[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!
 
[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Nitpicking PF episodes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DavidWagner
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer


Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, AtTheEndOfItAll (that's one of my favorite PF songs, btw), and thanks for your comments. I'm sorry you disagree with me, but I stand by my original words.

I myself had to wear braces twice, so I have absolutely no problem if Laurie did the same. Very Happy

As for the Muldoon's Point thing, in the very last episode, Shirley talks about going to Muldoon's Point with "Cuddles" when they were young, so, instead of the writers, I'm going to blame the actors on this one. Several different writers were probably assigned stories, and of course it wasn't their fault if some of the things in their scripts contradicted each other. But the actors should have pointed out these errors when they popped up. Then again, the producers probably would have told the actors to shut up and play the scene as written. So let's blame the producers instead. Mad

Yes, I'm still bugged by the fact that the motivation of Shirley's art teacher was never explained. Shirley mentions that he is instructing her for no charge, so money isn't his motivation. And if he's in love with her, there's nothing in any scene to indicate it. In fact, the actor seems to be playing the part as if the art teacher is gay. Whatever, the writing just isn't very good in that episode, in my opinion.

Your point about changing the name of Shirley's father doesn't seem logical to me. In that case, they should have changed the name of Chris when Brian Forster took over the role. That would have been totally confusing.

As for comparing the talent of the child actors on the show, I think I have that right. They say "there are no small parts, there are only small actors." Granted, Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep couldn't have done much with the parts of Chris and Tracie, but it is still my opinion that Jeremy did much better with what he was given than Brian did. But it's just my opinion, as is everything I say, so if you disagree, more power to you. Both of us are on this board because we love the Partridge Family, so I believe our similarities outweigh our differences. Razz

Now for a couple of new thoughts -- last time I said that Brian makes Jeremy look like Sir Laurence Olivier, but now I have to say that Andy and David Williams make Brian look like Olivier. They were just awful! I'm glad they stuck to music instead of acting.

Now, about the "guest room" -- Shirley mentions it in at least 2 episodes. It seems VERY unlikely that the Partridges have a guest bedroom, because 4 of the 5 Partridge kids share a room with another sibling. If there were a bedroom that was empty, I think Laurie would move into it -- it's gotta be tough for a 17-year-old girl to share a bedroom with her 9-year-old sister (or however old Tracie is supposed to be). Besides, Fred Renfrew once spent a night on the sofa in the living room. Would he have slept on the sofa if there were a guest room? I think not. And hasn't Reuben spent at least one night on the Partridge couch? I can't remember, but I think so.

The Miss Partridge student teacher episode mentions that the Partridges have never been on a European tour -- but they DID go on a tour in Europe in season one. How quickly they forget.

Baby I love, love, love, love, I love Susan Dey's mid-season haircut. Her hair looks sleek, shiny, has a lot of movement, and flatters her features. I'm surprised they didn't do a complete episode about it, but they never even mentioned it. (I always wondered why they didn't do an episode about Keith graduating from high school, either.) If Susan had gotten that haircut a couple of years earlier when the show was at it's peak, I bet almost every teen girl in America would have gotten that haircut. Susan must not have been too crazy about it, though. She didn't keep it up after the show ended.

One last thing -- I may have dreamed this, but in my memory, in one episode of season 4, a boom mike was clearly visible in a scene in the living room. Does anyone else remember this? But I didn't see it on the DVD at all. I guess it's possible they could have re-framed the shot for the DVD release. Or maybe I imagined the whole thing. But I remember being bothered by it as a kid. It snapped me right out of my suspension of disbelief in that episode. I wish I could remember which episode it was.

As I said earlier, everything in this post is just my opinion. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying... Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AtTheEndOfItAll
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 16
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidWagner wrote:

Your point about changing the name of Shirley's father doesn't seem logical to me. In that case, they should have changed the name of Chris when Brian Forster took over the role. That would have been totally confusing.


Shirley's father only appeared in a few episodes prior to that, while Chris was a regular. So you really can't expect they would handle these situations the same way.

In summary, minor inconsistencies in details from one season to the next (or even one show to the next) are not too disrupting to me. Back then few people would have caught those things since home DVDs and VCRs did not exist. Writers were focused on writing a good episode more than worrying about what the audience would recall someone said about Muldoon's Point. We have the advantage of seeing the programs over and over and over again for decades. Not exactly something they would have anticipated back then.

BUT, filming errors are fair game. Like seeing a microphone. My favorite is a performance segment where the camera is zooming in on a close-up of David. Danny thinks he is out of camera range and just stops playing his bass. I watched that show plenty of times and never noticed it, until one day there it was. I guess, like most people, my eyes were fixated on David and not the surroundings as much. But if I were a fan of Danny's back then, I would have seen that and thought, WTF? Laughing
_________________
"I may stumble, I may fall. But I won't care if there is you, at the end of it all"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BLUEBIRD
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant


Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 207

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Episode 73 - Diary of a Mad Millionaire Reply with quote


In the scene where they are first alone in the mansion looking around wearing their stage outfits -- notice they forgot to remove the marks on the floor! Dave hits his perfectly as he enters.

Lu Applause
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 1093
Location: With my wife

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to check this out.
Unfortunately a friend is currently
borrowing seasons 3 & 4.

Darryl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Joe R
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer


Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mistakes from PF episodes Reply with quote

lauralambert wrote:
There is one mistake, I remember and that is in the Pilot episode, not only does Shirley make the mistake of saying "Remember the five of us, in the back of our garage" but Keith also says "No it's for five voices" when quite clearly there were already five people there already, so including Shirley there were six altogether. I wonder if anybody else noticed this mistake in the pilot episode.


In thinking about this post while watching most of the episodes recently, I think the reason that this was stated as written for five voices is because Chris usually doesn't do any singing. So adding Shirley's voice really makes five voices, with of course six band members. Not sure but that is just my thought.

Joe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 1093
Location: With my wife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mistakes from PF episodes Reply with quote

Joe R wrote:
lauralambert wrote:
There is one mistake, I remember and that is in the Pilot episode, not only does Shirley make the mistake of saying "Remember the five of us, in the back of our garage" but Keith also says "No it's for five voices" when quite clearly there were already five people there already, so including Shirley there were six altogether. I wonder if anybody else noticed this mistake in the pilot episode.


In thinking about this post while watching most of the episodes recently, I think the reason that this was stated as written for five voices is because Chris usually doesn't do any singing. So adding Shirley's voice really makes five voices, with of course six band members. Not sure but that is just my thought.

Joe


I think it's a mistake in the script.

Darryl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
IloveKeith
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant


Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Posts: 220
Location: San Pueblo, California

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I noticed about the Muldoon's Point continuity; in "Me And My Shadow" when they're hiding out at Muldoon's Point, Shirley acts like she's never heard if the place asking things like "do all the kids come here?" "Have you ever been here?" - to laurie, and "what's the name of thid place?"... But if you remember in Seaon 4 Episode "S.O.S." Shirley and Captain "Cuddles" go to Muldoon's point and reminisce about memories of being there together in high school. So if she went there all the time in High School (assuming she also gew up in San Pueblo) wouldn't she know the spot they were at?
Just something I noticed.


Also, in the episode "He-l-l-l-l-p" when Danny is throwing his shorts and a sock around as a trail, when Shirley picks them up they're a different pair of shorts and a different sock. The prop people were not on their game. lmao
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Boby256
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach


Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Location: Los Santos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshine eyes wrote:
I was wondering how the PF performed their first public appearance in Las Vegas? Wouldn't they start at small clubs or high school gyms? Rolling Eyes
I was just watching the first episode and was also curios about that too
_________________
*CHRIS IS RASIST*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 1093
Location: With my wife

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IloveKeith wrote:
Another thing I noticed about the Muldoon's Point continuity; in "Me And My Shadow" when they're hiding out at Muldoon's Point, Shirley acts like she's never heard if the place asking things like "do all the kids come here?" "Have you ever been here?" - to laurie, and "what's the name of thid place?"... But if you remember in Seaon 4 Episode "S.O.S." Shirley and Captain "Cuddles" go to Muldoon's point and reminisce about memories of being there together in high school. So if she went there all the time in High School (assuming she also gew up in San Pueblo) wouldn't she know the spot they were at?
Just something I noticed.


Also, in the episode "He-l-l-l-l-p" when Danny is throwing his shorts and a sock around as a trail, when Shirley picks them up they're a different pair of shorts and a different sock. The prop people were not on their game. lmao


Also from 'Me And My Shadow'...

As the family exits the auditorium seats after the “Rizzo” lecture, Keith trips a little on one of the chair legs. He covers it pretty well, but does look down at his feet.

I've missed this thread.

Darryl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant


Joined: 02 Jun 2005
Posts: 175
Location: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite ongoing gaffs was the fact that often the Panther 2200 organ used for the 2nd-4th seasons was often not plugged in. Could be on stage or in the garage. Don't think they had hi-fi wi-fi back then! They would also sometimes put gaffers tape over the port in the back for the plug and fuse, etc. Mine certainly won't work unless it's plugged in! Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 1093
Location: With my wife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther2200 wrote:
One of my favorite ongoing gaffs was the fact that often the Panther 2200 organ used for the 2nd-4th seasons was often not plugged in. Could be on stage or in the garage. Don't think they had hi-fi wi-fi back then! They would also sometimes put gaffers tape over the port in the back for the plug and fuse, etc. Mine certainly won't work unless it's plugged in! Rolling Eyes


Laughing

Darryl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 1093
Location: With my wife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from my files

Home Is Where The Heart Was -
At the dinner-table, Susan takes her fork and puts it to her mouth (with no food on it!)

All's War In Love And Fairs -
When Reuben’s car gets stuck, notice the license plate. It’s the same one as the bus.

You're Only Young Twice -
Keith and Laurie enter Shirley’s room to complain about Danny. After Laurie enters she lets the door fall close. Look closely and you can see a hand reach up from outside the room to finish closing the door

Ain't Loveth Grand? -
Laurie is in high school and Greg is already a minister, so there has to be a few years difference in age. So why were they taking baths together as kids?

Pin It On Danny -

The Partridge kids help Shirley celebrate her birthday by placing eight candles on her cake, claiming each candle represents x years.
Since her parents, Fred and Amanda Renfrew, claim to have been married 44years when we first met them in episode 3 (Whatever happened to the old songs), Shirley is 40 years old, unless one of the candles is for good luck, in which case she would be 42 years old.
Also in episode 35 (The Forty-year itch), Shirley says that her Parents have been sleeping in the same bed for forty years. This last bit of information says that Shirley is 39 years old.
Now factor in the ages of her children. Keith is supposedly 16 years old at this point in the series. That means Shirley had Keith when she was 23 years old. This seems almost right. Given the fact that it’s Shirley’s newest birthday.
So when Keith says one candle for every x years, the x represents 5 years.


Darryl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
IloveKeith
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant


Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Posts: 220
Location: San Pueblo, California

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye on catching that hand closing the door. I would've never noticed that. I love that most of the episodes are on Youtube now so I can quickly search and watch the mistakes mentioned Wink Laughing

In "The Strike-Out King" musical number of "I Wanna Be With You" as Keith is walking backwards up the stairs to the stage, the part in the song where it goes "all I want to do is to be with you - yes, I do - oooo" at the "yes, I do - oooo" part I think David forgets that extra emphasis on the song, doesn't lip sync that part, and does a hand motion all late. I crack up every time I watch it. Like he tried to save it but it was a fail, albeit a cute fail.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTu6T64uuDM

It happens at 1:19 - 1:22
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 1093
Location: With my wife

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IloveKeith wrote:
Good eye on catching that hand closing the door. I would've never noticed that. I love that most of the episodes are on Youtube now so I can quickly search and watch the mistakes mentioned Wink Laughing

In "The Strike-Out King" musical number of "I Wanna Be With You" as Keith is walking backwards up the stairs to the stage, the part in the song where it goes "all I want to do is to be with you - yes, I do - oooo" at the "yes, I do - oooo" part I think David forgets that extra emphasis on the song, doesn't lip sync that part, and does a hand motion all late. I crack up every time I watch it. Like he tried to save it but it was a fail, albeit a cute fail.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTu6T64uuDM

It happens at 1:19 - 1:22


This is best seen full screen.

Darryl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
IloveKeith
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant


Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Posts: 220
Location: San Pueblo, California

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I Can Get It To You Retail, Shirley gives Keith a new tooth brush which is blue, and when Danny comes to take it in the next shot it's pink. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


"gethappy" phpBB template © 2005 www.cmongethappy.com
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group