[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

partridge family : a "girl" thing ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alain m. bergeron
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: partridge family : a "girl" thing ??? Reply with quote

when I was a young teenage boy, a looooong time ago, when the original episodes of our favorite family were aired, I guess I was the only guy (among my friends) who really loved the Partridge Family (and David Cassidy solo efforts). The interest for the PF came mainly from the girls I knew. I was not a "fan in the closet". I wore my DC or PF t-shirt with great pride. But, like I said, I was pretty much by myself on that matter. That's why I thought at the time that the Partridge Family was aimed at the young girls (because David, of course). I, for one, was in love with Shirley Jones (I was 14 or 15 at the time; seems I had this thing for older women; today, I'm over 50 and I still love Shirley who's now younger than me!!! Seems I have this thing for younger woman...)
If I wanted to talk to someone about the last episode or the new record, I had to speak with a girl (a good point to meet girls, should I mention)
I believed it for years until I began reading the posts on this board. I found out that are guys who liked the PF as much as me even at that time : Scott, who's the master of the PF world, Gord, from Canada, and others. It was a revelation for me, thinking I was the only guy enjoying PF music and television serie.
So I was wondering what do you guys think : is the Partridge Family a "girl thing" ?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PF didn't start out as a girl thing. It was a good family show with dynamite music. It started skewing towards the females when David Cassidy became a larger-than-life teen idol, worshiped by (primarily) girls -- and that was NOT a cool thing to be associated with if you were a boy. I remember getting ribbed because I was using my book cover from "Up To Date" on my Math book and took it off immediately. Laughing Kids didn't separate liking the cool music for liking the uncool David Cassidy so there's no way you could be a fan if you were a boy. It didn't help that a lot of the merchandise was geared for girls either. You had Love Beads, fan club kits, dolls, paper dolls, etc. I don't recall ever seeing a Partridge Family Army Tank or Papago Indian Bow and Arrow set. Laughing
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I was in high school '70-72 during PF's first couple of years, I had the PF bookcover from the lp on one of my books which boys in my classes thought was humorous and would do the "oh David I love you" in girl voice & kisses to irk me. So there ya go. They would say Susan was cute but don't know if they watched the show or not.
Canadian Reg
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in grade 6 when the first album (and tv show) came out. I was the cool one in the class cause I HAD the PF album. We used to play during work periods and even my teacher (a woman!! probably swooning over DC) borrowed my album a few nights. Though I was able to talk PF with my friends, not many boys were interested in PF/DC... though I had a friend who was into Donny Osmond.... and we always had the debate who was better : DC or DO !
Ken Netzel
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just found the Shirley Jones website, which is under construction and I guess run by her husband, and sent her a love letter...well, not exactly. When the show first aired I had such a crush on Shirley Jones. Where most of my friends were swooning over Susan Dey, I had it bigtime for Shirley. So there are a lot of things in that show that appeals to guys too. Face it, the comedy of Rubin, The comedy TEAM of Danny and Rubin, even Keith's humore leans towards something a guy understands, not to mention two very attractive ladies...Susan and Shirley. Bonnie Clineschmidt wasn't bad to look at either. So yes, there was the David Cassidy teeny bobber idol thing, but I knew a lot of my guy friends who watched the show for it's comic value. I just got the DVD's myself and I'm a guy. Good comedy is just that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: