[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Perhaps An Affirmation About Why No Unreleased Material
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Polo
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cassidy must think he's owed billions of dollars or something? Even then, I bet he'd still want more $$$ for old PF songs, etc....
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he only buys the best bourban that money can buy, so I guess he's a bit short. Ba-dum-bum!
batmanfreak
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume his favorite charity on Celebrity Apprentice will be himself.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDMartin1959 wrote:
In the context of his referencing the re-negotiation of this contract (due to his being a minor when the initial contract was signed), is it possible he is meaning the last three years of the shows initial run?

Interesting interpretation, LD. I can see that working. His exclamation that "Imagine what I'm due for the last 30 years!" just gave me the impression that his earning peak led off those 30 years and that in the past 3 years, his earnings gave but an inkling of the amount. Regardless, once the show was off the air, didn't all the merchandising go bye-bye? If it didn't, stores around here kept all that money-making merchandise well hidden because having discovered the PF in syndication in 1974, I gave my parents quite the headache with a PF album at the top of my Christmas wish list that year.

That 30-yr statement and his current UK concert ticket prices lead me to conclude the man has an inflated view of his post-PF marketability. "And it all started with that..." Lifeboard? (insert teasing emoticon here)
LDMartin1959
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDee wrote:
...once the show was off the air, didn't all the merchandising go bye-bye?

Royalties/residuals from the rebroadcast of the series in syndication. The studio found their walnuts in a vice (so to speak) after the show and DC had become a huge hit/star. My understanding (perhaps incorrect) was that when the studio had to re-sign/renegotiate the contract due to them letting him signing while a minor without a parent/guardian signature, his agent negotiated him a piece of the show, not just a piece of the merchandising. Television studios have some of the most amazing accountants. Although PF has not run continuously since it's initial run ended, the fact is that it has been shown in syndication a great deal since then. And that would be the source of unaccounted for income. As someone else mentioned, James Garner had to sue for his royalties for Rockford Files. Another example would be Star Trek, which has probably never left the air since it's initial run ended in 1969. As I recall, a number of years ago Gene Roddenberry got into a legal dispute with Desilu/Paramount because they said that decades later the show still hadn't made any money. It's not hard to imagine Columbia/Sony pulling the same stunt on CD. And given his comment about the audit, it does sound like he is taking some action against them, which at some point may actually give him some leverage to call some shots. This may actually ultimately benefit the fans. But it may be a long time coming.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks LD. Residuals from syndication makes sense and yeah, would probably amount to a hefty sum. Guess I got hung up on the word "merchandise". I'm thinking "merchandise? what merchandise?!" Beyond the collectors' universe, I couldn't picture much PF merchandise post-1974. But you're right, TV studios are in no hurry to pay residuals to anyone.

Still don't understand why an agreement can't be reached about the unreleased material. Mad (I feel like a kid being refused a second cookie.) As others have pointed out, chances are fans' interest will decline as time goes on so gaining leverage with this audit would be moot. Then again, getting paid his royalty dues would be a lot more profitable for him than releasing old material to a niche market. (I don't care, I want my cookie!! Mad Laughing)

Batmanfreak, I'd be in seventh heaven if he released "The Partridge Family Unplugged"... recorded during the show. Recorded today, with all those marbles in his mouth (forget who said that here but it's a perfect description), I'll probably pass.
batmanfreak
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find it odd about ALL the money he's owed from the LAST 3 YEARS. Considering how little the Partridge Family is seen on TV these days and how little they are on the radio (if at all), the only thing he could be talking about is the Partridge Family DVDs. From everything I've read on this site, they didn't set the world on fire sales wise. Maybe someone was showing him how much the Beatles were making and he got confused.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Batmanfreak - I can think of a couple of replies but they might be interpreted as mean, so I'll pass. Wink
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Kick 'em When They're Down Reply with quote

"Well, he only buys the best bourban that money can buy, so I guess he's a bit short. Ba-dum-bum!"

Touche!
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I guess it still blows my mind that no one in the Sony/Screen Gems/Arista-Bell_Legacy/DC and his shyster lawyer camps are paying attention to the money that the The Monkees (or at least Rhino) have made on re-released cd packages, endless rarities albums and special rare versions of their albums and concerts. Supposedly a 45th anniversary tour and a new set of cd's of re-re-mastered or extended albums is being planned.

Ok maybe The Partridge Family music might not sell as big as The Monkees - but it will make a good profit if handled right.
Ed
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, Ed. Sad
The Monkees were before my time and I was surprised to see how popular they were judging by YT with a couple million of views per song.
Bass Strumer
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish someone within the Cassidy estate could find a way to get everything in the vault released. If the vault even exists any longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: