[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Tony Romeo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask The Webmasters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Tony Romeo Reply with quote

I have noticed that there is absolutely nothing about Tony Romeo on this site. Or Wes Farrell for that matter. I would have thought there would be something about them. There are articles on the back ground singers, which is great. But what about the people who wrote the songs? You do have the hand written lyrics to "Only A Moment Ago", that is very cool.
Also on another matters. I have heard recently that when David Cassidy was doing his Royal Albert Hall concerts in the '80's, an object was tossed onstage and knocked him out? Did the show have to be stopped? Did it continue? Was David seriously injured? If he got knocked out, I guess that is pretty seriuos. I also heard recently that his manager in his early career, Ruth Aarons was murdered? I thought she was in bad health.
Any info on these questions would be appreciated. Oh yeah, one more question.....David's wife Sue Shifrin, is she related to Lalo Shifrin the man who writes a lot of TV and movie themes like "Mission Impossible"?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry you find the site lacking. But, Wes Farrell and Tony Romeo are both dead, making it kinda hard to interview them. I've tried channeling them but my ouiji board must be out of synch with the cosmos. Laughing So, all we can do is ask those alive what is was like to work with him, which we have done in practically every interview. Seriously, though -- if you have any material on these two that you'd like to share, feel free. Other than a two-part interview with Wes Farrell in Tiger Beat's Official Partridge Family Magazine, I haven't found too much to go on. I haven't found any photos either. Lisa Sutton was fortunate enough to interview both men before they died, and she writes a bit about them in her CD liner notes. Maybe you can get some info on them from there. As for other cast/singer/songwriters, we have interviewed Bruce Kimmel, Sandy Dvore, Ron Hicklin, John Bahler, Danny Janssen and will soon interview Bobby Hart and expand on Suzanne Crough's interview too. But it takes a lot of time to get them finished, transcribed, find photos, sound bytes, etc., and unfortunately that's something I don't have right now. Sorry, but this site is a hobby and "real" life takes over far too often. :cry:

I've never heard anything about David being murdered, or Ruth being knocked out during a concert -- or was it the other way around? Laughing I think both stories are bunk. Ruth had a drinking/drug problem. I don't know if that's what killed her but it was discussed in David's NBC TV bio and I don't recall it being a murder.

Last, I don't think Sue and Lalo Shifrin are father/daughter related. I seem to remember Sue's Dad passing away a few years ago and Lalo Shifrin is still alive. I think. If my ouiji board was calibrated, I could find out for sure. Laughing Laughing
LisaF63
Reuben's Client
Reuben's Client

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by LisaF63 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

Last, I don't think Sue and Lalo Shifrin are father/daughter related. I seem to remember Sue's Dad passing away a few years ago and Lalo Shifrin is still alive. I think. If my ouiji board was calibrated, I could find out for sure. Laughing Laughing

Lalo is Sue's Uncle.
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Another mystery solved. Thanks Cheryl. Applause
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Info Reply with quote

Trust me pal, there is no way that I find this site lacking in anyway! This place is truly amazing! It is kinda like a online amusement park! Applause Dancing It is a wealth of information. That is the reason I find interesting there is nothing on songwriters. Their passings notwithstanding, I just thought there should be some sort of section in you music area about the other people responsible for the music we enjoy. I would settle for just a bio on Tony Romeo. I know absolutely zero about this man. I mean he wrote one of the most pop perfect songs on the planet. Along with some other amazing songs like "Point Me In The Direction of Albuquerque" & Morning Rider On The Road" etc, (okay a few pop perfect songs). Most of my favorite Partridge songs are written by him....I mean come on, "My Christmas Card to You" that song has started of my holiday season since it was released, to this very day! Then there is Wes Farrell, who wrote a different batch of my other favorite Partridge songs, like "I'll Meet You Halfway" They could put me in a prison cell and play this song repeatedly and I don't think I would get tired of hearing it. Okay, well maybe not to that extreme, but you know what I mean Rolling Eyes . And not to take anything away from Lisa Sutton, who is another amazing person with a wealth of information. But just looking for something in one location, a little more comprehensive, instead of being spread out over several CD's.
This site does cover some songwriting info in the Album Reviews section, which again, I find most informative, and the hand written "Only A Moment Ago". There must be more gems out there like that to be shared.
It is just that I find the song writing process fascinating.
And that brings me to Mrs Cassidy, that is cool about her being related to Lalo...always wondered that. Hey Scott...thanks again to you and your staff for all the wonderful, cool, amazing information on this site! And thanks for separating fact from fiction. Wink
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, kudos to you Scott, Jen & Mickey and your "staff" Wink for your incomparable efforts. Very Happy
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found this little Tony quote amusing. Very Happy I think this book would be interesting, but I've never run across it. Not that I've looked too hard.

Authors: Rosenblum, Trudi Miller
Source: Billboard; 5/18/96, Vol. 108 Issue 20, p71, 1/3p, 1bw
Document Type: Book Review
Subject Terms: *BOOKS
Reviews & Products: SONGS in the Rough (Book)
Abstract: Reviews the book `Songs in the Rough,' collected by Stephen Bishop.
Full Text Word Count: 546
ISSN: 0006-2510
Section: Reviews & Previews IN PRINT

Songs In The Rough
Collected by Stephen Bishop
St. Martin's Press
155 pages, $27.95

This intriguing coffee-table book is a perfect gift for aspiring songwriters or history-minded rock fans. Stephen Bishop, a Grammy- and Oscar-nominated singer/songwriter best known for his '70s hit "On And On," spent two years tracking down rough drafts of popular songs--notes and lyrics jotted down by songwriters when inspiration first hit. Some drafts had been saved by the artists themselves, some were treasured mementos of proud mothers, and some were found scattered in attics or garages. Many were scribbled on envelopes, boarding passes, loose-leaf paper, or hotel stationery.

There are 70-odd rough drafts here, representing a wide range of folk, rock, and pop music: Bob Dylan's "Blowin' In The Wind," the Beatles' "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds," Hanna-Barbera's "Meet The Flintstones," the Partridge Family's "I Think I Love You," Paul Williams' "We've Only Just Begun," Kiss' "Rock And Roll All Nite," Pat Benatar's "Promises In The Dark," "Weird Al" Yankovic's "My Bologna," Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation," the Divinyls' "I Touch Myself," and more.

The most interesting scraps are those on which original lyrics are crossed out and reworked, providing insight into the writing process. The original first line of "The Way We Were" was "Daydreams light the corners of my mind," not the familiar "Memories . . . " On the original draft of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," the lyric following "It was 20 years ago today/Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play" was the retrospectively lame "He showed them how to please a crowd/The man's a leader that has made them proud." But the idea of creating a live sound for the studio track was already in writer Paul McCartney's mind, as suggested by a notation in the lyric that reads, "Applause. Band."

Other scraps are less informative, with blurry, faded writing that's impossible to read. These actual pieces of music history would be interesting to see up close in a museum, but reproduced in a book, they are less so.

Bobby "Boris" Pickett's draft of "Monster Mash," for example, is completely smeared and covered in stains (blood or mad-scientist potions, perhaps?).

In addition to compiling the drafts, Bishop interviewed many songwriters, asking how their songs came to be written. Some stories are touching: Jimmy Duncan wrote "My Special Angel" in a tender moment after putting his little girl to bed. Others are surprising or amusing. Tony Romeo says he originally wrote "I Think I Love You" as a "real dirgey, minor-key song . . . and it was going to be so poignant and heartbreaking--and then, when I made the connection to pitch this for the Partridges, I made it real zany.

"I will also tell you that the single was sickening to me. I detested it, I hated it. When I heard it, I thought, `What? All you have to do is stick with the demo!' I prayed for its demise."

Simultaneous with the book's release, Foundation Records will release a companion "Songs In The Rough" CD, containing 12 of the songs mentioned in the book as performed by the original artists.

Foundation will also release Bishop's fifth studio album, "Blue Guitars."
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now DC does it in concert as intended. Intereting!
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: New Version of ITILY in concert Reply with quote

Shortly after the "Then And Now" CD was realeased, I had the opportunity to talk to Mike Melvoin at one of his jazz band shows. He was suprised to hear that "On Broadway" and the acoustic version of "I Think I Love You" and didn't make it onto the CD. This is most likely the reason that David does it in his shows now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask The Webmasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: