[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

The Taco Stand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boby256
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: The Taco Stand Reply with quote

If you're a PF fan (which you probably are, because you're on site,) you should know that the PF usually visit or talk about the taco stand. Does anyone else think that it's strange how the Partridge Family bus was actually left to rot at a taco stand and that the bus was usually driven to the taco stand during the show?? Think Please reply if you know if that was just coincidence or was there a special reason!
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus was sold several times after the run of the show. Even showed up in the TV movie "Helter Skelter." It eventually ended up at Lucy's Tacos and used for storage. No coincidence.
charlescrossin
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bus at lucys taco was the bus in the pilot that was at the used car lot that danny and shirley buy. this was a different bus than the one that was painted in piet mondrian colours and used for the remainder of the show.
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlescrossin wrote:
the bus at lucys taco was the bus in the pilot that was at the used car lot that danny and shirley buy. this was a different bus than the one that was painted in piet mondrian colours and used for the remainder of the show.

Charles, yes, the bus in the car lot is different, but see the FAQ section of this site regarding the bus at Lucy's.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeated from a duplicate thread about the bus:

I do not think the rotting bus behind the taco stand was the generic yellow school bus from the pilot. There's nothing distinguishable about it to make people recognize it and share stories that they have seen the PF bus there. It's always been my understanding that it was a PF painted bus. But, I have never seen photos to know for sure.

I do know what's left of the actual PF painted bus is now located in a scrap/salvage yard in the San Fernando Valley. But there's no public access to view or photograph it -- unless you want to sneak in.
BLUEBIRD
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: PF BUS Reply with quote

Wow, Scott, that is interesting! Wonder which part of the bus is actually left there?
Joe R
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Bus Reply with quote

If the remains are at a scrap/salvage yard then why can't someone go in and purchase them?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back half/outer shell is all that's left. No windows or doors or seats or tires, and I believe the front end is also gone. Sold for scrap/parts. I am not sure why people aren't allowed to buy what's left -- but there really isn't anything but the shell. You can see through the top coat to the PF design underneath though. There's a lot of security there and impossible to see it from the street. The salvage yard seems to be a place where studios take their old cars to junk them.

The bus was first used after the PF ended for an episode of "Apple's Way" in in 74/75. "Apple's Way," with it's cool water-wheel house, was filmed on the Ranch as well. That house was right down the street from where Bobby Sherman left the PF at the end of the last episode of Season One. They painted over the outside of the bus with a white - or light yellow paint. But if you watch the episode, you can see the same seats covers and inside paint job. After "Apple's Way," it was used in a creepy TV movie about Charles Manson, called "Helter Skelter."
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1957 Chevy "nose" is a hot commodity with restorers...that's probably where the front went!
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different ways the bus could have been configured. Chevy produced the frame, wheels, and front end, but the body of the bus was by Superior. Sometimes you think you see the bus, but the directional signals aren't on the front fenders, or there's no window on the back door, etc. That's because it's a variation of what was used on the PF.

If I had a million bucks I'd restore a bus, right down the the original paint job. It's never been done before with any success.
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid, there was a church up the road that had a duplicate of the bus, right down to the correct ribs on the side and rear windows. It was a Superior bus as well. I've seen several on eBay, and like you said Scott, it's rare to find one that's a duplicate, there were many body derivations. There was one duplicate for sale in Kansas years ago with a rebuilt engine, running perfectly. If I'd had the money, we would have had another spot-on PF bus. All you see online are bad knockoffs...drives me crazy!
Joe R
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a Google search for Salvage yards in San Fernando Valley and came up with 286 hits. As I went thru the list I see there are things that came up that really shouldn't be listed as salvage yards. But the list is still long. UGH!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: