[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Beau apparently has quit college to do his band
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Beau apparently has quit college to do his band Reply with quote

He has a band called Beau Cassidy and The Sundance Kids and his mom posted on Facebook that he has left Boston University to focus on his band, and that now he is the music business.

Have to say I am on the fence when I hear a kid leaving college education for showbiz. BU is a very good college too.
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but I say he should complete college.
Never know when you'll need that.

Darryl
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scanned quickly, but didn't see where it said he left school -- just that he has a band called Beau Cassidy and the Sundance Kids. What surprised me was this: Beau is divorced?
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the exact quote about him leaving BU?
Sorry they're not in my Facebook group.

Darryl
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is on Sue Shifrins Facebook page. She wrote in answer to another person's message to her on her wall:

Sue Shifrin- Cassidy THANK YOU, BEKI!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Hope you are all well! Beau left BU last week to follow his vision and realize his dream! He is now in the music biz!Love to you and Carrie!

Last edited by PazJD on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I scanned quickly, but didn't see where it said he left school -- just that he has a band called Beau Cassidy and the Sundance Kids. What surprised me was this: Beau is divorced?

Maybe he means divorced from college?

There is now a FB page for the band name.

Last edited by PazJD on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greely Winger wrote:
Just my opinion, but I say he should complete college.
Never know when you'll need that.

Darryl

I agree. Bands are so "iffy" today. Look at some of the A.I. winners, who have not had the careers they envisioned.

I mentioned to some non-fan friends of mine who have kids in college and they said they would not advise their kids to do this, but rather to finish college and do the band while attending college as a side thing until graduation. One said she would not cheer such a decision by her kid, esp when they would be losing the tuition!

There was an article in the NY paper today about Vanilla Ice's new TV show. He was big and then not, but he had his skill of building and construction to go into fixing houses and now that is his business.
Gotta have a cushion to fall on. Don't follow a dream without a net.

I think I am sad to hear this because I have a 17 yr old nephew who plays classical violin and also plays guitar with friends in hobby band but he is also a math whiz and goes to a H.S. that focuses on math more, along with regular subjects, and he will continue this course in the college he will attend. I know I would hate if he chose to quit school for a band. He and his buds call their band Optimism Lives In Bermuda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhcQ0YpSy34
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the divorce thing is 19 year old humor. Sue admits she and David were against it at first. I guess what can they do? They can't make him stay. I live in Boston and will say there are 16153745 bands here. It will not be easy. I fear a 19 year old may not realize that, no matter what his show business savvy family might tell him. But then, that may be the good thing about being 19. All your dreams seem possible.
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Beau is now 19 and no longer in college, it might be good for his parents to really let him support himself financially now and have him stand or fall on his own decisions & actions. If it gets to really dire times then maybe lend a hand, but they are not really responsible for him after 18, unless he continues in school. He has his own apartment now so he's on his own.
Like how Soc Soc works for a widow or widowers kids, if they continue in school they are covered by deceased parents soc sec. Once they leave school and on their own, coverage stops.

I'm curious is his other band mates also dropped out of Berkley School of Music and BU - if yes then they were not wise either. esp if they left Berkley.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're going to be wild and crazy and reckless and carefree, I say do it at 19 rather than later in life when you have people depending on you. College will always be there if he wants to go back. Perhaps he took a leave of absence so the door could be open to return. Very Happy
carolann
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just guessing that the argument fall flat for Beau since he knows that his Father was living away from home at the same age.
Katie was also successful at a young age.

I am also guessing, I am not sure, that the reason that David's agent wanted him to take the job on the Partridge Family was so that David would have a steady income to pay the rent.

I wish Beau luck. I also hopes they give him a good money manager.
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that-the Katie thing. She was fortunate, and talented, so her career got off the ground while she was young and she is doing well. Rememeber though, Katie tried to become a Britney type star when she was a young teen. That was even more ill advised I feel. Beau is a young adult. If he wants to do this now it is the time, as Scott says. I do agree, BP, he should be paying his own way as much as a 19 year old kid can.
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie took the college prep courses and SATS and was planning to go to college, but then she got a movie role and decided to postpone college for a year. But then another movie role came during that time and TV work, etc to where she is now. So she never got to go, but at least didn't drop out with tuition having just been paid, and now lost for parents. I feel he may need to realize value of $ & hope he does as he begins the band road.
carolann
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That part that I feel bad about is the fact that he actually got his own apartment and his college tuition being paid for and then he drops out a month later.

I get the feeling he probably grew up kind of overprotected and those are the type of kids that when they go away to college, they want to spread their wings.

I know that David didn't initally support Katie in her career and it caused some estrangement. She eventually found her way and became successful.
Maybe that kind of thinking is going on with his parents?

They can only indulge him with support for so long because it is a rough world out there.
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy from Boston wrote:
I think the divorce thing is 19 year old humor. Sue admits she and David were against it at first. I guess what can they do? They can't make him stay. I live in Boston and will say there are 16153745 bands here. It will not be easy. I fear a 19 year old may not realize that, no matter what his show business savvy family might tell him. But then, that may be the good thing about being 19. All your dreams seem possible.

Amy, maybe if you see the band name in any gig listings in Boston you can check the band out and see what is what.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: