[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #7: Danny And The Mob
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, once again, those pictures and your insights are just mind-blowing! Just...mind...blow... ... ...oh, um -ing!!! Laughing

I'm finally getting back into the DVD club after being away for several months. I watched this episode way back when I thought I could actually comment on it at the time, but something happened with my laptop and suddenly I couldn't log onto this site for a couple of weeks...then work got even crazier...but who cares, let's get on with it! :-)

I can't see Pat Harrington and Vic Tayback together without thinking of the time (years after this episode) when they both tied for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series at the Golden Globes (for Schneider and Mel, respectively). I remember mostly because I loathed both Schneider and Mel, and I could not believe they even got nominated, let alone tied for the win! Oh, the horror! Wink I watched One Day At A Time because I knew I would one day make Valerie Bertinelli my wife, but I don't why I watched Alice, because I never really liked it. I just watched it. I guess because it was on after All In The Family or One Day At A Time.

This was a fun episode, because it was a lot like those PF paperback books they used to release. It was like a real adventure. The musical montage chase scene was fun.

I can't believe Barbara Rhoades never got a real series of her own. I guess the closest to a regular gig was when she was on Soap, but that was hardly her own. She came close to becoming a regular on Maude, but Bea Arthur decided to end the series just when she came on board.

That's actually quite an interesting story. In the final season of Maude, there was a three-part season finale where Maude is elected to Congress and moves to Washington. Barbara Rhoades and other Norman Lear mainstays Dennis Burkley and Nedra Nolz are hired as Congresswoman Findlay's staff. Bill Macy was going to follow her to Washington, but the rest of the cast (Adrienne Barbeau, Rue McClanahan and Conrad Bain) would be written out as regulars, with plans to have them make guest appearances. All that went out the window when Arthur decided to pack it in.

Norman Lear liked the new concept, though, and decided to rework it with John Amos (who coincidentally played Florida's husband on both Maude and Good Times...even though he was Henry Evans on Maude and James Evans on Good Times...but that's another story...). So instead of the show being about a woman in Congress, it became a show about a black man in Congress.

Unfortunately, John Amos continued to clash with the writers (which is why he was killed off Good Times), and he backed out before the show made it to air. Instead, they hired Cleavon Little of Blazing Saddles fame to play the role, but for one reason or another, THAT version never made it to air, either...

But wait, the story's not over yet! Rolling Eyes

A year later (1979), the premise was resurrected AGAIN, but instead of making the lead character a congressman, they made him the president of a university. And guess who they hired to play that lead role? Bill Macy, who had been Maude's (not)-better half! Regardless of ALL of these changes, Barbara Rhoades, Dennis Burkley and Nedra Volz ALL returned in the same damn roles...same names...same everything!

And the show was cancelled after four episodes!

Whew!

I love television! Smile
AarHandy3
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Vic Tayback Trivia Footnote: Reply with quote

Tayback previously played a gypsy named Rocco in Episode No. 16 of The Monkees, The Son Of A Gypsy (#4724).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the opening check out Laurie's shoes. At the top of the scene when they're rehearsing she is wearing blue sneakers. After LaVonne LaVerne leaves with Danny, she's wearing sandals!

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: