[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

That's The Way It Is With You

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: That's The Way It Is With You Reply with quote

I wrote to singer songwriter Harriet Schock who wrote "That's The Way It Is With You". My question: There is a Partridge Family song that you wrote called "That's The Way It Is With You' (from "Bulletin Board") which David Cassidy used a different kind of microphone or something. How did David did that song?? Answer: When an artist covers a song from another artist (I wrote that song and put it on my first album), the writer is not necessarily in the studio. In fact, rarely is the writer with the singer who's covering the song. So I would have no idea what kind of mic David used. There's a book coming out about the Partridge Family. Maybe it's covered in that. Thanks for knowing that song. Best, Harriet By the way the 3 albums that Harriet did for "20th Century Records" are not yet availble on CD. She has 4 CD's at the CD Baby website at: www.cdbaby.com or at : www.harrietschock.com
kenbubblegumkid
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you brought this up Matthew. A long time ago on another thread(I think it was about Bulletin Board)...I wrote about this very thing. There was definitely something different with the vocal on this song versus all of the other songs. It almost sounded in spots like he was under water. I had heard many years ago that he had a cold during some of the Bulletin Board sessions(not sure if this was true or not but had heard that) and while this may not have been part of the issue I thought it was interesting. I'm really surprised when they originally mixed and mastered it back in 1974 that they didn't hear the difference. It's something that I've wondered about for years.

That's so cool that you got to hear from Harriet.

Just saw David in Riverhead....great show.

Ken
karmachameleon
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MXR rackmount flanger/doubler. Record Plant had probably just gotten one of the first ones in LA. "Bulletin Board" was the only LP not recorded at Western.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/blog/mxr-40th-anniversary-the-rackmount-era/
kenbubblegumkid
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...but I'm still not sure why they didn't hear the difference on this song and allowed it to get on the album like that. All of the other tracks sounded normal just like the other LPs.

Ken
ComposerJeff
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that difference from the first time I heard the song all those years ago, and thought it sounded odd. Which was rather poignant given that it was the last song on the last new album.
karmachameleon
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Production choice. Not Farrell's, he wasn't around for that entire LP.

Someone thought it sounded cool. Maybe DC, listen to the sound(s) of his voice on some of the RCA LP's that followed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: