[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

David's 1990 CD and 1992 CD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summerdays71
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: David's 1990 CD and 1992 CD Reply with quote

The 1990 CD starts off with two strong songs, both of which could have been hits, especially You Remember Me, but someone made the decision to promote the lamer in comparison Lyin To Myself as a single. Bad decision.

Best tracks:

Labor Of Love
You Remember Me
Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Living Without You
Stranger In Your Heart
Prisoner Of Love (this is a powerful good song!)

Weaker tracks:

Lyin To Myself
Hi Heel Sneakers
Message To The World
All Because Of You

For reason unknown to me, the harder rock sound of the 1990 CD was abandoned on the 1992 CD, and suddenly David was transformed into a mellow crooner. This CD could potentially have been a disaster, but there are enough decent songs on it to make it worth listening to.

Best tracks:

For All The Lonely
I'll Never Stop Loving You
Tell Me True
Like Father Like Son
It's Over
One True Love

Weaker tracks:

Raindrops
Treat Me Like You Used To
Somebody To Love
Soul Kiss

Unfortunately, after the 1992 CD, I didn't care for the direction David went musically. I don't like the Old Trick New Dog CD or anything that was released after that.
karmachameleon
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lyin' To Myself" was bound for number one when the label Enigma folded and the payola immediately ended.

Had the label survived and the record "promotion" continued, the tune would have been number 1 for weeks and completely re-ignited DC's career. The video was in heavy rotation on MTV until the label folded, when it was immediately pulled.

Yet more career bad luck for DC.

As early as Cherish vs. Rock Me Baby, DC's solo releases followed a distinct pattern of a softer ballad LP followed by a harder rocking LP. Don't know if this was label direction or DC's direction. Labels often do not have a clue, and if an LP does poorly than the one previous, they would go back to the earlier direction. When that did poorly, they'd try the rocking again. DC always handled both well, and they LP's reflect the different sides of his artistry; the introspective singer songwriter vs. the live rocker.

Enigma saw him as an excellent rock singer, so that's the direction they went in, and it would have really worked for him, similar to John Waite's solo success after the Babys group success. Had the label not folded suddenly.

Probably Clive Davis had something to do with that too, but I have no desire to dig.
summerdays71
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Enigma went out of business, but I still would have liked to see You Remember Me chosen as the lead single from the album. You Remember Me is an awesome song and I think had potential to be a great radio hit, in my opinion Lyin To Myself is lame in comparison. Lyin To Myself made it to #27 on Billboard, saying that the song would have gone to #1 if the record company stayed in business is speculation. It's possible that it could have gone to #1, but in my opinion it doesn't have the sound of a #1 hit, You Remember Me sounds like a #1 hit to me.

I think David should have followed up the 1990 CD with another one in the same style with the harder rock sound. As it is, the 1992 CD isn't bad, but it sure is different, and wavering back and forth between styles basically stalls a career, resulting in spinning your wheels and getting nowhere.
Ralphie
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: All a matter of opinion... Reply with quote

I always thought there were a lot of similarities between David's voice and Cher's voice... and like Cher, (to me) David is a "POP" singer. both of them can "handle" "moderate" rock material, but they SHINE with Pop numbers. On David's "Rock Me Baby" album he sounds really good on "Warm My Soul," but his vocals on "Go Now" and "How Can I Be Sure" are INCREDIBLE!!! (again... just my opinion) Smile
Brown Eyes
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I always found Message To The World to be my favorite track on the album after You Remember Me. I also liked Hi-Heel Sneakers with it's shout out to I think I Love You as well. I guess one man's trash is another's treasure.

I still can't believe that album is 27 years old already. Yikes! Seems like yesterday!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: