[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Game - who could play the Partridges now??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lei
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yay! Applause

*unashamedly swoons and melts*
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely loathe the idea of casting new people in these roles. It's interesting -- those of us that grew up with the series and have been fans for well over 20+ years usually have that reaction. The younger fans -- ones that aren't as emotionally tied to the original -- seem to have less of a problem with it. They even seem to enjoy those horrid TV movies made about them. But you're ALL WRONG!!! Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
lei
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all due respect,

i'm 44. when i was a young teen my world revolved around the PF. i was a member of the original fan club. i still have much of the vinyl (sadly, the lunchbox got tossed.)

life's been not so easy since then. i'm glad i found this place to "get happy" in this old sweet familiar way.

i just think this part is a fun game (like the topic said).

aloha Smile
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the show during it's original run, but I have been
a fan for 20+ years.
I just can't think of anybody that would even be half as good.
Just my 2 cents. Think
lei
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the original will always be most special in all of our hearts, i'm sure :)

and, as remakes can sometimes be good (though not yet in this case), i gotta be realistic and note things like:

- chris was interchangeable then and could probably be now, with little difficulty. tracy too.

- constantine handled the lead in "Jesus Christ Superstar" sensationally. i think he could handle Keith Partridge. i remember seeing him and noting that i hadn't seen that level of personal charisma, musical talent and physical beauty in one package since David. and that was before he sang "i think i love you" (and i nearly fainted!)

- really the hardest role to recast would be danny. i think when they made him they broke the mold. he'd probably joke that that's a good thing. Razz

that's just my two cents. y'all probably talked this to death before i found the board, and i agree that nothing good has been produced since the original, but it's still a fun thought. it takes less imagination than, remaking, say, "the wizard of oz" or "gone with the wind".

sorry, i babble. just having fun here.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have had topics like this before, and that's where I remember most people having a negative reaction to trying to recast the parts. Not that it can't be discussed again, but I'm just clarifying. I remember most people sat with their jaws dropped to the ground when the two TV movies first aired, and even worse when the reality series invaded our brains.

I'm not familiar with Constantine. Is he 17 like Keith is supposed to be? Can he pass for 17, as DC did (even though he was 20)??

Laurie is about 15/16, so the suggestion that Idina Menzel can play it doesn't work for me (I think she's in her early 30s, making her almost old enough to play Shirley).

You can't recapture The Partridge Family, IMHO. It was as much about the era (70s) and the DC hysteria as it was about the premise and scripts. You just can't recapture a "phenomenon". Nor can you plan one. It just happens. Very Happy
lei
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
You just can't recapture a "phenomenon". Nor can you plan one. It just happens. Very Happy

this is so true! and your points are well-taken, thank you. i'm glad i missed the horrible movies (i don't know where i was in my life then) and agree that the reality show was a disaster. Crying or Very sad

i think constantine is close to 30 but has a babyface, could pass for early 20s, but not 17. aah well. we always have the nostalgia. Very Happy
laurie partridge
Reuben's Client
Reuben's Client

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I absolutely loathe the idea of casting new people in these roles. It's interesting -- those of us that grew up with the series and have been fans for well over 20+ years usually have that reaction. The younger fans -- ones that aren't as emotionally tied to the original -- seem to have less of a problem with it. They even seem to enjoy those horrid TV movies made about them. But you're ALL WRONG!!! Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

not ALL of us Scott! Smile I haven't seen the TV movies and i dont really want to, the reviews scared me off! Shocked

I couldn't think of anyone to replace Shirley, nobody does it better than Mrs Jones
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Miss Jones, but otherwise, you're absolutely right. Wink Cool
Sandra
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops.
Embarassed
Didn't mean to cause a rucus (spelling???).
No-one could ever replace the originals; I love them all!!!
I was just wondering what people would do if given the chance.
Does anybody know what happened to the new PF??? I mean, the folks who got the parts.
Embarassed I"m so embarrassed for them. Sad
IloveKeith
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to change the subject but they already tried to find a new cast for the Partridge Family and it didn't do so well. The only good thing about that "In Seach of the Partridge Family" thing was them playing clips from the "original" show and people trying to act like the "original" cast. And I have no idea who would play the Partridge Family now, but I kind of like the idea that was said a while back that instead of having new people play them just have the old cast come back, if they can get Susan Dey to do it. LOL. Laughing Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: