[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

PF Paperbacks Available On Amazon!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Garage: Merchandise & Other Fun Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: PF Paperbacks Available On Amazon! Reply with quote

Hi all: Very Happy

I haven't started collecting them yet myself (still can't seem to decide whether I will or not), but there's a SLEW of 'em currently on Amazon, ranging in price from .58 Very Happy to $349.99 Shocked (for the cookbook, of course)! To all interested parties: HAPPY HUNTING!!! Wink
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the prices seem OK.
I think after #10 they start getting harder to find.
Some of the prices on Amazon are cheap,
but beware the copies marked Used-Acceptable.
These are usually copies in poor condition.
That's why they are marked so cheap.
If you decide to collect these, I would find somebody on ebay that is selling several of these in one lot.

Darryl
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier paperbacks were available through in-school subscription companies, such as Scholastic Books. (Remember bringing in money to order books through the mail via your school teacher?? Laughing) The later paperbacks, from about 14 through (especially) number 17 (the last book) are harder to find and go for more money. There is an eBay user that goes by the name "tvminded" that seems to scour eBay for paperbacks based on TV series. He/she is usually the one that bids the cookbook (which is rare, but not, IMHO, $400.00 rare) up pretty high. Very Happy
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Scott: :D

I surely DO remember the Scholastic Book Service (or whatever its proper name was)! I first became aware of it in 5th Grade (Has it REALLY been 40 years! YIKES!! Shocked ), though I didn't really get into reading till a few years later when "graduating" from comic books: Archie and his gang, Josie and The Pussycats, love stories, and horror tales (the latter of which I must confess I STILL ENJOY!!) to teen magazines! However, I don't recall The Partridge Family books being offered at MY junior high through Scholastic Books; the few I DID manage to collect, I found at book stores. Very Happy

I also couldn't help but notice that among Amazon's PF paperback offerings, they had "Love Comes to Keith Partridge" -- for a MERE $50!!!

As for the PF Cookbook: Well, while I personally have no real interest in owning a copy, I AM intrigured by the reason for its unbelieveably high price! There must be something to it MORE than its despite its rarity: Could it be that it actually reveals the secret recipe for "Reuben Burgers" from Season 1? Wink
partridgepal
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the high price for the Partridge Family Cookbook by Sylvia Resnick, is that it was the last PF paperback to be released (at a whopping 75 cents compared to the others at 60 cents!) and since it was at the end of the series run fewer copies were printed so they are a lot more rare than the others which had higher volume prints. Same with #14 through #17, all which fetch higher prices. The cookbook is actually kind of awful and only for us die-hard fans who need to collect everything....it actually has very little to do with any members of the PF and the recipes are pretty awful. As to the Scholastic book clubs at school, Scott, I remember this! I actually bought th first three paperbacks that way! And then went to the store buying each one as they came out....I used to have every issue of the Official Partridge Family Magazine but sold them years ago, NOW I am kicking myself!!!!!!!

Partridgepal Very Happy
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this dummy (me) threw most his stuff away at one point, too. I mean, I was WAY too cool to like the Partridge Family anymore. After all, my leisure suit and Travolta hair would certainly clash with the bubblegum pop while I was loving to love you, baby, at the Y-M-C-A!!! Laughing

Yes, the fact that the PF books were more widely offered through services like Scholastic, is one of the the reasons their printing runs were higher and therefore, they are less rare. Other than the fact that they were just more popular, as the PF was at it's frenzied height then. Thanks for explaining it better than I did.

Last edited by Scott on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to an eBay auction for the Cookbook. It's at $9.99 right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Partridge-Family-Cookbook-by-Sylvia-Resnick-rare-1973_W0QQitemZ120246109492QQihZ002QQcategoryZ29223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that Scott. Fortunately I already have it.
I like when an ebay seller puts a reasonable price on an item and lets demand set the price.

Darryl
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Darryl: :D

I was just perusing Amazon for PF stuff in general, and happened across a copy of The PF Cookbook. Now, I know that I found $250 a bit STEEP, the CURRENT price nearly knocked me off my seat -- $534.71!!! DOUBLE YIKES & GADZOOKS!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked :shock:

On a happier note, I was able to find BOTH the PF and DC Matchbox labels from that seller in Canada. They make a GREAT addition to my collection. Thanks for the tip. Very Happy

Best to you and Cheng,
Sabrina Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Garage: Merchandise & Other Fun Stuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: