[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #12: My Son, The Feminist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Episode #12: My Son, The Feminist Reply with quote

My Son, the Feminist
Written by Richard Deroy • Directed by Peter Baldwin • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: December 11, 1970

Thanks to Keith's girlfriend, the Partridge Family gets involved with women's liberation!
Guest Cast: Jane Actman, Leonard Stone, Fran Ryan, Sari Price, Dort Clark

Song:
"I Think I Love You," music and lyrics by Tony Romeo (on The Partridge Family Album)

Tube Trivia:
• Jane Actman was a regular on "The Paul Lynde Show."
• Leonard Stone is best remembered for his role in "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."
• Sari Price was also Shirley Jones' stand-in.
• Released as a single in August, 1970, "I Think I Love You," was already Number 1, and certified gold when this episode aired. It sold 350,000 copies by the end of the year, receiving a National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM) award for fastest selling single of 1970! It went on to sell over 5 million copies. "The Partridge Family Album" finished the year at #4 on the LP charts! It remained on the charts for a whopping 68 weeks.

Last edited by Scott on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started this at 11:58 pm so I did watch it on Friday night Very Happy

Actually this is an interesting episdoe because its topical. Also dates the episode a bit and when my husband came downstairs while I was watching it I had to remind him that this episdode aired in 1970.

Still though the points of radical groups protesting is still relevant today and I was struck by how the "Morality Watchdogs" are very much like some the groups you see today.

I thought it was cute that Tina lived at "Samnatha's" house, and it was interesting that Keith didn't do the low almost talking part of ITILY.

The points about censorship in this episode were very good too, and of course, you gotta love the tage where Danny argues that they would be paid by the Media Watchdogs to sing.
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this episode is strangely dated, and not, at the same time. The morality watch dogs are in full force today, and the hard core feminists have gone underground. What, With so much work to be done? I like the way both extremes are made to look pretty foolish and the dialogue is very funny. A favorite moment, when Keith attempts to help Tina down the stairs of the bus, 'oh yes I forgot, this is a meaningless descending ritual'. The airhead begins to emerge! But the smart ass returns when he asks Tina, 'aren't your lips just using my lips?' etc. She obviously didn't know Keith well, or she never would have insinuated that Mom Partridge was merely a drudge producing children at the dinner table. In front of that Mamma's Boy! Poor Tina didn't know what she had coming. But maybe she liked digging ditches.
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tina says,
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm late with this one, so here goes...

I can remember when it first aired (way back when) as "I Think I Love You" was getting played all over the radio and this was the episode it was attached to.

The issue of the episode (liberal group vs. conservative group) was kinda gutsy for a family oriented show and I thought the writing was very good. David has a chance to be a little snotty to Tina and I am surprised after all their angry interactions that they seemed to still be dating after it was all over.

The ending was fun with Danny repeating the the Watchdogs were going to pay.... is classic comedy 101.

My partner watched part of this episode with me and he was surprised (and I think a bit impressed) at the political subject matter.

This episode stands out for me during the first season for the topic and "I Think I Love You" as the song... great one!

Jeff
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh mom, we should have a long talk about the kind of people you're hanging around with!" Laughing Laughing Laughing -- Laurie, after she hears the Morality Watchdogs are dropping by in the morning. Very funny line!

This was a really good episode. And yes, it was pretty topical for The Partridge Family. I wish they had done more of this back then. I was already won over by All In The Family not long after this episode aired, so it wasn't long before shows like this had become "quaint". Not that I would have wanted it to become strident or anything, but I think they could have been a little more "with it" over time, rather than becoming less so (which it did).

I think it was interesting that Laurie was obviously put off by Tina's views, considering Laurie was pretty much a feminist herself. This episode really did a lot to show some subtle distinctions, here.

For all the forward-thinking-ness of the episode, I love that one shot around the 17-minute mark, where the camera widens out from a shot of a woman's rear end as she walks away from the camera! Hee hee! Who was the chauvinist who came up with THAT shot!??? Laughing

I think there was some definitely some chemistry between Keith and Tina during the end of I Think I Love You! I'll be they had some mind-blowing, um, necking, up at Muldoon's Point after the show! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has one of my fave season one quotes.

Laurie- "You're a pretty lucky woman Mrs. Partridge. Most mothers have to worry about drugs and violence. All your ding-a-ling son thinks about are girls.

Laughing Laughing

Darryl
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tina says, “The family unit is only beneficial to the husband.” Doesn’t she have any tact at all? Shirley doesn’t have a husband.

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: