[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

What brand of Guitar is David playing on the show?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyph

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all SO up my alley!Check out the cheesey Yamaha triangle-shaped amp Keith is tweeking while Laurie asks him about the lyrics (pilot).Photos of Keith holding a Yamaha hollowbody electric on one or two PF mystery book covers were from deleted pilot footage.See several Vox Super Beatle amps at their Vegas gig left over from the Monkees show (Vox labels covered over with black electrical tape).
People ask me why DPX uses Vox amps,the answer is that although PF used Vox only for the pilot you can buy Vox amps,finding the other amps (Ovation,Wurlitzer,vintage Yamaha) is impossible.
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Equipment Reply with quote

Whatever company got credit for their equipment on the show, those amps could have been empty inside for all we know. Altho' according to Danny, DC used to 'flip the switch' between takes and jam on guitars...

Very Happy

Lu
imaginedani
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow you guys are sure observant!!!! Very Happy

I wouldnt of had a clue, but it looks cool!

C'mon GET HAPPY! Smile
dannyph

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny B. will always be my hero,but he does sometimes have a hazy memory and likes to fill in the blanks a bit.

However,on the pilot episode DVD commentary DB says DC is really playing that Strat in the garage scene,and it sure looks real to my eyes.And after 30 years of playing guitar myself I oughtta know.So,there he is wailing away,wah-wah pedal and all!Keith Rocks!!! Very Happy

Somebody at a guitar shop once told me that he'd heard that the Ovation amps used on the show were empty cabinets cause he worked at the shop that ended up with them when PF went off the air.So,who really knows?As a guitarist myself I know it would have been impossible to keep my mits off the gear between takes.

Playing guitar becomes a bit like a nervous tick,or smoking.People often ask me how I learned to play so well,I always tell them that if you sit around in front of the T.V. for 30 years plunking away at a guitar you're bound to get pretty good eventually.
imaginedani
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ lol

and yes David Cassidy playing in the pilot is great. I myself can't lay guitar very well, i have 3 tho, lol. I have a had a few lessons but am just basically tone deaf.

C'mon GET HAPPY! Smile
TheForeverFamily

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Partridge Family gearlist Reply with quote

Last edited by TheForeverFamily on Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
dreamboatkaren
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Les...gotta love those Ovations! I always thought the electrics were pretty cool looking but those acoustics are what won me over!
stevechapman
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Ovations are Cool! Reply with quote

Les is absolutely right. Ovations Rule!! Hard to beat that roundback sound.
Lainey
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree, I bought hubby an Ovation Pinnacle the Christmas before last (he's a frustrated James Taylor!) and the tone is just wonderful, he loves it. In fact I feel a quote coming on - "I'm really in love with my guitar but I'd look foolish taking it to a drive-in" That just about sums it up.
stevechapman
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Ovations Reply with quote

Hey, Great Quote! I remember that line. have to say i agree. Smile

Last edited by stevechapman on Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
dreamboatkaren
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I'm not in love with my guitars, they are more like my children! A womans point of view for ya! lol
dannyph

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to say a great big HOWDY to good ol' Les!One of the Coolest people on this site.
So,was that Davids personal Strat?
I've had a real pain with the Ovation axes DPX uses because I bought 'em in pieces and had to put them together.I really must take issue with Ovation's designers for the routing and bridge on the Breadwinner/Deacon.NO sustain unless you wedge a hunk of something solid in there under the bridge.The design just bites it.For the next Breadwinner I build,I'll be filling in the routing and using a Srtat style hard-tail bridge/tailpiece.
And the Bonaduce bass has a neck as thick as Bonaduce himself in the third season ("if you had a neck,I'd ring it").-DP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: