[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #15: Mom Drops Out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Episode #15: Mom Drops Out Reply with quote

Mom Drops Out
Written by Peter Meyerson • Directed by Harry Falk • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: January 8, 1971

When a European concert promoter tells Shirley she's out with the "in" crowd, she drops out of the group so her family can enjoy their tour.
Guest Cast: Gino Conforti, Joel Warfield, Renee Tetro

Songs:
"Baby I Love, Love, I Love You," music and lyrics by Derek Lawrence, Tony Wilson and Errol Brown (Unreleased on commercial LP) (Released on the CD, Come On Get Happy: The Very Best of The Partridge Family)
"When We're Singing'" Music and lyrics by Wes Farrell and Diane Hilderbrand (Unreleased on commercial LP)
"I Can Feel Your Heartbeat," music and lyrics by Wes Farrell, Mike Appel and Jim Cretecos (on The Partridge Family Album)

Tube Trivia:
• Gino Conforti also appeared in Episodes 8 and 85.
• Wes Farrell briefly considered releasing "I Can Feel Your Heartbeat" as the Partridge Family's second single but decided against it, as he feared it would water down album sales.
• Songwriting partners Mike Appell and Jim Cretecos wrote 5 songs for The Partridge Family with Wes Farrell, including the group's second hit single, "Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted." They switched professions and became managers when they discovered a little known singer/musician. His name? Bruce Springsteen!

Last edited by Scott on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite episodes.

As a comment on the times and the youth movement it still holds up today what with all the marketers these days still chasing the young people.

Latest Star Trek ad is billing itself as "this is not your Father's Star Trek."

Very much a "Family" episode and interesting that the kids still want Shirley to sing with them even though she was not part of their plans in the pilot until their friend who was supposed to record to them was absent.

Of course, we all know that the show was a vehicle for Shirley and even as popular as David became there was no way they would ever continue without her.
Of course,the promoter was funny wearing what became the signature for outfit for Austin Powers in the 90's.
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite episodes as it really gave the family a chance to show how much they care about each other (I am such a sentimental sap sometimes). The promoter had some great lines and Danny kept saying how sexy Shirley is.... hmmmm... cute.

If I remember correctly, the "Heartbeat" segment (which is terrific) gets used again in another episode and it made me wonder why Shirley was not dressed like the rest of the family.... (maybe I missed this episode when it first ran adn caught it in reruns).

These "On the road" scripts were fabulous and part of what really sold me on the show (it seemed so glamorous). Loved it!

Jeff
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite scene was when Laurie & Keith stood up to the promoter. David had a flash of the old dramatic side he had on the shows he started out on (another scene was his confrontation with Shirley's boyfriend in the When Mother Gets Married)
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KathySTL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes,

They use the Heartbeat segment again later. You know that it's tacked on because of Shirley being in this dress. I'ts the only time she doesn't sing in costume. Makes sense in this episode later, no.

I would say that was a bit of blooper on the part of the producers, but the song is still one of my favorites.
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this episode originally aired, my brothers tried to convince me that they didn't want our mom to go on vacation with us that summer. They tried to upset me, but I didn't buy it. The funny thing is that as it turned out, my two brothers and my mom all flew across the country to visit relatives that summer, and my dad, sister and I stayed home. Suddenly, WE were out of the group! Laughing Oh, well.

That Logan Mays seemed to be ahead of his time! With that camera there, it's like he was doing his own reality series! Laughing Breaking Mays!

That club performance was painful to watch. They should never have let the actually stars sing with their own real voices! Talk about ruining the illusion. Yuck.

Some random thoughts: When the kids returned home, why did they ring the doorbell? Doesn't anyone get a key other than Shirl? When Danny is the last holdout after everyone else quits, I had to wonder if he STILL wants to go solo! Who does he think he is, Diana Ross? Interesting that people is Paris are clamoring for Shirley! She's like the Jerry Lewis of The Partridge Family!

It's funny that this performance of Heartbeat is supposed to be in Paris, but when it shows up on a later episode, they're not in Paris at all! Ah, the magic of television!
GeoffB40
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVGord wrote:

That club performance was painful to watch. They should never have let the actual stars sing with their own real voices! Talk about ruining the illusion. Yuck.

I think if you listen really carefully you will hear it is the regular background vocalists who do this terrible version for the purposes of the storyline - it definitely is not the child actors or Cassidy for that matter. I am fairly certain I can hear John Bahler in there.

Scott, was this version ever on a Screen Gems recording?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going by memory, but I believe Geoff is right. I think it's the PF background singers performing off key.
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. I always thought that was Susan's awful voice, in particular. Live and learn. Smile
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Shirley arrives home in the station wagon she is wearing a peach-colored outfit, yet when she walks into the garage a moment later it’s a dark mustard color.

Shirley asks anyone if they need anything from the supermarket, yet she just got back.

Why do the kids ring the doorbell to their own house?

Great lines-
Reuben- “Would you mind bringing the phone to our table, please?”
Waitress- “No, I don’t mind. Would you mind helping me tear it off the wall?”

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: