[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

The clothing in the show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBops
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: The clothing in the show Reply with quote

Hi, since I was born in 1971 and don't remember the early 70s, I have a question that I hope someone can chime in on. In many scenes, and not just with the normal characters on the show, people seem "overdressed" by today's standards. For example, Reuben will come over not in jeans and a T shirt, but in brown pants and button down shirt. Today that would be considered "business casual". Oftentimes he is in a suit or at least shirt and tie. Shirley is also usually overdressed, sometimes just sitting around the house. In other scenes, like at a PF concert or just walking around the park, people seem overdressed as well.

Did society dress like that back in the early 70s? I have no doubt that people today dress sloppier than they used to, but not sure as to the extent of it. I think we are doomed too as the younger generation is horrible. I can't stand going into my local Meijer's late at night (department store chain in Michigan that is open 24x7) and seeing a youngster dressed in their pajamas! Drives me nuts.
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we did dress up at bit more in the 70's.

Not as much as on the show, but we/I do dress down a bit more now then in the day. Smile

In the 70' s is when the pantsuit just started to come in to vogue, but it was still not considered acceptable for work or church. Even though miniskirts were the rage, they still wore skirts. My school uniform was a jumper and I remember my Mom buyng me little dresses for Kindergarten in the public school. Of course, my Mom always wore a skirt/dress and stockings when leaving the house. ( she didn't wear a dress while doing her housework like June Cleaver though., she wore shorts in the summer at home, but never out unless we are on vacation)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: