 or 20 times.

Darryl
Stuckinthe'70s
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! I love the scripts. I hope Scott can interview some of the writers and directors. And, yes, Scott, I do read the interviews--I love them!
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best things about the writing, in my opinion was how they spoke to family issues (sibling rivalry, teens testing their limits and how one should treat others) and at the same time do it in a clever and witty and comic way. Not to mention the great music. While I was a preteen when it started, I never felt "talked down to". I also agree that the talent of the cast made it easy to continue to write smart dialogue because they could pull it off very professionally. that is why the show still makes me laugh today and at the same time can pull at my heartstrings...

Just my thoughts, hope everyone is doing well.

Jeff
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the many elements that I've always maintained has made this show superior to its "competitor" (i.e., that other Friday night family comedy) was its superior writing -- especially when compared to the other show!

For goodness sakes, many of the best writers of the genre during that time wrote for our beloved sitcom, including -- just to name a few -- creator Bernard Slade, Bewitched, "Same Time Next Year"; Susan Harris, Soap, Golden Girls; and Lloyd Turner & Gordon Mitchell, Odd Couple, Mary Tyler Moore Show, to name just a few. I don't recall that other show having writers on their staff of this calibre.

Kinda shows, doesn't it? Wink
allthatieverneeded
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just enjoying everyone's comments on this! When you know so many other people enjoy the same things about the show, it just makes you like it all the more. Now everytime I watch either one of the DVDs or the episode airing on TV, I think to myself, "I gotta see what the others have written about this episode!"
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. That other show had writers?? Laughing Laughing
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody had to put "My nose!" on paper. Wink
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And "Pork chops and apple sauce."
allthatieverneeded
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: The Partridges and "The Other Show" Reply with quote

Just to keep it all in perspective, I actually do enjoy "that other family show" just as much as our beloved Partridge Family. They're two different shows that I enjoy in two different ways.

True that "other show" can be about as deep as Wonder Bread, but ironically, that's one of its strengths. When we were kids, my brothers and I loved the BB because it was just a fun show, plain and simple.

To his credit, I think Sherwood Schwartz did an excellent job in casting the kids; they never seemed like the plastic Hollywood kids on so many other shows we grew up on. They seemed pretty much like kids we went to school with, and never seemed to be acting "for the camera." There was a naturalness about all the kids that played well for the stories.

The writing may not have been as sharp and witty as on The Partridge Family, but I think the style was geared more toward the kids in the cast. On the Partridge Family, Danny was a rare talent, and really, the show was carried by Shirley, Danny, Keith and Laurie- so the sharp, clever writing worked well for that cast. It wouldn't have played as well on the BB, because then you'd have 6 kids saying things that wouldn't have been natural for kids of that age.
So, to be fair, both shows are just fine (ok, as I've grown up, the Partridge Family has gained a definite edge!) It's just a matter that one was more for the kids, and the other was written to work for both the kids and their parents.

By the way, one of our local stations here in Chicago runs both shows back to back just as they ran during their original run. Very cool!
umbrellaman
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said allthatieverneeded, and I agree! I absolutely think TPF is a better show but love BB just as much.
allthatieverneeded
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umbrellaman wrote:
Well said allthatieverneeded, and I agree! I absolutely think TPF is a better show but love BB just as much.

thanks umbrellaman!
stevechapman
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In watching The dvd's for PF, I find myself laughing out loud. the writing and comic timing his really great and it got even better second season. while "The other family" show has some great moments..I still think PF was a much better show. Could be i'm a bit bias in my opinion though.. Laughing
sunshine eyes
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BB had some lines that I can't hear enough of:

"Remember Dad, we're talking man to man now, not kid to man man to man, but man to man man to man."

"That sounds like the mating call of a love sick moose."

"You're sorry you saved my life? That's crummy!"
"I was being sincere."
"Yeah, sincerely crummy."

"No way, I'm not going to be a pom pom girl."
"I don't even want to be a pom pom boy."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: