[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

New Book: The Partridge Family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: New Book: The Partridge Family Reply with quote

Hi All,
Anyone know about this? I was on the Alibris website and came across this,
A print on demand book:

The Partridge Family (Paperback)
by Surhone, Lambert M. (Editor), and Timpledon, Miriam T. (Editor), and Marseken, Susan F. (Editor)

It is about our favorite family, but there were no descriptive details.
It's about $50.

Any info?
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, I'm intrigued. Googled "Marseken, Susan F. (Editor)" and found a Wiki entry on a German publishing company called VDM Publishing. Pretty interesting setup: they print on demand books consisting of free Wikipedia articles.

"Alphascript Publishing (created in April 2009),[25] Betascript Publishing (created in January 2010), Fastbook Publishing (created in July 2009)[26] and Doyen Verlag (created in April 2010) are imprints of VDM Publishing, which publish and sell collections of freely available Wikipedia articles as commercial printed-on-demand books. (...) These books have been inadvertently purchased by German libraries at the request of their patrons.[27]"

"These titles are published as edited by Frederic P. Miller, Agnes F. Vandome, and John McBrewster who are also listed as authors. As of November 2010[update], there are over 77,000 titles listed on Amazon.com.[28] As of March 2010[update], Betascript lists "Lambert M. Surhone, Miriam T. Timpledon and Susan F. Marseken" as editors, giving an additional 69,500 titles as of November 2010[update].[29]"

So, this book on The Partridge Family is a trade paperback of 86 pages they sell for over $50? No author credit given. Doubt Wiki has 86 pages worth of info on the PF. Does this ring any bells, Scott? I'm curious as to the book's content source but not curious enough to spend over 50 bucks to find out.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, doesn't ring a bell at all. AND, I would be wary of anything that uses Wikipedia as a reference. Wikipedia is NOT at all accurate on pretty much anything. It relies on average Joe Shmoes uploading content without any fact checking or resource confirmation. I could upload "David Cassidy was born a hermaphrodite," and it would be posted and people would read it and take it as fact. Laughing
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this gets curiouser and curiouser. Googled "VDM Publishing and The PF" and got a link to a book on Danny Bonaduce. VDM provided the synopsis for Barnes and Nobles and boast of its "High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles!"

"Product Details
* Pub. Date: June 2010
* Publisher: VDM Publishing House Ltd.
* Format: Paperback , 92pp
* ISBN-13: 9786131641800
* ISBN: 6131641803

Synopsis
High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles! Dante Daniel "Danny" Bonaduce is an American radio/television personality, comedian, professional wrestler, and former child actor who, as an adult, became known for his tumultuous personal life."

Three editors (different than the ones on the PF book) for 92 pages?! Wow. They must have cross-referenced the life out of the original Wiki article on DB to get 92 pages of content. And they want 40 bucks for their trouble. What could this book possibly contain that can't be found for free on the Net? Worse, they don't even have the nerve to imply it does contain anything but free internet content. Wonder how many copies they've sold. At 92 pages, it's a thin paperback but still pretty thick to have been gleaned solely from Wiki pages. Perhaps it's printed in Courier 20 point. Laughing They probably have a book on every cast member.

Scott, I was just wondering if they contacted you to include any content from your website. They say they contact web authors for rights to publish. I can't imagine how they can put together (I can't bring myself to use 'write') a book on the show or any of its cast members and not include your site as a source of info.

Keithlives, now you know where to 'pitch' your thesis (half joking).

ETA: Double-checked editors' names.
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Scott has suggested, I would not take seriously any publication that derives its sources from Wiki sites. In England no schoolchildren or college students are allowed to source any info from Wikipedia, it is that unreliable.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know and I thought most people knew how worthless Wiki info was but perhaps they don't if such a "publisher" can paste together "books" like this. I thought VDM had a lot of gall to print these "books" on demand but I guess they don't need gall if people aren't more critical of content. A real case of money for nothing. VDM gets money for creating nothing and the customer pays money to get nothing of value. Even their website looks fake and empty.
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it's one of the many downfalls of internet 'research'. It seems the concept of 'fact checking' has gone out of the nomenclature. Any A hole can write anything and as long as it's repeated enough it goes for fact.
I've had a number of students give presentations based on internet info, and their info is wrong.

Thanks for the follow up guys. $50. is a lot to spend for junk!
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait! DC was born in hermaphrodite? lol
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY!!! My mother was a hermaphrodite!

Cool
danny-boy
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am eagerly awaiting Scott's PF book. How is it coming?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: