[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #27: In 25 Words Or Less

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Episode #27: In 25 Words Or Less Reply with quote

In 25 Words Or Less
Written by Martin Ragaway Directed by Richard kinon Produced by Larry Rosen
Original Air Date: September 24, 1971

Reuben stages a contest and the winner is granted a week with the Partridge Family. Little did he know the winner would be a 60-years old Jewish mother!
Guest Cast: Kay Medford, Gerald Hiken, Monie Ellis, Martin Speer, Dennis Lee Smith, Scott McCarter

Song:
"Echo Valley 2-6809," music and lyrics by Rupert Holmes and Kathy Cooper (on The Partridge Family Sound Magazine)

Tube Trivia:
Bernie Applebaun returns in Episode 63, again played by Gerald Hiken.
Kay Medford was a regular on "To Rome With Love," "The Dean Martin Show," and starred as Mrs. Brice in "Funny Girl" on Broadway and in the motion picture with Barbra Streisand.
Martin Speer also played the Recording Engineer in Episodes 31 and 34 and as Lazaar Hannibal in Episode 74.
"Echo Valley 2-6809" was the intended second single from Sound Magazine, but was overshadowed by David Cassidy's first solo single, "Cherish." While the song was billed as being written by Rupert Holmes and Kathy Cooper, it was actually written by Rupert and Ted Cooper, who asked to have his wife credited instead.
Life imitates art, as an actual contest was created for one lucky winner to spend a week in Hollywood with the Partridges. Click here for details: http://www.cmongethappy.com/eguide/smilecontest.htm

Last edited by Scott on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catching up here folks, have a brief break in the 4th of July insanity.

Mrs. Neugast reminds of the later portrayal of Rhoda's mother by Nancy Walker.

Of course, she is way to helpful, but I have to wonder exactly what she wrote that got her to win the contest, since you would think that the magazine company would know its demographics and be able to tell what kind of person was writing and select the letter appropirately.

Of course, I know that would kill the plot and so I'll still write if off as being to jaded and nitpicky.
However, this episode does play into all the stereotypes, especially the matchmaking with the doctor.

I think there is a good message here though, about remembering that older people still can be useful and productive and I like that the family found her a job and could be happy.

Of course, one of the funniest scenes is at the recording studio where she is making noise with her bags and being "helpful" and the engineer says about the nice raisin lady coming into the nice control room and of course, that they ended up with 73 takes Very Happy

Til next week keep being happy!
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite episodes from the second season! Very Happy

I especially love the scene where Keith is seated atop his bed clearly enjoying the centerfold of the ONLY mens' magazine Embarassed the show seemed to have -- and Mrs. Neugast burst in on him, poor guy, forcing him to scramble across the room in effort to hide it. That he eventually wound up taking her to Muldoon's Point (after they've both agreed this would, indeed, be ridiculous) is always HILARIOUS ("Keith is a good boy!"/"Now all you kids play nice!")! Laughing Laughing Laughing

And, of course, I just love ANY scene of the entire series that finds our favorite family in the recording studio, which is always WAY COOL IMHO!!! Surprised

GREAT episode overall! Wink
CHEZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favourite episodes too! In particular whilst they kept trying to record Echo Valley 2-6809 at the recording studio ! Smile
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm catching up too. I went on a PF marathon last night, after fireworks, and laughed my head off.
Somehow these shows get funnier with multiple viewings. How often does that happen, I ask you?
I'm a big fan of that single 'play pen' magazine that shows up in how many episodes? In the one about Keith flunking sex ed, you can see the inside briefly, I think it's really a New Yorker Magazine with the fold out taped in. If I could have a keep sake from the show I think it might be that Play Pen. Or maybe Keith's Jimmy Hendrix poster...I wonder if that is who he is listening to, when he isn't helping Shirley clean the house. Like I said I was on a marathon, so I can't remember which episode it is, when Shirley is cleaning, Keith is wearing ear phones, and Danny is goofing around. Keith helpfully says to her, something like, 'If you wouldn't spend so much time cleaning all the time, you wouldn't be so tired.' Cracked me up, big time.
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes it totally amazes me that I can laugh so hard at a show that is over 35 years old now. The scene with Keith and Mrs. Newgast at Muldoon's point was hilarious. Note! the girl who played Keith's girl friend (Monnie Ellis) who was also at Muldoons Point also starred in a televsion moive around this same time called "Gidget gets Married" which also starred another Partrige Family guest..... Michael Burns.

Dean-o
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny what becomes politically incorrect over time. When Mrs. Neugast is first introduced, the generic "Jewish" music was startling. Oh, she's Jewish??? Thanks for pointing that out, incidental music! Laughing What, they couldn't get the clearances for Hava Nagila?

I just imdb'd Kay Medford and it says she always got a kick out of being cast as a "typical Jewish mother" type, especially since she was actually a devout Catholic! Classic!

Poor Keith. They played him has such a stooge. It took long enough for him to figure out that his girl, Doris (not Dora???), was at Muldoon's point with another guy! What a thankless role he had, at times.

Some nice variations in the version of Echo Valley 2-6809 on this episode. Wouldn't it be nice someday to hear all of the versions that were recorded.
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to this one too.

I liked this one a lot. Kay Medford is so sweet and so full of good intentions... The Jewish doctor bit was a bit contrived, but it is so nice to see how the Partridges cared about Mrs. Newgast even when she started to drive them crazy. The recording studio scene was very funny and I was always enamored with what it would be like to record in a real studio like that. The actor who plays the engineer (is several episodes, I believe) is really fun and understated.

"Echo Valley 2-6809" (by a pre-Pina Colada Rupert Holmes) is a good song (also recorded by Wayne Newton among others at about that time) and a perfect addition to a terrific half hour.

Jeff
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: