[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #13: Star Quality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Episode #13: Star Quality Reply with quote

Star Quality
Written by Bernard Slade • Directed by Harry Falk • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: December 18, 1970

A flattering newspaper article gives Danny a big head and big ideas of branching out on his own -- until he learns that it's lonely being a star.
Guest Cast: Dick Clark, Mitzi Hoag, Gerald Michenaud, Judy March

Song:
"Singing My Song," music and lyrics by Wes Farrell and Diane Hilderbrand (on The Partridge Family Album)

Tube Trivia:
• Mitzi Hoag is best known for playing Elsie Gillis on "Here Come the Brides." She also appeared in Episodes 43, 51, and 89.
• Dick Clark is best known for hosting "American Bandstand," "The 25,000 Pyramid," "TVs Bloopers and Practical Jokes," as well as "The Other Half," with Danny Bonaduce.
• For the first (and last) time, the Partridge girls wear funky red velvet hats during their performance of "Singing My Song!"
• When Danny and Reuben climb up to the tree house, they're actually in their neighbor's yard!
• This episode was written by series creator Bernard Slade. He also wrote Episodes 1, 3, 5, 8, 17, 25, 36, and 38. To read our exclusive interview with Bernard Slade, visit the People and Places section of the website!
• Songwriters Wes Farrell and Diane Hilderbrand also wrote "When We're Singing," the theme song for the first season.

Last edited by Scott on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a cute episode.
I wonder if this was filmed and written much ealrier than its air date?
In the early sequences Shirley narrates about the club appearance something she does in earlier road episodes but hasn't done since " But the memory lingers on." Also there is a mention of Simone sleeping with Reuben and we haven't seen her in a while either.

Jeremy Gelbwaks shines in his 2 scenes thanking Danny for the Dodgers and at the end when it's discovered that he was the one Sheila Faber was talking about. Shame he didn't stay with the show he really was quite a cute kid, not that I found Brian Forster to be bad either, just different.

BTW, what's with the hats that Shirley, Laurie and Tracy were wearing in the opening performance? Never did that again. Interesting look.

"singing my Song" is one of my favorites so it was nice to have in dominating the performance scenes. Even was a good instumental for Norman's audition.
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me crazy, but I always have enjoyed the little fantasy sequences. These are just a precursor for the whole fantasy script in the Christmas episode.

Singing My Song, used again (it is one of my favorites for the first album) was great.

This episode having more Shirley voice-over is a throwback to the beginning and could be either it was filmed earlier than some of the others, or perhaps because it was written by Bernard Slade (who created the show) and he really liked the voice-over thing.

It was a bit of a neglected detail that we didn't really see Danny working on his act or exactly what he planned to do as a solo... that would have made the situation a bit more poignant in my opinion.

This episode also specifies that at least at this point in the show, Rueben still lived a plane flight away from the family (again with "Mr. Kincaid, Danny Partridge here" which could be a drinking game now... way too young when the show first aired) and using the tree house as a secluded place to talk was very funny.

This plot was I think a bit too similar to the "Danny is gonna do comedy" episode to stand out for me, but I still enjoyed it.

Jeff
casscantmakeit
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Nice Scott Reply with quote

Hey Gang!

Just wanna say that Scott, I love what you are doing with the episodes here. Nice nice to see them examined in such loving detail!

Right ON!

Eric
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit behind in my PF viewing...
But, I love Danny's fantasy sequences. Especially the one in which is 'does' Sinatra. Complete with jacket-over-the-shoulder, fedora hat, and lamp post. He says, 'for my first number, I'm going to grin at you.'
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still getting caught up on the old episodes...

For some reason, hearing Singing My Song brought back a very vivid memory of playing with my Partridge Family Trading Cards. I could almost smell the O-Pee-Chee bubble gum and feel the powdered sugar on my fingertips. I still have a complete set of the blue-bordered cards. Maybe I'll take them out after this episode and assemble the puzzle on the back. It's certainly at least 35 years since I did that!

Interesting to hear Shirley and Danny talk about finances, about how they're hardly making a fortune and that they have a high overhead on the road. That's dialogue that certainly flew over my head as a kid.

Reuben's panic that Danny's voice might be changing also brings back memories. I remember my local radio station doing mock news reports when word leaked that Donny Osmond's voice had changed. They had a "reporter" on scene (where? I don't know.) saying, "Yes, it has changed. Donny's voice has changed!", with all the gravity of a reporter on the Apollo space missions reporting that, "The Eagle has landed"! Laughing

I think Danny had a real influence on me back then. Seeing him read Variety strikes a chord. It was around that time that I started taking a bus into town every weekend to buy the latest issue of Variety. What a little nerd I was!

I've always liked Danny much more than Keith, but I have to admit I get a kick out of seeing Keith taking such glee in Danny's misery in this episode. Sometimes little brothers are a pain. (I'm the youngest in my family, so I was the little brother...my poor sibs!)

I remember Gerald Michenaud from an old episode of Mary Tyler Moore, where he played a younger admirer of Mary Richards' who ends up dating Phyllis' daughter, Bess. You should check him out at imdb.com (under his real name of Jean-Michel Michenaud) to see how many reality shows he has executive produced.
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben says to Tracy, “Are you a neat eater?” She says, “Pretty neat”. Yet in episode #40-(Home is where the heart was) Keith says he misses Tracy putting her hand in his food. So, apparently she’s not.

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: