[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Amy Winehouse found dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Amy Winehouse found dead Reply with quote

Singer Amy Winehouse has died at the age of 27. Her final song will be on Tony Bennett "Duets 2: An American Classic" which comes out on Tuesday, September 20.
Partridgefan1970
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is even more sad it that it was of no surprise to anyone!
AarHandy3
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so, the dreaded Club Of 27 adds yet another member:

• Brian Jones (d. July 3, 1969)
  • Jimi Hendrix (d. September 18, 1970)
  • Janis Joplin (d. October 4, 1970)
  • Jim Morrison (d. July 3, 1971)
  • Kurt Kobain (d. April 5, 1994)
  • Pete Ham (d. April 24, 1975)
  • Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (d. March 8, 1973)
  • Amy Winehouse (d. July 23, 2011)

Crying or Very sad

Last edited by AarHandy3 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how many of those 27 year olds died from drugs? Please. Turning 27 didn't kill them, the drugs they took did. Honestly, I feel badly for her family but I am finding it hard to find sympathy for her. I know that addictions are a horrible thing to fight, but nobody forced that first needle into her veins. What's sad is I never heard of her or her music until she made headlines for her drug abuse.
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you Scott. Nobody forces drugs or alcohol down somebody's throat. I think the only reason I knew of her was because of her drug habit. I couldn't name one of her songs or knew it was her singing if I heard one.

I hate it when people say addiction is a disease. I grew up with an alcoholic father who regularly attended AA meetings and there was AA literature in our house. They would say "alcoholism is a disease just like diabetes". As a type 1 diabetic since the age of six, I resented that comparison. There was nothing I could do to make my disease go away. An alcoholic just has to stop drinking. Now as an adult I know that is obviously easier said than done but phsically possible. Addiction just doesn't happen to people the way that my disease happened to me.

I think the real disease behind addiction is depression and the drugs and/or alcohol are just used as self medication.

Just my two cents....
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Marjorie that the disease of depression is often the driving factor behind alcoholism. My brother-in-law recently died after a 10-year battle with clinical depression, an anxiety disorder and alcoholism. This was a previously high-functioning man with multiple advanced degrees and a big deal career. And then he lost his will to fight anxiety, then the depression got hold of him and then he started self-medicating with alcohol. All along the way his family was deeply involved and he was seeing psychiatrists. He had top-notch medical care. Then he lost his job (because he lost the will to get off of his couch), and then lost his medical care and it spiraled down from there. For eight years he refused to let any family members in his life or his home except for when my husband and I forced ourselves in with the aid of police to do welfare checks. It was a decade-long nightmare that I'm not even going to try to describe beyond saying that it was like having a cyclone rip through your family. In the end, the family is left asking, "What should I have done differently? What else was there to try?" The answer of course is nothing -- sad as it is, you cannot save someone who doesn't want to be saved. The triple combination of an emotional disorder, depression and alcoholism is too big to fight when the person suffering from them doesn't care enough about himself to reach out a hand to take hold of the 3,000 lifesavers that were thrown in his direction. And you cannot force an adult to be treated. As long as they pay their bills, they have the right to live as they choose, even if it is completely alone with their irrational thoughts and decaying body in drunken squalor.

All that by way of saying...I don't know if alcoholism is a disease or not, but it is a powerful force that, if allowed, will take out anything and everything in its path without regard for age, gender, race, religion and financial standing. It's a killer; avoid at all costs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: