[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #16: Old Scrapmouth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Episode #16: Old Scrapmouth Reply with quote

Old Scrapmouth
Written by James Henerson • Directed by Herb Kenwith • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: January 15, 1971

Mum's the word with Laurie when she becomes "hung up" with dental braces and a baffled boyfriend!
Guest Cast: Alan Oppenheimer, Jonathan Daly, Mark Hamill, Bill Wintersole, Gordon Jump

Song:
"The Love Song," music and lyrics by Steve Dossick (Unreleased on commercial LP)

Tube Trivia:
• Alan Oppenheimer is best known for playing Dr. Rudy Wells on "The Six Million Dollar Man." He also appeared in Episodes 70 and 87.
• Jonathan Daly also appeared in Episode 4.
• Mark Hamill is best known for playing Luke Skywalker in "Star Wars." He has also lent his voice to the animated cartoons, "Jeannie" and "Batman," among others.
• William Wintersole also appeared in Episode 1.
• A fire on the Columbia Ranch backlot destroyed the Partridge Family home facade in August, 1970, necessitating scenes to be diverted from the burnt out set. If you look closely at the reflections in the bus windows while Laurie and her boyfriend are talking outside, you'll see the missing home!
• Watch closely when the Partridges are about to sing "The Love Song." You'll notice Keith got a hair cut between commercials!

Last edited by Scott on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:52 am; edited 9 times in total
Topanga
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this episode there was a hint of Jeremy being a bratty kid. In the tag at the end of the show when the three kids (Danny, Chris and Tracy) are having milk and cookies, when the scene cuts to Danny stepping forward and delivering his line you can see Jeremy pulling a cookie out of Suzanne's hand.
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh braces. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to list all the sitcoms that used braces for a topic. And of course who can forget the "Gilligan's Island" where Gilligan's mouth picked up radio signals? But I digress, this is about our favorite family...

How nice to see Laurie get the focus in this episode and Susan pulls it off very well. Shirley getting to spend some mother-daughter time with her was nice to see as well.

Mark Hamill as the clutzy boyfriend was fun (before he took off for Galaxies far, far away) and Rueben and Danny having the same idea about the brightside of braces was clever writing. Wink was appropriately arrogant but forceful adding to the comedy of it all.

The "Love Song" is good and I still hope to one day have an official release with it on it.

A good episode (but I would be hard pressed to name a bad one).

Jeff
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braces are a common topic, but I do like how they at least explained at the end why they didn't want to put Susan Dey in braces in every show for the rest of the season (6 months). They weren't doing " Ugly Betty".

Of course, we never see the retainer during the next 2 years, but very few episodes were done with after bed time scenes so not really a fair nitpick.

It is fun seeing them washing the bus. Hearkens back to the painting scene in the pilot and of course, as previously noted Mark Hamil in a pre Star Wars role is a fun thing.
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing Laurie suck soup through a straw reminds me of the old horror movie, The Fly. He did that, too (except he didn't use a straw). I can't remember whether I'm thinking of the Vincent Price version or the Jeff Goldblum version.

Shirley: "You can't just stop talking. Women aren't built that way!" Whoo. That would be a politically charged line these days, wouldn't it?

Some random thoughts: Laurie should have converted to the Muslim faith, and she could have covered her face for six months. It sure is lucky they invited their dentist over for The Wink Burgess Show.

I had a "brush with greatness" with Mark Hamel. I once merged into a lane entering the Lincoln Tunnel in New York City about ten years ago, and the driver who let me in was Mark Hamel. (I told everyone back home that I cut Luke Skywalker in traffic!)

Topango, thanks for catching that moment between Chris and Tracy. Quite funny. It looked like one of the more natural interactions between siblings on this show! I wonder if they planned it or if it was indeed a sign of Jeremy's brattiness!
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the line...

Wink Burgess- (handing Dr. Kessler an autographed photo of himself) “Put this over your heart…it prevents warts.” Laughing

Laurie is supposed to wear the retainer for 2 years, but we see her in other episodes at night without it.

Tracy carries Simone, yet in ep.#8 (But Th Memory Lingers On) Laurie almost drops her.

Reuben says “Will” Burgess, Its Wink.

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: