[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #25: A Knight In Shining Armor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Episode #25: A Knight In Shining Armor Reply with quote

A Knight In Shining Armor
Written by Bernard Slade • Directed by Earl Bellamy • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: March 19, 1971

The Partridges return from a singing engagement, and find songwriter Bobby Conway living in their garage!
Guest Cast: Bobby Sherman, Wes Stern

Song:
"Stephanie," music and lyrics by Richard Klien, John Henning and David Price (Bobby Sherman's version is unreleased on commercial LP; The Partridge Family's version can be heard on the CD, Come On Get Happy: The Very Best of The Partridge Family.)

Tube Trivia:
• This episode was the pilot for the series, "Getting Together." Created and written by Bernard Slade, it aired on ABC from September 18, 1971 to January 8, 1972. It also starred Pat Carroll, Jack Burns and Susan Neher. Bernard Slade also wrote Episodes 1, 3, 5, 8, 13, 17, 36, and 38. To read our exclusive interview with Bernard Slade, visit the People and Places section of the website!
• This is Jeremy Gelbwak's last episode. Brian Forster takes over the role of Chris Partridge beginning in September. To read Jeremy's goodbye letter, published in Tiger Beat's PF magazine, click here: http://www.cmongethappy.com/eguide/byejeremy.jpg
• "Stephanie" is the same song as "All Of The Things" (Episode 9) but with different lyrics. Bobby Sherman starts off singing the song, as the scene segues into the Partridge Family performing it on stage. Complete versions exist of the song, although it has never been released on a commercial LP.
• During the summer hiatus, "I'll Meet You Halfway" was released. It was The Partridge Family's third single, peaking at #9 in June, 1971. At first, Wes Farrell had considered releasing "Morning Rider On The Road" instead (a song Tony Romeo had originally written for Glen Campbell). Strangely, "Morning Rider On The Road" was never used in an episode.
• While the series was on hiatus, Wes Farrell and the Partridge Family musicians and singers reunite in the studio to start working on songs for "Sound Magazine." The album is released in July. It hits #9 on the charts in September. In August, they start working on "A Partridge Family Christmas Card."
• "I Woke Up In Love This Morning" was the Partridge Family's fourth hit single, rising to #13 on the Billboard charts, on August 21, 1971.
• By the end of the first season, the series was a bonafide hit, record albums were racking up incredible sales, and a truck load of Partridge Family product began flooding the store shelves. Tiger Beat magazine began publishing the "Official Partridge Family Magazine" and David Cassidy became the nation's #1 teen idol. This was just the beginning of an incredible four-year ride!

Last edited by Scott on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun episode and the pilot for what I thought was a cute series.

I wonder if Sony left the tag off of this on the DVD's because it is a lead in to the Getting Together series and they have no plans to release it?

I wish they would. I liked Bobby Sherman in the day almost as much as David Cassidy.

The biggest continuity error is in the "Stephanie" song since the melody is the same as "all of the Things" heard earlier in the season there is no way that Bobby Conaway could have written in basically he plagarized Keith Partridge. Sloppy on the writier's part since there are plenty of tunes that were not used that could have been introduced here instead.

I can't believe that we are already through the fiirst season of watching, It's been fun and hope to enjoy sharing second season with you all just as much.
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! Season one is over all ready...... I love watching one episode each week and then reading the comments in this section. uh! do we have to wait until September for Season Two to start?.......lol

I would love it if the series Getting Togeather were available to watch..... maybe someday on the web like on Hulu or something like that.

Dean -o
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my least favorite episode of the first season but not because I didn't like it... it's just that the focus was on Bobby and Wes and not on our favorite family. The set up of a burglar who is really a musician and just wants to get the family to listen to some of his songs was fine, but I find that as I watch the episode now, what I really wonder is how Bobby and David got along.... both being teen idols and all....

I think it is really interesting to also wonder why the producers felt they should take another crack at the song with new lyrics...? I have to admit I do like the Stephanie lyrics better...

Not a bad episode, but I would have liked more focus on the Partridges as the season ended (of course they really didn't do cliff-hangers back then for sit-coms)...

Good show, great season and I was hooked for the duration!!!

Jeff
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the music starts, the Glen Glenn Sound shouts out "ONE or WHAT" when the knight in shining armor (Wes Stern) comes out!! Laughing I was laughing when Wes said "Turn on stove"! Laughing
GeoffB40
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, here in Australia only the first two seasons of the show have been released at this stage and it looks as though that could be it. (and don't worry I already imported Seasons 3 and 4)!

However, whilst the packaging and artwork is replicated by Sony for release here, we DID actually get the tag segment that was edited out for you Statesiders. It is defintitely intact on our version.
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tube Trivia synopsis says Lionel (or is that Llionel?) lives in Denver, but that's never specified in the episode. I wonder where that came from?

I loved this episode even before I realized it was a pilot for a spinoff. So many of the first-season episodes focused on other characters and situations. Looking back, I think The Red Woodloe Story and Soul Club (and even Road Song) could both have been possible spinoff ideas. I've always been a spinoff fanatic, so the thought that they were spinning off something from the PF was quite exciting to me when I realized that's what was happening. I remember seeing the first promo for Getting Together and being almost speechless. "Hey! Those are the guys from The Partridge Family!!!"

I have to admit, I cheated and watched this episode on the VHS release, "Caution: Nervous Mother Driving", so I could see the tag. Watching it now, I wonder how I could NOT have known they were setting it up as a series of its own. Ah, I was so na
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby steals milk in the opening scene (we only see his feet). He tells the family he was going to record some tapes and leave them, because they were away. When the family is awaken by loud music, they investigate. On their way out to the garage they pass by the bus.If Bobby was ‘living in their garage’ didn’t hear here them pull up? Even if he wasn’t nearby when they got home…he should’ve seen the bus when he got back. It’s hard to miss.

Darryl
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a year since the last post.
Are we moving on to season 2?

Darryl
kate
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: epilogue Reply with quote

I just noticed wikipedia mentions Ep. 25 has an epilogue. "None of the U.S. DVD releases contain the epilogue to episode #25..." Does anyone remember what happened at the end of the original version? I'm curious!

kate
KathySTL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the epilog on a VHS tape.

Basically, the Partridges say goodbye to Bobby and Lionel as they drive off together and Reuben comments about how they are going to be quite a team. or something like that. I think you can find this as a clip on You Tube. also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: