[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

David's RCA albums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: David's RCA albums Reply with quote

Did any of David's RCA albums had lyrics to the songs?? It seems that Real Gone Music & Cherry Red Records don't have it.
Topanga
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: David's RCA Albums Reply with quote

The BMG/RCA Japan CD releases included the lyrics. Don't think they are still in print. Higher They Climb was released in 2003 or 2004. Home Is Where The Heart Is and Gettin' It In The Street were released in 2009.
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thank you.
batmanfreak
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the original LPs had the lyrics. "Gettin' It In The Streets" was a bare bones release.
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again!! It seems back around 1975 or 1976 that most artists or groups would use lyrics on the album sleeves & the paper sleeves were probably gone since.
batmanfreak
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher They Climb had the credits on the paper sleeve as well as story notes for each song.
Home Is Where The Heart Is had photos on the paper sleeve as well as a poster that included credits and DC's comments on the songs.
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: The RCA LPs Reply with quote

These records can still be found in local records stores of most cities in the US of A. Just be diligent when looking. Otherwise, they can be purchase on eBay for a reasonable price.
Maui
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which ones are you asking about? I know David's first CD release & Didn't You Used To Be ..have liner notes.
summerdays71
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the three RCA albums on vinyl. All three contain good songs, but overall I would say that Gettin It In The Street is the best one, followed by The Higher They Climb, then Home Is Where The Heart Is. I'm not saying that Home Is Where The Heart Is is a bad album, because it isn't, it's just a little weaker in comparison to the other two.

The only track on Gettin It In The Street that I don't like all that much is The Story Of Rock N Roll. The rest of the album is very good. Overall David's best RCA album.

On the album The Higher They Climb, the one weak track is David's lame version of I Write The Songs. His version is pretty bad. The rest of the album is good. Thumbs up especially to Get It Up For Love and Common Thief.

Home Is Where The Heart Is has two great tracks, Damned If This Aint Love and Breakin Down Again. A Fool In Love is a nice song too. The rest of the album is OK but unremarkable. David covered Pilot's song January on this album, but I think Pilot's original version is better.
karmachameleon
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh.... David's version of "I Write The Songs" was the first, produced by the man himself Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys who wrote the darned song, is singing BACKUP vocals on that track. It was, and still is, infinitely superior to the Manilow version with its ludicrous irritating polka?!!? marrionette bridge, and to add iinsult to injury, was personally given by Clive Davis to Manilow to record, with the assurance that he would pay the millions necessary to make that piece of garbage a hit by buying airplay, all to stick the knife deeper into DC's back, who Clive Davis hated with a passion. I happen to be a Manilow fan as well, but that song is the worst thing the man ever recorded, done in haste to beat any possilble RCA single release. The Clive Davis vendetta goes back to when he first turned Bell Records into Arista and DC wanted "too much" to stay on the label and went to RCA. Hell hath no fury like a Clive Davis handed essentially a bubblegum label after his "grand tenure" at Columbia Records scorned.

David sang that song from his heart, a teen idol utterly abandoned at the time, while Manilow sang it like another New York jingle. That dog took more money to become a hit than any other Manilow single before or since.

Manilow even had the gall to change Johnston's lyrics in the bridge, killing the melody with fewer words.

I get that people who hear one version of a tune over and over get used to it and can't handle any subsequent versions favorably, but people who have not a clue need to know the facts.

If this sounds like a fanboy defending his idol, it's not. It's someone who's been in the record biz way too long and knows horrific things with an Elephant's Memory. I apologize if this seems harsh. My anger is at Clive and what he did to DC. The RCA single release of this would have re-established David firmly on RCA.
summerdays71
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that David's version of I Write The Songs was first, but that doesn't mean it's the best version. David's version is slower in tempo and more soulful, Manilow's version is a little more upbeat and poppy. The fact is, Manilow knew what to do with the song and give it the right type of arrangement to turn it into a hit single. David's version doesn't sound like a hit, Manilow's version does. But honestly, I've never really cared all that much for the song, regardless of who sings it. And the funny thing in all of this is, David Cassidy and Barry Manilow sing I Write The Songs, but neither one wrote the tune, Bruce Johnston did. Laughing

During the middle 1970's period, Barry Manilow had a knack for taking songs penned by others, and turning them into hit singles. Aside from I Write The Songs, Mandy, Weekend In New England, and Looks Like We Made It are other examples of this.

Another good track on The Higher They Climb album is Fix Of Your Love. Nice follow up tune after Get It Up For Love.

From The Higher They Climb album, I think Get It Up For Love had the best potential to be a hit. Part of the reason the RCA albums weren't successful is because many of David's fans refused to see him as anything else except Keith Partridge. They didn't want David to grow up. It's a problem that followed him for his whole career. That's part of the reason why the Man Undercover TV show failed. The other reason is that some of the episodes didn't have the greatest writing, but that's another story.

For years, David tried to fight off his Keith Partridge image. But then later I think he finally accepted it, and that's when he started touring all over the place doing shows and singing the old Partridge Family songs. It might not really have been what he wanted to do, but he did it because he knew that's what the fans wanted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: