[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode 22: Road Song

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Episode 22: Road Song Reply with quote

Road Song
Written by Dale McRaven, • Directed by Akan Rafkin • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: February 26, 1971

When a runaway girl hitches a ride with the Partridge Family,Shirley convinces police to allow her to reunite the girl with her father in Albuquerque.
Guest Cast: Laurie Prange, Sandy Kenyon, Ian Wolfe, Harry Hickox, Stuart Nisbet, Dick Wilson

Song:
"Point Me In The Direction Of Albuquerque," music and lyrics by Tony Romeo (on The Partridge Family Album)

Tube Trivia:
• Laurie Prange has appeared on such series as, "The Waltons," "The Incredible Hulk," "Medical Center," "Hawaii Five-O," "My Three Sons, " "Barnaby Jones," "The Love Boat," "T.J. Hooker," and "Murder, She Wrote."
• Sandy Kenyon was a regular on "Love On A Rooftop" (also created by Bernard Slade).
• Dick Wilson is best remembered as Mr. Whipple in the Charmin Toilet Paper commercials. He frequently played drunks on TV shows, most notably "Bewitched."
• Dale McRaven was the Story Editor for "The Partridge Family." He went on to produce and co-create such shows as "Mork & Mindy," "Laverne & Shirley," and "Perfect Strangers."
• Which came first -- the Partridge or the egg? Or, in this case, the song or the episode? "Point Me In The Direction of Albuquerque" remains one of the Partridge Family's most remembered songs. In fact, an entire episode was written around it! According to writer Tony Romeo, he got the idea one night while at a newspaper stand in New York City. There, he spotted a young girl waiting all alone -- and a song was born!

Last edited by Scott on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:17 am; edited 4 times in total
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the song "Morning Rider On The Road" (from "Up To Date") should have been included in the beginning of the episode!!
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always like how the music ties to the episode in this one.

Did catch an interesting background angle when the Family is leaving the motel in the morning you can clearly see the PF house through the window of the bus. A true buch of "Staycationers" those Partridgedes Very Happy

Seriously, the storyline is one that really serves the Partridge road singing group concept well and is just a lot of fun.
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Tony Romeo's songs always stood out for me as really strong pieces of music and to have an episode "built" around this one was terrific! The story was sweet and a bit deeper than some of the other scripts and really gave Shirley a chance to express the concern and compassion that she does so well. Using the old western town as a stopping place for the family before getting to Albuquerque, was interesting. It was such a bustling little town to have dirt streets... but the guest star casting was excellent and believable and the search and chase scene during the song was fun.

This one I remember fondly from the first airing and it still holds up pretty well. One of my first season favorites.

Jeff
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've ALWAYS wondered about regarding this espisode was this: WHY is it that while Maggie's widowed father, and her maternal grandfather, are both clearly AMERICAN, does she have a BRITISH accent? Confused
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched this episode again. First, the house seen through the bus windows as the family's leaving the motel is not the PF house, but the Ranch Commissary. Also, did anyone else see the rabbit that hops into end of the scene at the motel where Shirley is trying to get the truth out of the runaway? Just as she's getting out of her seat and walking out of the shot, the rabbit can be scene on the left side of the screen!
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This includes one of my favorite Shirley/Keith 'discussions'

Keith- “Mom, I wanna talk to you about taking my car.”
Shirley- “Get in, we’ll talk about it on the way.”
(Keith steps onto the bus and Shirley closes the door behind him.)

Guess that was the end of that discussion. Laughing

Darryl
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl, I believe that scene was in "A Partridge Up A Pear Tree.."
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther2200 wrote:
Darryl, I believe that scene was in "A Partridge Up A Pear Tree.."

You right, I copied a quote from the previous episode.
Here's a quote from the correct episode...

Waitress - "Close the door, your letting the flies out."

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: