[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Phantom of the Opera Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mishwhocannotlogon
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Phantom of the Opera Questions Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes I'm almost embarassed to say that today was the first time I've ever seen or heard any of the POA. I ordered it on Direct TV PPV. HAs anyone out there actually seen the musical live? If so how does it differ from the movie? Do they use real animals? I've watched it at least two times today (bought the all day ticket) and am still confused about the ending. At the auction house, the auctioneer mentions the "tradgedy" at the opera house. I assumed the tradgedy meant ,either the hero or the heroine had benn killed or at least the antagonist runs away with the heroine, howhever, the way I'm understanding none died. The Phantom got away, as the final scene with his rose at the grave, proves. So apparently the tradgedy was other people were trapped and died? Perhaps Mimmi Driver's character? Finally, how could this guy get out of the underwater peril to only fall (quite lamely) for the phantom's tie up deal at the end?? Question Question
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried watching it on DVD, but lost interest. The B'way show doesn't use animals.. like all movies, they expand the scope b/c they can. (I just saw Steel Magnolias on B'way.. it's all in one room - the beauty shop - no men - and many things that were depicted in the film are merely talked about in the play). I always thought the tragedy was the chandelier falling and killing a lot of the people in the opera house, and burning it. I gathered that the house was closed after that night. That's about all I can do to help w/ the play.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't even compare the film with the stage play. The film was such a bore. They expanded by adding dialogue not found on stage, and created a Phantom that was neither scarey or alluring. What draws Christine to the Phantom is his music. It mesmerizes her. She's not supposed to be drawn to him physically. The Phantom is supposed to be a hideously deformed man -- not some matinee idol they tried to depicted in the film. It's supposed to be somewhat of a horror story, and the film totally missed the mark. The voices weren't anywhere near what they should have been. As with "Evita", Hollywood ruined another Broadway masterpiece. I'm cringing at the thought of what Hollywood will do with "Hairspray". I've heard rumours of John Travolta playing the mother. That would be most unfortunate casting. Sad
LisaF63
Reuben's Client
Reuben's Client

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[edit

Last edited by LisaF63 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa - yes, there is going to be a new Hairspray based on the musical, which was based on the movie. Go know. Sort of like The Producers musical was based on the movie, and is now going to be a new movie based on the musical. LOL

Scott, I agree that JT as Edna would be unfortunate. I hope they go another direction - like Harvey or some such.

I'm just kicking back waiting to see what happens with Sunset Blvd.. again a proposed musical movie based on the play, that was based on the movie. 8-[

And I can't wait for RENT. Being slightly deprived, I've never seen the play.
Naomi Ledbetter
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Phantom Reply with quote

I saw the Phantom on stage two weeks ago. It was the Broadway Across America production and it was excellent. I had never seen it on stage and it was better than I even thought it would be. The guy who was Raoul on Broadway for a long time played the Phantom and he was awesome. If this ever comes to a city near you.... I highly recommend it.

As for Rent, I am really looking forward to this on flim as well. I hope they do it justice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: