[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #8: But The Memory Lingers On

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Episode #8: But The Memory Lingers On Reply with quote

But The Memory Lingers On
Written by Bernard Slade • Directed by E.W. Shackhamer • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: November 13, 1970

After a skunk leaves its scent on their bus, the Partridges fear that their B.O. will K.O. their audience!
Guest Cast: Gino Conforti, Howard Morton, Joseph Perry, Bob Gibbons, George Spell, Dick Balduzzi, Jo Anne Meredith, Bill Luckling, A'Leisha Lee

Songs:
"I Think I Love You," music and lyrics by Tony Romeo (on The Partridge Family Album)
"Brand New Me," music and lyrics by Wes Farrell and Eddie Singleton (on The Partridge Family Album)

Tube Trivia:
• Gino Conforti played Logan Mays in Episode 15 and appeared again in Episode 85.
• Howard Morton was a regular on "Gimme A Break," and "The New Munsters."
• As the skunk enters the Partridge Family bus, look closely and you'll see the wire that technicians had to use to coax it inside!
• This is probably the best remembered of all episodes written by series creator Bernard Slade. He also wrote Episodes 1, 3, 5, 13, 17, 25, 36, and 38. To read our exclusive interview with Bernard Slade, visit the People and Places section of the website!
• Director E.W. Swackhamer was married to actress Bridget Hanley ("Here Come the Brides.")
• "I Think I Love You" hit Number 1 on the Billboard charts a week after this episode aired! It remained there for 3 weeks, and was certified gold in December.
• Wes Farrell and the Partridge Family's musicians and singers reunited in the studio to start recording the remaining songs for "Up To Date" the week this episode aired.

Last edited by Scott on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:18 am; edited 4 times in total
Skizzy
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this episode! It first aired on my birthday. I scheduled my birthday party sleepover for Saturday night so I wouldn't miss the show on Friday night. LOL. I started my obsession with this show at a very young age. Laughing
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joy of being able to watch these on Friday night is so much fun when I make it work.

It's still Friday night for about 10 minutes here, and I just finished this episode.

It is one of my favorites and Shirley looks gorgeous and sexy in the OR in the borrowed Cocktail outfit.
You really see the joy on the kids faces in the hospital at their appearance even though they are not in their traditional performing costumes. David Cassidy looks like he is having a lot of fun performing on this set with these kids in the audience more than he ever does in the normal theatre sets they usuallly perform in.

Of course, all the scenesin this episode are funny. The expression on the motel clerks face when he sees the family wearing the kerchiefs outside is priceless as well as all the reactions of the people they encounter while smelling of skunk and preparing to bathe in "embarrasing quatnities of tomato juice"
Even the little boy with the cold who is trying to help Simone is fun.
Their dog shines in this episode, and then is gone later. miss him even if he is a skunk lover. ( he thinks he loves it)
Noticed the old record player at the picnic that they were using. I don't remmeber them being battery operated though, it wasn't crank because it was clearly a stereo lp player. Did they plug into the bus somehow?
and yes, I did see the string used to pull the skunk into the bus.

Great episode and great way to end my Friday night.
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely another GREAT episode from the first season! Cool And the first time I, personally, can recall ever hearing "I Think I Love You" (though I later understood the song to be a Top 40 hit even before the show aired, I never heard it as I wasn't into radio back then), though "Brand New Me", subsequently, became a favorite of mine. Wink

The family outing in the park was very realistic, except (as Kathy noted) for the phonograph player; I actually felt sorry for the poor skunk, who was so obviously dragged up the bus steps, only to be roughly ejected moment later -- from what I understand they make great pets (once they've been "de-bagged", of course!). It's always a crack up when little Chris and Tracy, yet again, go into their "Whooo?" routine, this time in answer to Shirley's insistence all enter "Mae West's boudoir". Laughing

Their first stop at the motel is comedic gold! Especially when the clerk, on the phone with Shirley, glimpses out the window to see the family wearing what he can only perceive to be robbers' masks! The ensuing arrival of the police, and their reactions to the spunky mother and her skunky offspring (sorry about that, but I couldn't resist!) is always hilarious! Laughing :lol:

And who can ever forget (after being shunned by the grand hotel's doormen) the family's rather stately entrance upon finally reaching their destination. I just love it when Danny, somewhat loudly, pronounces (with surprisingly childlike innocence for one usually so precocious) that they "don't smell very good"! While Reuben's harried arrival is always fun for all, especially his one-sided phone conversation with Room Service where he orders "an embarrassing amount of tomato juice", the elevator scenes are EVEN FUNNIER! Talk about clearing a (small) room! Laughing Laughing Laughing

And when Danny and Reuben go "trolling for clothes" from the hotel's staff and its other guests, I always laugh myself silly: the quips are fast and furious ("I don't date midgets."; "I don't think it's your color!"; "Would you believe I was six-feet-tall this morning, but I shrank in the shower?" -- or something to that effect!)! Laughing Laughing Laughing :lol:

The family's exit, led by the sexy, leggy "Mom" Partridge is always a keeper as well. And I love the "just-when-you-thought-it-was-over" moment in the taxi when the kid with the "terrible cold" returns the "fragrant" Simone to them! Shocked

Their performance in the hospital's operating theatre was a classic to be sure. And their "abandonment" of poor Reuben at the end was a nice final touch to an overall hysterical episode! Definitely one of the first season's gems! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say about this episode but that it is truly a classic in my book. There are so many good things ... the jokes, the visual gags, the predicament and two songs...

Rueben was smart enough to come up with a solution but then gets deserted in the end. The elevator moments were very clever as was the mistaken assumption by the first hotel manager that they were being robbed...

"I Think I Love You" at the beginning and "Brand New Me" near the end! what fun!!!

Danny gets to interact with strangers which was always funny and each of the kids had a few jokes to contribute. Shirley as the determined mother (she really was perfect in this role) and Simone got 15 minutes of fame too.

This episode goes high on my list from season 1 right after the pilot. I love it.

Jeff
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GREATEST! Just the greatest, that's all!

Even all these years later, people know tomato juice neutralizes the smell of skunk, and if you press them on how they know, they'll eventually confirm that it's traced back to this episode of The Partridge Family!

["Debagged", Daydreamer72??? Really??? Was that, um, necessary? Shocked Laughing ]

I wholeheartedly agree with goodyj: after the pilot, this is my favorite episode!

It's funny. Watching Brand New Me in this context makes me think of my best friend, Michael, from back then. The Partridge Family Album was actually the FIFTH PF album I ever bought. I had Up-To-Date first, because Mike had an oh-so state-of-the-art 8-Track of the first album, so I could always listen to his. (In summer 1971, when I went to K-Mart specifically to get "Album", I saw Sound Magazine in the store, so I bought it instead. Then of course, I got Christmas Card. And during spring break in 1972, a friend of mine who went to Germany came back with Shopping Bag and he sold it to me for two dollars ("Sucker!", we BOTH said under our breath, as we walked away from each other!) Laughing I don't even remember WHEN I got my own copy of "Album", but it was long after I had the others all memorized!
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVGord wrote:
[ .... "Debagged", Daydreamer72??? Really??? Was that, um, necessary? Shocked Laughing ]

Sorry about that, Gord, but I didn't know any other way of putting it -- so to speak! Embarassed Razz Laughing Wink
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the classic one's for me. The scene when the partridges take baths in tomato juice is still very funny. Also I have good memories of CGH.com postings from about 10 years or so ago that were centered around the tomato juice baths. I don't remember exactly what was so funny - but a warm feeling comes over me as I think of it!

BTW I will try to keep up with this and enjoy sharing and reminiscsing about episodes.

Ed
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This episodes is full of some great one-liners.

Darryl
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! Even my non-PF fanatical-fan-friends remember this episode above all others (except the Christmas episode, but probably because it aired every year they were on the network). It always makes me laugh.

One of my friend's dog was sprayed last weekend, and the first thing he thought of was tomato juice, and it was because of The Partridge Family!
KathySTL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the funniest one of the series and the one I like to show to folks who want an introduction ( or I con into ). Even if they show no interest in any others afterwards they all say that this one is fun. Very Happy
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every show seems to have one episode that sets the tone for the concept of the show, so I see exactly what you're saying, Kathy. With WKRP, it's the Thanksgiving turkey drop episode. With Barney Miller, it's the hash brownies episode. With Soap, it was the first time Jessica, Mary, Eunice and Corinne sat around the kitchen table eating the cake ring (a pre-cursor to what Susan Harris would repeat on The Golden Girls, with those cheesecake conversations in the kitchen). For The Partridge Family, yanking that skunk onto the bus with the not-so-invisible wire was the one! Smile
Simone70
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite episodes too! Very Happy I love the whole idea, and it really came out well. The sons were great and I loved how they had to find peoples clothes to preform in Laughing The end was funny, where Ruebin was in the elevator. Has anyone else noticed that at the end where they were wearing the hospital clothes that it looked like Shirley had on a name-tag that said Shirley Jones? Could just be my imagination, but thought I'd ask. Smile

Simone70
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simone70 wrote:
One of my favorite episodes too! Very Happy I love the whole idea, and it really came out well. The sons were great and I loved how they had to find peoples clothes to preform in Laughing The end was funny, where Ruebin was in the elevator. Has anyone else noticed that at the end where they were wearing the hospital clothes that it looked like Shirley had on a name-tag that said Shirley Jones? Could just be my imagination, but thought I'd ask. Smile

Never noticed about the nametag.

Darryl
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the family is walking through the lobby in their big clothes, Tracy’s dress is obviously too big for her. Yet when
she performs, it’s just right. When did they have time to stop for alterations?

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: