[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

"Mom Drops Out" Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimL2005
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: "Mom Drops Out" Question Reply with quote

I just recently got done watching this episode..Considering Reuben was already a reasonably successful talent agent/manager at the time the Partridge Family began..would he not have enough connections/clout with people in Europe to have booked the Family on his own..without having to deal with a Logan Mays? I realize Mays was more less a "plot device" here, but it seems to me that Reuben could have called around and got the tour booked the way he and the family would have wanted in the first place..If I am off base here dont mind being set straight..
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Drop Out Mom Reply with quote

Hey Tim...your putting WAY too much into it. It's a TV show. Not only that...it's a TV show from the 70's. It wasn't a story about Reuben or the family. It was a story about slimeballs. And what idiots they can be.
TimL2005
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Out Mom Reply with quote

Skizzy Fleameyer wrote:
Hey Tim...your putting WAY too much into it. It's a TV show. Not only that...it's a TV show from the 70's. It wasn't a story about Reuben or the family. It was a story about slimeballs. And what idiots they can be.

Point well taken Skizzy..As I said I know Logan was just a plot device to create problems..the "situation" if you will. I still enjoyed the episode..but Logan was kind of the far out side..
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Logan Reply with quote

That was the cool part of the episode....Logan was so full of himself that it was hilarious. But you know what? I'll bet dollars to donuts that Logan was based on someone who actually existed! But will have to agree with you Tim....that episode is a neat piece of entertainment Smile !
GeoffB40
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Mom Drops Out Question Reply with quote

Fellas, I think you have to tip your hat to Gino Conforti who played the role. He really was a scream and his diction is just perfect for a guy with that sort of Italian looking face. One line in another episode he appears in always cracks me up (from 'Al In The Family') when he says to Reuben's nephew that (as the Maitre 'D) he wouldn't have a table for the Queen of England if she came in without a reservation! Its the pompous delivery of the line that makes you laugh. Funny stuff
Logan Mays II
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Manager VS Tour Promoter Reply with quote

Hi Logan Mays II here Hey Tim Rueben Kincaid was the manager Logan Mays was a tour promoter and there is a big difference i should know I am thinking the PF may have gone on to greater international success had Logan become the manager and Rueben become the tour promoter Wink
allthatieverneeded
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit off the subject, but what I like about this episode is that again, it demonstrates everything I like about the character, Shirley.

Could you honestly imagine any sort of music group that included a woman (or man) over 30 performing with a group of teens and pre-teens? (Aside from the actual group, the Cowsills.) Yet here, the family is portrayed as being so comfortable with each other that it genuinely works. They WANT mom in the group- not out of a sense of "well-we're-stuck-with-her," but because they enjoy her being there.

Shirley doesn't try to be "hip"; she doesn't try to dress a decade and a half younger than she is. She is a grown up who just happens to sing with her kids without trying be one of them.

On top of this, kudos to Shirley Jones, because I just can't imagine any other actress being able to make the role work as brilliantly as she performed it. Any other actress would have run the danger of looking woefully out of place alongside the younger kids in the band, but Shirley Jones just made it seem so natural until you didn't even think about it.

I'll bet that if this show were done today, the mom would be wearing skirts shorter than her daugthers and would be trying desperately to be one of the gang. I shudder to think of it! Shirley Jones and Shirley Partridge- its all class!
Lil' Lizzie Partridge05
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

Location: Either in SanPueblo,CA or getting on the bus being driven by the lovely Shirley to the next gig

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree! Shirley isn't trying to fit in w/ a crowd or anything, she is just well there and glad to be there. She also can dress like that because she had the figure for thos miniskirts and what ever else. I am just totally saying, allthatieverneeded you totally summed up everything that Shirley Partridge is about. Thank you.
TheForeverFamily

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by TheForeverFamily on Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
I don't think anyone here would argue that Shirley Jones is indeed one class act. Very Happy I've been very fortunate over the years to meet many of my childhood "idols" and I must say that she stands far and above the others as the one I am happiest to have met and can't say enough good about: she's warm, kind, considerate, professional and even more beautiful in person than she is on screen. (Yeah, I'm biased but I don't care!) Cool
In sum, Shirley rocks! Very Happy
Lil' Lizzie Partridge05
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

Location: Either in SanPueblo,CA or getting on the bus being driven by the lovely Shirley to the next gig

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I am like the BIGGEST Broadway Baby, I just adore Shirley. I own most of her movies. And, one day soon, I hope to meet her. That would be the coolest thing ever.

Lizzie Very Happy
allthatieverneeded
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzie and Les, thanks for the kind words about my post! There's just something about watching Shirley Jones in The Partridge Family that makes me realize that being "over 30" is not over the hill or the end of life! In fact, I find myself sometimes thinking "now how would Shirley handle this," or "what wise advice would Shirley give?"

Hey, even us grown ups need a good role model sometimes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: