[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

What a Day (song) and Johnny Cash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kade
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: What a Day (song) and Johnny Cash Reply with quote

Been wondering a couple of things, and I don't think anyone else has asked this?

1. According to the recording sessions list, the song "What a Day" was recorded for the pilot and then scrapped. I have never heard the song and was wondering if it was recorded by any other artist and who wrote the song.

2. Why was Johnny Cash chosen to introduce the Partridge Family in their Caesar's Palace debut? After nearly 43 years I realized just how odd it was for a country music artist to introduce the group who became America's First Family of Rock. Smile

Can anyone shed any light on either of these topics?

Kevin
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's because Johnny Cash had a popular ABC variety series on TV at the same time. It was also produced by Screen Gems.
kade
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Scott! I forgot that the Man in Black had his own variety show then. My family was more into Laugh-In and, later, Jerry Reed than in Johnny Cash back then.

So that leaves the song "What a Day." I have found a lot of YouTube videos by searching under that name. A good number are for the southern gospel classic, "What a Day That Will Be." Some are for something more recent, and others are for "Daydream" (as in "what a day for a daydream . . ."). Nothing from the late '60s. If anyone can help me track down information about the song I'd appreciate it.

Kevin
clueless

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Harry Fox agency. Songfile search. Almost every song ever written.

http://www.harryfox.com/public/songfile.jsp

Look for the "What A Day" song written by the PF stable of songwriters. Then see if there were any other recordings of it you might be able to hunt down to hear it.
kade
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, Clueless. I started checking it out last night. There are 88 songs named "What a Day" (some are duplicates). I haven't seen any of the obvious Partridge Family songwriters (Tony Romeo, Wes Farrell, Cashman & West, Boyce & Hart, Gerry Goffin, Carole King, etc.), so I'll be checking out any song from 1970 and earlier as I get a chance.

Kevin
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That song was pre-Wes Farrell, so look for writers associated with Shorty Rogers, not Wes Farell's stable of writers.
bencasey
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, has anybody had any luck tracking down any info on this song? Has anybody ever heard it? If it's anything like Together or Let the Good Times In it must be great. It supposedly was meant for the pilot. Does it appear in the original unaired version of the pilot or was it replaced even before that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: