[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

The Partridge Family Bus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boby256
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: The Partridge Family Bus Reply with quote

Since I know that the PF Bus was left at a taco stand, I've been looking around for pictures of it at that time. So if anyone has a picture of the rotting bus, please reply and post a picture. Smile
clueless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Partridge Family Bus Reply with quote

Boby256 wrote:
Since I know that the PF Bus was left at a taco stand, I've been looking around for pictures of it at that time. So if anyone has a picture of the rotting bus, please reply and post a picture. Smile

Check out 1976's "Helter Skelter" about the Manson Family. It's in there, although the outside was painted to be a rusted wreck. There's no mistaking that upholstery though.
Boby256
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks clueless. I'll go check that out. Wink
charlescrossin
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bus by the taco stand was the bus that was in the first episode only at the used car lot.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think the rotting bus behind the taco stand was the generic yellow school bus from the pilot. There's nothing distinguishable about it to make people recognize it and share stories that they have seen the PF bus there. It's always been my understanding that it was a PF painted bus. But, I have never seen photos to know for sure.

I do know what's left of the actual PF painted bus is now located in a scrap/salvage yard in the San Fernando Valley. But there's no public access to view or photograph it -- unless you want to sneak in.
charlescrossin
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there! i have pictures of the bus in the taco lot and the bus on the used car lot on the first episode. the bottom of the windshield in this bus is not a straight line. also the turn signal lights are in a different location than the bus that is in the series. Can i post pics on this site? Or Scott, please email me at charles.crossin@gmail.com. i would love to know the location of the junk yard as well!!! This is such an interesting discussion on such a great site.
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: San Fernando Valley Reply with quote

In a salvage yard in the valley, huh? Interesting.
1955ChevSuperiorPFbus
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: PF bus history - myths, facts and figures Reply with quote

Alot has been said and written about the PF bus, including books and countless online postings. So much of it is incorrect. First and foremost, the bus itself was a 1955 Chevrolet 6800 with 8-window Superior Coach school bus body. It was not a 1957, as has been widely, incorrectly reported and repeated over and over.

This wrong information has been repeated so many times that it is now difficult to correct. Most recently, I tried to correct the Wiki page as it incorrectly references the PF bus. My changes were declined, and the wrong info. remains.

In response to postings on this BB: "Boby256" states the PF later became a taco stand. It did not. There was a "tribute bus" painted up to look somewhat like the PF bus, but it was a different make, year and length.

"clueless" is far from clueless and is indeed correct. Amazingly, the PF bus was re-used only a few months after the PF show was cancelled, repainted and used in the 1974 production of "Helter Skelter". The PF bus went from being used on a "feel good" TV show, to a "feel bad" MOW about mass murderer Charles Manson.

As hard as it is to believe, it is true -- after the PF show was cancelled early in 1974, the bus became just another prop vehicle at the Burbank Studios / Columbia Ranch. Later in 1974, the bus was dressed down. Today with ebay, car auctions, etc., props and show vehicles are considered valuable. Today, such an iconic TV prop would be preserved, but not back then.

"clueless" is 100% correct -- the upholstery pattern on the few remaining seats seen in "Helter Skelter" are unmistakeable PF bus. Note the same side grab handles on bus exterior as well and roof rack. Also, for the PF show, underbody belly boxes were fabricated to house batteries for driving shots to power interior portable film lights. These same unique belly boxes can clearly be seen in "Helter Skelter". Inside, there are plug in power strips above the side windows used on PF to plug in lights. Those are there too.

"charlescrossin" is incorrect -- the school bus in the "Al's Used Car" scene in the pilot is again, a different year and length than the school bus seen at Lucy's Tacos. Similar yes, but not the same bus. That bus was indeed photographed as stored behind Lucy's. It disappeared c1987.

"Scott" is correct that the PF show bus, Lucy's Tacos bus, and Al's Used Car lot scene are 3 different buses -- a 1955, 1956 and 1957 Chev.

As for a San Fernando scrap yard still having the PF bus, this is another claim that has been repeated countless times. This claim is extremely doubtful. I'll leave it for you to decide that one. If you think the PF bus is still parked in a SoCal junkyard, then why is there not one single picture of it in 2014. This claim is along the same lines as Bigfoot and alien sightings. If Bigfoot or aliens exist, then show us the pictures. One picture.

Reality is, if the PF bus survived after 1974, it would NOT be in PF-Mondrian paint scheme today, as the bus was re-painted and used in other productions after PF. Also, in 2014, if it existed, it would be a valuable item, would have been bought by a collector, restored and by now we'd have seen it. But no one has seen it since the mid 1970s.

To date, the only other sighting of the PF bus was in the 1974 production of "Apple's Way", yet another Lorimar Telepictures production shot at the Burbank Studios on the very same lot the PF show was shot. In that show it was painted off white.

After 1974, there is not one documented sighting of the PF bus in the past 40 years. I wish it existed. I hope it does, but it seems extremely unlikely. I look forward to reading your replies and thoughts. Also, if anyone has a picture of a bus they think may be it, please post it here, and/or email me at popularculture@hotmail.com and I'll tell you what I think.
AarHandy3
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in no way shape or form the original bus but a knockoff. Also, the paint job incorporates features from the other side, and the "chassis" is incorrect. The only part that matches is the nose.
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like the paint job used when they did " In Search of the Partridge Family" for VH1 about 15 years ago.

The bus was not an exact replica by any means. The colors on this one are not bright enough, too pastel.
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus used for "In Search of..." was a much newer model, and yes, the paint job was awful!
IloveKeith
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know where I can watch the Helter Skelter movie?
BLUEBIRD
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: PF BUS Reply with quote

IF the original exists, the only way to know is if we knew the VIN number. And 44 years is a LONG time for any bus to exist! Very Happy
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: PF BUS Reply with quote

BLUEBIRD wrote:
IF the original exists, the only way to know is if we knew the VIN number. And 44 years is a LONG time for any bus to exist! Very Happy

Actually, the bus would be 57 years old at this point. As Scott pointed out previously, only the back half exists in the junk yard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: