[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

C'Mon Get Happy:The Partridge Family Story on ABC Family
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Partridge Family News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why I'm putting myself through it, but I'm watching both movies today. I watched David's first. I'm watching Danny's now. The scene where they are watching the first episode...which opens with "Come On Get Happy" as the opening credits! Yikes!

I can understand David's being filled with holes in logic, because he's far too self-absorbed to remember details correctly, but Danny should be rightfully ashamed of this movie. The continuity problems are laughable, and even casual viewers would notice the inconsistencies. Fortunately, I have enough alcohol onhand to make watching the rest of this bearable. Wink
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One glaring error I notice from the movie--as well as in Danny's interview on this site--is that there's a claim that Joe Bonaduce wrote for All In The Family, when the fact is he is not credited with writing a single episode of that show.
cat
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVGord wrote:
One glaring error I notice from the movie--as well as in Danny's interview on this site--is that there's a claim that Joe Bonaduce wrote for All In The Family, when the fact is he is not credited with writing a single episode of that show.

I went to Dannybonaduce.net and Danny credits his father with Norman Lear projects.
When Danny talks to Valerie Bertinelli, he often talks about his father being a writer for her show.

Quote:
He is the son of veteran TV writer/producer Joseph Bonaduce (One Day At A Time, Good Times)

Danny had no control over his TV movie and just requested that whoever made the movie to be sympathetic to his mother.
I am pretty sure Danny is not all that proud of it. Maybe I will write him to get his views on the matter.

From looking at the "People and Places' interviews from the cast, most people had problems with David's movie.
Now David did have control over his movie. David exploits facts in his life and has no apparent shame or guilt over it.
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying he wrote for All In The Family is a lie. If I had been a writer for that show, I'd have been pretty ticked off that someone had been lying about his father working on one of the most influential sitcoms of all time.

And as I pointed out, it wasn't just the movie (over which he may not have had much control, despite his title of 'consulting producer'). In the interview on this site, he definitely tries to leave the impression that his father wrote for the show. ("I was on American Bandstand and they asked how I felt about being switched to Saturday nights and I said,
cat
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVGord wrote:

David's movie is bad, too (especially glossing more than a decade from 1976 to 1987), but they are both horrible in terms of accuracy. There are inconsistencies and inaccuracies riddled throughout both movies. Why bother, if they are barely going to resemble the truth?

I have to email Danny about his father working for 'All in the Family'. Joe might have gone uncredited until other Norman Lear's shows.
I enjoyed Dave Madden's book but this is not going to be made into a movie because there is not enough dirt.
Nobody has that interesting a life, writers do thing to make things more interesting.
That is why I depend more on unauthorized biographies.
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen both these movies in the past year and I have to say they make the Partridge Family look like Shakespeare in comparison. Both movies seem to portray Susay Dey as a little vacuous whereas I'm sure she was nothing of the kind.

Actually the Partridge Family was a good, decently acted show and I'll never understand why some of the cast lampoon it so much.

As an admirer of DC's music/work, his version was self indulgent and cheesy! Much cheesier than the PF ever could be. I would have liked something more hard hitting and thought provoking. The kind of material he always says he'd like to do! I'm still waiting for him to blow my mind!
cat
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britfan wrote:
As an admirer of DC's music/work, his version was self indulgent and cheesy! Much cheesier than the PF ever could be. I would have liked something more hard hitting and thought provoking. The kind of material he always says he'd like to do! I'm still waiting for him to blow my mind!

I feel this way about a lot of people, so this isn't directed toward any one person.
Some people get rewarded financially for being mediocre.
Why go the extra mile?
As far as DC's movie, it is what it is.
HE had control over it.
LIke Brian Foster (Chris) said," it was one exaggeration after another".
singmedavid
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, this is the movie that made me a gushing David fan. It was very informative for me because I knew NOTHING, even though I was 9 when PF debuted. I didn't see it until last summer no less, even though it came out a decade earlier!

My jaw was on the floor by the end of the movie. So many things (facts) blew me away, but the biggest one was the immense craze that was David Cassidy (WHY???!!!!!) and how dangerous it was for him. I was also incredulous that I missed this craze entirely. I was certainly the "right" age. But instead of watching PF, I was playing outside. I did have a few PF and David albums and liked those a lot but I moved on after awhile. I barely noticed anything about David for decades, until I saw this movie.

After seeing that, I couldn't get on the internet fast enough to see what all the fuss was about. It took me about a minute to figure it out. I've been blown away ever since.

I know this movie is kind of bad, but it will always hold a special place in my heart for its role in leading me to discover David's incredible singing talent and all of his lovely images. WOW!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Partridge Family News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: