[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Obsession With David
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Cast!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiforever98
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Obsession With David Reply with quote

Hi! I AM OBSESSED !
He is my screen for my phone, my ringtone, I have know his songs since i was little, like 5 years old, except, until this year, i had no clue who the heck the Partridge Family was!
A few months ago, my cousin was all like, humming the tune to i think i love you, and she says to her sister sitting next to me, hey what is the rest of the tune? Then at that moment without even thinking, i break out in song, I THINK I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whistle

It was weird.
I was a fan of him forever i guess. Now i think i am his biggest fan, except there is one problem with being a biggest fan when u have brothers, 2 older brothers! They flip out on you every time u start humming a song, or singing a song, or when my fone rings! They clearly dont understand my love! THEY ARE LOOZERS! I <3 David Cassidy! He is sooo dreamy! LOL
Very Happy
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you mean David Cassidy WAS dreamy. I'm guessing by your grammar you are quite young. Surely you do not find a 60 year old dreamy? Anyhow maybe you should join the other youngsters on the Hotness thread. Rolling Eyes

Scott: You seem to be the beneficiary of a very recent influx of young David Cassidy fans (very curious), either genuine or dare I suggest are maybe of a more mature age (what could I be suggesting?) . I dont know if my brain can handle the subtleties of text speak and poor spelling. I thought I'd taken a wrong turn and ended up on junior facebook. Am I the only one who smells a rat? Why the sudden teen interest in a guy who's unflattering mug has recently been splashed all over the USA media/Youtube. Would your typical 12 - 16 year old find the current DC look (and age) dreamy? Would they heck as like! That's a Northern English colloquial term if you're unfamiliar with it. Means 'like h*ll they would'!
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm watching. We'll see how it progresses.
singmedavid
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ETA: It was pointed out to me that my first paragraph below could be taken as offensive, and I just wanted to say that was not my intention at all. I was just attempting some good-natured teasing and humor. I apologize if it did not come across that way. Also see my second post below.

LMAO, Britfan! OK, I admit, it is a conspiracy I'm involved in to get the young David fans to storm this board. But seriously, I think you sound more like our parents than their children. LOL!

I think I can see how this influx may have occurred. I think they may be friends online and correspond about him. So, of course, they would discuss the threads they participate in.

I am happy about their participation. To me it is a testament to David's talent, even if it is only appreciating his 70's work. For this reason, I am completely OK with their texting nomenclature. I welcome their sharing and the fact that they recognize David's talent, and so I'm willing to read anything respectful they have to say in whatever way they want to say it. I think we gain a lot by being inclusive, rather than exclusive.

skiforever98, please join us on The Hotness of David Cassidy thread: http://www.cmongethappy.com/bulletin/viewtopic.php?t=3405&start=0.

ETA: I see you already have, skiforever98!

Last edited by singmedavid on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fantastic that younger generations are discovering David's talent. The only thing I wish for these young fans (speaking generally, not singling out anyone on this board) is perspective and balance. The intensity of a first crush can overwhelm and fast turn it into an obsessive idolization. Yes, let's be ga-ga over a celebrity's looks and talent, but let's realize we've fallen for a flawed human being and not a demi-god to be worshiped.
singmedavid
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singmedavid wrote:
LMAO, Britfan! OK, I admit, it is a conspiracy I'm involved in to get the young David fans to storm this board. But seriously, I think you sound more like our parents than their children. LOL!

Britfan, I want you to know that I said this with the most benevolent of intentions. It was meant to be some good-natured teasing. But it was pointed out to me that it very well might not come across that way so I wanted to say I'm sorry if it was offensive and explain my intentions.
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smell a rat too, Britfan.
singmedavid
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy from Boston wrote:
I smell a rat too, Britfan.

I'm trying to understand why you and others would think that a likely scenario. Why would someone pose as a teen here posting about a David obsession? This question is not meant to be a challenge. I just can more easily understand how they got to their obsession as teens and ended up here posting on this board, than I can fathom a more mature person posing as them. Do you think it is the malicious that damn David every chance they get, here to expose the poor wretched souls that are DC fans? I get the feeling that those folks could never stomach even merely posing as a David fan.

Please, I'd really appreciate it if someone would explain this to me, in a respectful way, of course. Smile I may be dense at times, but I assure you that my feelings are not. From what I have seen elsewhere, this, so far, does not seem suspect to me. And even though this is not my board, I worry that a legitimate and earnest interest of the young could be alienated from participating here.

Befuddled and Concerned,
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I'll try to explain.

If the new members are genuine:
If these 'girls' had stated how they came across DC and thought how dreamy he USED to look when he was YOUNGER that may have been more believable. Are you seriously suggesting that it is perfectly normal for say 12 - 16 year olds to regard someone of 60 as 'dreamy'? It is not very normal at all and should raise concern. Most young girls should find him gross as he is today, hell even I find it hard to find him attractive these days seeing as he's messed with his looks a little too much. It would be more believable if they said he used to be so dreamy but now he's so old. Anyone over 30 is posivitely ancient to a teen.

If these girls are genuine, then as adults we must take great care how we interact with them. I work in education and am very sensitive to issues of boundaries and taking care when corresponding with minors. Yes, it may be nice to see young fans appreciate DC but if they post here then the more mature adults present here must be very careful in their responses. The DC is hot thread is tottering on dangerous ground. One if the minors has expressed an interest in, was actually chomping at the bit, to read an alleged x rated fanfic a member here is writing. Of course, that member will probably not allow that girl to read it and neither should any other forum member pass such things to minors, could be tantamount to 'grooming'. Okay that 's a bit strong but you understand the point I am making.

Anyone can post anything (within reason) and be whoever they wish on the internet and as such one should use one's instincts and common sense to form judgements and conclusions. My instincts tell me I smell a rat, as I do not believe I am reading genuine teenage responses or maybe I just watch too many detective shows.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us have been here for over 10 years, and at times -- as IDIOTIC as it sounds, there have been spoof posters that sign up to make fun of other fans, or just to cause trouble within our little community. Usually, you can smell the jerks a mile away -- like a rottem egg that's exploded -- and at other times certain posts just make you go, "Hmmmm, I wonder??" Laughing I think that's the case here. If the newbies are on the up and up, then they are certainly welcome. Usually the jerks disappear or eventually get banned. :D

No offense is meant, but when a slew of newbies start talking about being obssessed with a performer whose relevancy is mainly in the past, and there's no new exposure, or no current airings of the PF anywhere to be found to bring new people into the "fold", it just makes you go, "Hmmmm." Laughing

We had a bunch of newbies sign up when "In Search of The Partridge Family" and "Ruby and the Rockits" aired and that made sense because there was something new going on that brought them here with a Google search. But lately, other than DC being a jerk at an autograph show and driving drunk with an open bottle, he's been relatively quiet. Very Happy
singmedavid
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining Britfan and Scott. I do appreciate that.

OK, I think my imagination just kicked in and I can see certain very precarious situations arising. Like people looking for kicks (of an adult nature), or pedophiles. Is that what you're getting at Britfan?

I still think it is all plausible but I'm not going to go into it any further here. As far as being careful with them, I wouldn't be surprised if there is not that much participation to be careful with based on my experiences elsewhere. There are limits to how much we can relate to each other's generations on a social level anyway.
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's not really what I'm getting at. I dont see anything malicious, they could be genuine or just mis-guided fans.

I was merely saying that if mature fans and alleged minors discuss David Cassidy's hotness it has to be handled very sensitively so that certain moral lines are not crossed since they are effectively children.

I dont really want to keep this area of debate going. Let's draw a line under it, I dont wish to comment further.
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I just can't imagine being such a pathetic human being by getting the jollies by imitating a fan, just to be a jerk. Maybe those who do that sort of thing feel 'better than' those who show harmless affection for a person they don't know and admire. It's sad that they can't find something better to do with themselves. Puts me in mind of the boy who jumps in the mud puddle to dirty a girls dress when he in fact is knee deep in muck. Stupid really.

As far as young fans liking an 'old' guy. Well, when I saw DC a couple of years ago. A 20 year old (told him her age) sat at his alter worshipping. She wore a DC sweatshirt she'd made herself. He put his hands on he shoulders and turned her around so he could see the whole shirt, and let me tell you she was in 7th heaven.

Speaking for myself, many of you know I'm a big Sinatra fan. Well I went for him when I was about 35 and he was about 79. Trust me, If I got a change to worship at his alter I would have!! I did see him once, but i couldn't get close Sad
Mrs Keith Partridge
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britfan wrote:
Okay I'll try to explain.

If the new members are genuine:
If these 'girls' had stated how they came across DC and thought how dreamy he USED to look when he was YOUNGER that may have been more believable. Are you seriously suggesting that it is perfectly normal for say 12 - 16 year olds to regard someone of 60 as 'dreamy'? It is not very normal at all and should raise concern.

I'm going to have to disagree to an amazingly large degree. I am 15 and actually my favorite "David Era" was his early 90s, not his younger self. One of the other many celebrities i adore is Lindsey Buckingham. A year older than David. I find it perfectly normal and actually gives me a sense of being unique. I find these men attractive not only physically, but their personalities and just the fact that they are musicians is very appealing to me.

Go ahead and think what you want, but this teenager will always be here to say that she thinks older men are INCREDIBLY attractive. Cool

singmedavid
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Keith Partridge, that was eloquently put and stated with grace, especially considering the caution exhibited here by the more mature fans. At your young age, it's quite remarkable that you are undaunted enough to reply! Hopefully, by reading the concerns we've all raised and the ways in which this board has been abused in the past you can understand the hesitation to take your enthusiasm and that of the other young new posters as genuine. And I swear, if you are not legit, I will feel like an ass for responding and I will hunt you down. LOL! Just kidding about the second part. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Cast! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: