[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Partridge Family Christmas Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summerdays71
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Partridge Family Christmas Card Reply with quote

Now that the holiday season is here, I thought it would be a good time to discuss the Partridge Family Christmas Card LP. I imagine this record was gift wrapped and placed under many a christmas tree during christmas of 1971. But to me, overall it's a pretty ordinary christmas album. A few tracks stand out, otherwise the record is nothing special. My favorite track is the opener, the Tony Romeo penned My Christmas Card To You. Other highlights are Rockin Around The Christmas Tree, DC's slow version of Frosty The Snowman, and Sleigh Ride. Shirley Jones sings lead vocal on a couple tracks, The Christmas Song and Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. It's not a bad christmas record but overall it comes off as sounding ordinary. This was around the time the studio was rushing to get the next PF album out, and it starts to show with this LP. I was always disappointed that the 12 Days Of Christmas was not included on this album. I wanted to hear them sing "and a partridge in a pear tree!" Laughing

I think this album would have been better if they had replaced Blue Christmas with Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. And 12 Days Of Christmas should have been included as a 6th track on the "B" side. All the PF albums had 11 songs when there really should have been 12, 6 per side. Wes Farrell the producer wanted fans to think they were getting a bonus track with a 6th song on the "A" side of those LP's. Actually the reverse was true, having only 5 songs on the "B" side was a rip off.

I believe the complete version of Jingle Bells has 3 different verses. But the PF version omits the 3rd verse and when they go to sing the 2nd verse, it is the 1st verse repeated a 2nd time. So thumbs down for that also.

Overall I rate the Partridge Family Christmas Card 2 stars on a scale of 4. What do others think?

Last edited by summerdays71 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Canadian Reg
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. "Christmas Card" is one of my favorite Xmas albums... up there with Clint Black's "Looking for Christmas". Although I agree with you about "Blue Christmas", the rest of the album is great. Surprised by the slow rendition of "Frosty..." but it grew on me. Best tracks (besides "My Christmas card...") : "Santa Claus is coming to town", "Jingle Bells", "Rockin' around the Xmas tree" and "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" (helped by the tv episode in the second last scene).
No overall a excellent Xmas album.
CHEZ
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh that would have been nice to have found this LP under the tree but I don
Brown Eyes
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely disagree summerdays71. The Christmas Card album is one of the Partridge Family's best. It's been played in my Christmas album rotation every year since I first got it when it came out in the early 70's. I'm in my late 40's now, and nothing gets me in the Christmas mood more than listening to this album. I think the harpsicord sound, a staple on the PF albums back then, makes it sound even more Christmasy-er than most Christmas albums. It has that "Ye Old Christmas of Yore" feeling that dates back to victorian days. That, mixed in with the PF's rockin style and lush backround vocals make this album antything but ordinary. My Christmas Card To You is a great way to start the album off and a lovely lyrical sentiment. The slow version of Frosty is unlike any other version of Frosty I've ever heard. It's emotional and beautifully produced. Jingle Bells, Santa Clause Is Coming To Town, Winter Wonderland, and Sleigh Ride are all upbeat, joyous, rocking delights. I dare anyone not to sing along when any of them are played. The Partridge version of White Christmas is melodic and beautiful. Blue Christmas has a bluesy, jazzy feel to it. Finally Shirley's beautiful lead vocals on both The Christmas Song and Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas is the perfect compliment to both classic songs, and a wonderful way to slow the pace of each side of the album to a more quiet and nostalgic mood. For many of us who grew up in that era and with this album, it just wouldn't be Christmas without the Partridge Family Christmas Card.
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE BLUE CHRISTMAS- one of David's best vocals. It's time for him to do his own Christmas CD
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
johnnyt76
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but will he autograph it? Laughing
RonBaker
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if he signs it or not. I don't expect Coldplay to sign every cd I buy by them or even sign after a concert. It still doesn't stop me from playing and enjoying their music.
JH
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PF Christmas album is my all time favorite. It really does get you in the Christmas spirit. The "christmas card to you" song is never heard on the radio, and I beleive should be a classic xmas song, along with the other great timeless xmas classics! I am going to start requesting it on our local radio stations here in New York. I also would like to urge all PF fans to do the same, request this song in your area and maybe it could be come that classic xmas song.
pee-wee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that this album is a real Partridge Family vocal group effort, not just the usual Cassidy lead on every song.
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think this album would have been better if they had replaced Blue Christmas with Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer.

I always thought that "Blue Christmas" was put in on purpose by the record company because of the comparisons at that time between Elvis and David's popularity. David was presented as the second Elvis in terms of fans and hysteria. And of course they wore similar jumpsuits in their 70's concerts.
I was not surprised that they had David sing one of Elvis' songs, it was sort of like, how could they NOT? It was too obvious to not do it.

I like "My Christmas Card To You" wish that became more a standard Xmas song on the radio and in general, since it was a new one.
I like this lp a lot, but my favorite Christmas ones include
the Osmonds (just because of the harmonies), Garth Brooks, and A Rock n Roll Christmas put out by Polygram in 1994
Favorite Xmas songs are: Billy Squier "Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love You", Wham's "Last Christmas", Elton's "Step Into Christmas", McCartney's, "Wonderful Christmastime", Harrison's "Ring Out The Old Ring In The New". But my ABSOLUTE favorite Christmas song is "The Carol of The Bells"!
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always sing the updated version of Last Christmas;

Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day, you sold it on eBay! Laughing
RonBaker
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Christmas song is "We Should Be Together" by Cliff Richard. There are many David connections to Cliff, too!
summerdays71
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PazJD wrote:

I always thought that "Blue Christmas" was put in on purpose by the record company because of the comparisons at that time between Elvis and David's popularity. David was presented as the second Elvis in terms of fans and hysteria. And of course they wore similar jumpsuits in their 70's concerts.
I was not surprised that they had David sing one of Elvis' songs, it was sort of like, how could they NOT? It was too obvious to not do it.

I agree there's an obvious Elvis Presley connection with the inclusion of Blue Christmas on the album. It's not one of my favorite christmas songs, no matter who sings it.

As I mentioned in my previous post, to me the Christmas Card LP is OK but I think it could have been better. A few tracks stand out but overall it's an average christmas album. I believe the songs for the album were recorded in August of '71. So they probably rushed it into production to have it ready for the holiday season. I've always considered the Christmas Card LP as the start of the Partridge Family decline. The studio wanted to capitalize on the Partridge fame and there was pressure to get the next album completed and in the stores. Eventually the quality of the songs began to suffer, it started with the christmas album, continued with Shopping Bag and so on down the line.
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song by the late George Harrison is called "Ding Dong, Ding Dong" NOT "ring out the old ring in the new".
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nice thing happen regarding this album. A few days ago a friend of mine who is an 'embarrassed' original fan, called up and asked, 'Do you have the PF Christmas Album?' 'Of course' I answered. 'I must borrow it for a cookie decorating party I'm going to!" Once a fan, always a fan wether you want to admit it or not.

I seem to recall reading in the 'archives' that DC was sick with the flu while recording this record. It shows, actually, because he can't reach his usual bell like high notes. On Blue Christmas, you can practically feel him sweating. He said, as I recall, that he liked the way his voice sounded, raspy and lowish. Maybe that's why when he kicked Keith to the curb, be began singing more from his throat, for that rougher sound. Interesting huh?

But can you imagine having to sing with thorn up flu throat? Ugh! Trooper.

Off topic a bit, but does anyone know what DC's vocal range is/was? So many stupid questions he's been asked, but I've never heard anyone ask him this one which is actually relevant (as Laurie might say.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: