[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

DAVID was on Today Shoe HODA & KATHIE LEE this morning!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Cast!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Maybe it is a A.P suggests in her interview that there was a sense of DC being wounded that made the girls go after him so completely. Love his response, typical DC:
Well, I was wounded. I hadn't thought about that. That's a new one."

That's a NEW one? Seriously? In all those years of therapy that was never discussed? Crap, the vulnerability in his eyes practically jumps out of those pictures and strangles your little heart.

Forgot to say: thanks for that teen idol info, Keithlives. Can't forget that social mores are involved as well when it comes to how "good girls" behave in public. When Elvis came to my mother's town, the nuns at her convent forbade the students to go to the show. I'm surprised that Elvis wasn't grabbed but I know that the Monkees were.

Last edited by DeeDee on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
singmedavid
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a lively discussion!

Thanks, Paz, for the links! It was heartwarming to see how happy David was with her. I'm so thrilled he seems to love the book. I'm kind of surprised he read it, actually. LOL! I heard on another interview that there is a musical planned as well!!! Can't wait!

I agree with the slurring speech though, Kiethlives. Hmmm. Well, I wonder what the courts will order him to do. At least he's not driving ATM.

The point you brought up about how crazy girls were for him compared with other idols are very interesting. Yes...wounded. And vulnerable. And lovely. And that voice...

I can see what you're saying about the betrayal too. Yes, very painful. I guess you can't have an experience like that and not have bitterness. I don't mind him bringing it up so much as I mind hearing the bitterness. It's not constructive.

And I loved what you wrote, DD, about AP's writing. I found it hard to get through the 2nd and 3rd chapters (if memory serves) b/c I was LMAO!!!! Oh! That was so good! I love how she is so capable of conjuring such vivid feelings and impressions in a reader too.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithlives, you have to write your thesis and publish it. I'll proofread it for you gratis, you know Smile No, make that 5% of the gross profits... Laughing
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. This book seems to be getting more publicity in the States than it did here.

Having read it, I'd agree that she's a good writer. I loved the first half of the book but not so much the second half. Everything falls together rather too well and is a little contrived in parts. I knew how this book was going to end, rather too obvious, only pond-life would not have guessed the ending. Still a nice enough light read, guess I'm used to reading classics and more high brow material. I would say it was, in essence, chick-lit.

As for people attacking DC in comments, that's par for the course. I'm afraid he needs a stylist, someone who can give him a trendy, yet mature look more in keeping for his age. Mature men can look great! All he needs is a well cut, casual suit and a tinge of grey in his hair. Those who haven't seen him lately would assume he's had vast amounts of plastic surgery (come on, that face is not 'au naturel', neither is the hair color, rather over-gelled too), and maybe he was trying a little too hard. Short people and long coats do not a good mix make. But that's just my opinion, to which I'm entitled! However, at least he is experimenting with his look, for which I applaud him. Re-inventing yourself from time to time is a good thing.
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Paz. (Thanks for making me smile)

Can I also respectfully say, what David was wearing does not constitute a Morning Suit suitable for a Royal Wedding or any other occassion. That outfit would stick out like a sore thumb. It is not a typical formal style, but does look more like it belongs to the local pimp or maybe he just walked off the set of a 'gangsta' movie. All that was missing was the bling.

The above is just a light-hearted reply. I didn't want any of you to think what David was wearing is a British style formal suit!
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britfan wrote:
To Paz. (Thanks for making me smile)

Can I also respectfully say, what David was wearing does not constitute a Morning Suit suitable for a Royal Wedding or any other occassion. That outfit would stick out like a sore thumb. It is not a typical formal style, but does look more like it belongs to the local pimp or maybe he just walked off the set of a 'gangsta' movie. All that was missing was the bling.

The above is just a light-hearted reply. I didn't want any of you to think what David was wearing is a British style formal suit!

Laughing Thanks for clarifying, and I did not mind at all. Maybe it was Austin Powers idea of a formal outfit. He was about to explain why he was wearing it and then went on to talking about the book. Want to see what he wears tonight at the Symphony, daaahling. :wink:

P.S. If you want to read good Beatle fan books, two are:
"Waiting For The Beatles" - By Carol Bedford
"Do You Want To Know A Secret" - by Pat Kinzer

Pat is a friend and ran the first George Harrison fan club and got very close with George and parents and siblings in the 1960's.

Carol writes about being part of the group of fans who lived or moved to London (Carol was from Texas) to live and work, but for the purpose of being in London to follow The Beatles at Abbey Road or Apple. George called them the Apple Scruffs and wrote a tribute song to them.

Actually during the 60's The Beatles were relatively easy to meet considering their enormous fame. Fans at Abbey Road studios saw them very often and Paul would come out of his home and speak to fans waiting at the gate. You could also go up to George's and John's homes and ring bell, and John would sometimes tell his housekeeper to see if fans at the gate, how many and let them in. Of course this all changed later as fans began to stalk celebrities for harm and when Schaefer, Selena and John were killed by "so-called" fans.
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dee Dee for the support! That is really interesting about the Nuns and Elvis! Those hips were from the devil after all! The clip I saw was an outdoor concert and Elvis was on a stage where the fans could actually rest their arms on the stage. Can you imagine? DC would have been torn to bits.

This is a bit different but I also saw Miley Cyrus riding on a float for the Thanksgiving Parade in NY. She was high up on the float singing her heart out (well lip syncing) there did not appear to be any 'extra' security around her. The usual Police baricades were in place, but no fans tried to break thru to get at her. We all know what happened to DC, SD and DB when they rode on a float.

IMHO, A.P's book is a character driven book rather than a plot driven one. Like a Jane Austin novel, we know the heroine will be married at the end before we've finished the first paragraph. It's how the characters evolve to get to the end that matters. The title of 'Crime and Punishment' alone tells the reader that a crime will be punished, it is how that punishment evolves is the entire point of the book. A.P's book is a 'coming of age' novel for girls/women. If she is writing chic lit so is Nick Hornby and so did that other guy...J.D. Salinger. My own opinion of course.
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In NY now for any big events like that, there are much more security than you can see. There are security people dressed as one of the regular floats co-riders to blend in. And there was also security on rooftops along parade route. The same as is done now for New Year's Eve Times Square. Events such as these have changed dramatically security wise since 2001 and last year's car bomber in Times Square.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Keithlives, about AP's book being character-driven. That's what made her first novel such a page turner. I just want to express my distaste for the term chick-lit. It's a publishing industry marketing term used to define a sub-genre of contemporary fiction. Chick-lit novels are self-deprecating love stories, light on conflict, with happy endings, so of course, not to be taken seriously by intelligent readers. A bit like "bubblegum music" and "teen idols" are derided by critics and music connaisseurs. In all these cases, the target audiences are female and all the terms are dismissive and condescending to the performer, author AND audiences. (Coincidence? I think not, but that's another rant.) These labels do not determine the quality of the product or performer - they just gives the audience a preconceived notion of what to expect, because, as any marketing person will tell you, people can't think for themselves. ;-)

BTW, the "chick-lit" trend is now pass
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest favorite female author is Andriana Trigiani.
Don't know if they would be deemed "chick-lit" because no pinky sparkly covers. She writes stories putting in some of her own family aspects into the fiction, and the women are from Italian American families, such as she is (which I can relate to from my mom's side), but smart, independent not untelligent or incompetent females. I enjoy her books very much.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duly noted, Paz. Thanks for the tip. Just checked online at my library and they have eight of her novels. One is Very Valentine but it's out already Smile
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDee wrote:
Duly noted, Paz. Thanks for the tip. Just checked online at my library and they have eight of her novels. One is Very Valentine but it's out already Smile

That is the first of the two book story. Very Valentine is the first and Brava Valentine is the sequel. This was the first book of hers I ever read and then I had to wait for the sequel to come out. Which I devoured! Then I took out each of her prior books from the library and they are terrific.

WIth Very Valentine, if you ever grew up with a brother who was viewed as "the Prince" of the family by mother, then you will be able to relate a lot. But even if not you will enjoy the comedy drama of her books. I am on the last two of her books from my library I had left to read "BIg Cherry Holler and Milk Glass Moon.
And I boughtiher "Viola in Reel Time" for my 14 yr old niece for Christmas after I read it from the library. I have emailed the author a few times over the past few years and she is a fav guest on Today Show. You can prob find videos of her on youtube on Today Show. She is funny.
www.adrianatrigiani.com

And Scott, sorry for this little detour off topic! Smile
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee Dee,
I agree with you absolutely about the Chic Lit thing. And your comparing it to teen idols etc. I was thinking the exact same thing.
However, there is a style of published work directed toward women that is superficial an airy, Bridget Jone's Dairy and Sex in the City come to mind.
Fluff. There is a lot of male fluff out there too, but it is never called as such. Just look at James Patterson. What should that be called? Dude Drama?
A.P does not fit into that stuff, and is given a 'bad name' by association. Which is why I feel defensive on her behalf. And on behalf of other women writers with a sense of humor rather than a sense of 'pity me I'm a suffering female' which seems to be a requirement for a woman author to be taken seriously. I recently saw 'the 100 best novels of the 20th century" list. It contained only three (yes only 3!) women authors. And 2 of the 3 were suicides. Virginia Wolf and Syliva Plath. The 3rd woman was Flanery O'connor. A woman with such a cheery world view! What does that say about the state of things for women authors?
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! I take on board your comment about female writers, I had no idea they weren't represented much in top 100. Unfortunately, I have to confess that I haven't read many female writers, maybe Agatha Christie, Austen and the Brontes. That's all. I've always dismissed them as 'fluff' so I'm as guilty as the next person. I was given a Jackie Collins book when younger, had Bridget Jones passed to me a while back and then there's those countless Milss and Boon typo romance novels so that was enough to put me off. Dont like romance or angst novels.

I like thrillers, sci-fi, gothic, classics etc. I heard Pearson took a while to finish this novel and there is a rushed element to it in the last third and more David Cassidy cliches than you can throw a stick at.

One female writer I do admire and have read is Anita Desai so there is hope for me yet!
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, whilst some of you may be on the defensive regarding Pearson and her writing skills, I have to point out that in 'I Think I Love You' she does the female population no favours at times with her characters being somewhat stereotypical and her portrayal of the 'average teen'. She paints her herione and friends as rather angsty and over the top in their hero worship, surely doing no favours to women in general. This is where I have my bugbear with the DC cliches. Her heroine wore brown because it was David's favourite colour and they followed the mags and what was said about him religiously.

Having lived through it at the time I would point out that that is not typical behaviour of an average teen, maybe some but not the majority I would imagine. Some of us were more discerning and not sucked in by all that. I dont recall anyone I knew ever being that fervent or devoted to him, there were many girls I knew who liked David or Donny or both, often we had time to like other artists at the same time, we had brains and could think! I dont recall anyone wearing brown because it was his favourite colour, I remember thinking at the time how boring, why cant his favourite colour be purple! We had other things going on in our lives besides David Cassidy. We didn't obsess over our appearance as much as she implied either, I think her memories have been clouded by modern attitudes. We couldn't care less back then, one minute you'd be made up for a disco, the next you'd be rolling in the mud playing games with your friends and not give a stuff about 'image'. We lived through recession, three day working weeks, frequent power cuts, and were completely oblivious to it all! Beccause we were young teens, just enjoying life for what it was.

I'm aware the book has to have artistic licence and have a story to it but painting girls as slavish devotees full of self doubt is not typical of teens back then as a whole, there is much more to being a burgeoning young woman than the stereotypical anecdotes in this book. It seems Pearson is happy to portray females in a fluffy manner herself.

She never fully explained how these girls managed to slip away to a concert by themselves. It wasn't unusual back then for young people to travel alone but they would not have been able to get the tickets so easily. You could only phone or write for them or got them in person and they would have needed to be paid for by cash or cheque, impossible without the complicity of parents. Lots of families in Britain didn't even have a phone in the house back then or even a car. The majority of people who went to the concerts would have lived close to them or had to have families who could afford to buy the tickets and pay for travel or were lucky enough to have a car. Yeah okay, I'm being picky!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Cast! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: