[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!
 
[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Nitpicking PF episodes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training


Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 843
Location: St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I just watched "A Day of Honesty" today at lunch, but I didn't see the fly even though I was watching on a big screen, but Laurie did seem a littel distracted. Now I know why Very Happy
_________________
Kathy in St. Louis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
kate
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter


Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 71
Location: connecticut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a black fly buzzing around and landing on her orange blouse!

I posted this in another thread, but does anyone know why there is a grainy clip in "Danny Drops Out"? It occurs when the family is in the garage and Keith and Susan are explaining to Tracy that she has mixed up the words "typhoon" and "tycoon".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
DavidWagner
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer


Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: "Hellllp" Reply with quote

In the scene where Keith, Danny, and Ruben sneak up to Shirley and Laurie's campsite and steal a can of beans, the guys have blackened their faces with dirt to try to camouflage themselves, but the next morning their faces are clean.

I guess they could have washed off in the river, but that seems doubtful because of the way they were complaining about the cold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 1093
Location: With my wife

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny the things we notice.
I wonder if they dried off with
the socks, handkerchiefs or shorts? Laughing

Darryl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DavidWagner
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer


Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Jodie Foster ep Reply with quote

In the Jodie Foster episode, in the ice cream shop scene, Jodie says something like, "After all, we're not kids anymore," then the waiter arrives holding their ice cream sodas and says, "Here you go, kids," and Jodie gives the waiter a dirty look -- when Jodie gives the dirty look, her ice cream is sitting on the table in front of her, then there is a cut to the waiter who is STILL HOLDING the ice cream, then he sits it on the table.

It must be magic ice cream! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavidWagner
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer


Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a mistake, it's just something that's always bugged me...

In the 3rd season episode where the family is stranded in a remote cabin because of a storm, when the girls go to their bedroom, Tracie calls dibs on the bed, but Shirley takes it for herself. This seems out of character for a mother. Any mother I've ever met would gladly give up her own comfort so her child could sleep in the bed. For that matter, I think any child would rather sleep on the floor, because it would be fun, sort of an adventure. It would have been more realistic if Tracie wanted to sleep on the floor but Shirley made her sleep in the bed. But I guess they weren't going for realism but for comedy.

Also, the body language between brother and sister Keith and Laurie has always been disturbing. I know in real life they were hot for each other (at least Susan was attracted to DC), and it shows clearly on screen. In real life, teen brothers and sisters don't go around hugging each other and putting their arms around each other all the time. In fact, it's the opposite -- brothers and sisters usually try to stay as far from each other as possible.

It reminds me of an episode of "Friends" when a brother and sister were constantly touching each other and ended up making out. Funny! Sick, but funny.

All this is just my opinion, of course.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy


Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 141
Location: On the road

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the brother/sister body language too. At times Laurie is practically sitting in Keith's lap. Once she is leaning against him, when he is sitting on the back of the sofa. Other times he is sleeping on her shoulder. I myself have two brothers. And I can safely say, I never sat that close to either one of them! It is a little 'off', but amusing knowing the back story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenbubblegumkid
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 583

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught something in "Art For Mom's Sake". If you look closely during "I'll Never Get Over You", in I think the first chorus when the shot goes to Susan during "But I Just Can't Do It", she looks like on the word "Do", she's saying a "Be" so it looks like "But I Just Can't Be It". I guess this is really nitpicking but I noticed it right away.

Ken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DavidWagner
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer


Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: random thoughts Reply with quote

These are random things I've noticed. I apologize if someone has mentioned them before.

In the Tony Geary episode, Laurie tells her mother that she and the Tony character (can't remember his name) spent several hours at Muldoon's Point -- just talking. A few episodes later when the group is at Muldoon's Point hiding from the mystery writer, Shirley asks Laurie if she's ever been there, and Laurie replies no, that she doesn't even know where they are (then she slips and calls the place Muldoon's Point).

Of course these episodes might have been broadcast in a different order than they were filmed. It seems MANY of the shows were, judging from hairstyles and haircuts.

In another episode, Laurie mentions getting braces when she was 8. This is just sloppy writing, unless she got braces twice.

The episode where Shirley enters her paintings in an art show has always bothered me. Shirley has always been so sensible, and this episode makes her look like a dummy. The motivation behind her art instructor's encouragement is never explained. More bad writing.

Does anyone know why Ray Bolger didn't play Fred Renfrew in the last season? It's a shame, because he played the role every other year. (Apparently Shirley's mother was a bigamist, married to both Fred and
Walter Renfrew. Brothers?)

Google Alan Bursky if you want to see a recent photo. It's a shame people have to grow old. Seems he was with Freddie Prinze Sr. when Freddie shot himself in the head. I didn't search far, but everything I read about Alan Bursky was negative. Nobody likes him. He must not be a very nice guy.

Brian Forster makes Jeremy Gelbwaks look like Sir Laurence Olivier. (oops, I'm not a nice guy either!)

I believe Suzanne Crough could actually act, had she been given the chance. Her deadpan delivery in season one always cracks me up.

When you watch all 4 seasons in a short period of time, it's really funny to see all the same actors who keep popping up, playing different roles. Gordon Jump should have been given a weekly credit above Brian and Suzanne.

I saw Jackie Earle Haley in the little league episode -- another future Oscar nominee.

I'd completely forgotten that song "Crying in the Rain."

I recently saw Ronne Troup, the girl who played Rickie's sister, in a tv commercial -- playing a grandmother! Boy, do I feel old.

None But the Onely is one of my very favorite episodes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 1093
Location: With my wife

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your observations.
I already knew about the 'Laurie gets braces fiasco', that's been talked about for ages.
Also I knew that Ray Bolger didn't play Fred Renfrew in the last season.
Grandpa was played by Jackie Coogan.
But I had forgotten that the characters had the same last name, but different first name.
Boy sometimes you can't see the obvious clues staring you in the face.
Puts a fresh perspective on it.
As for Laurie saying she's never been to Muldoon's Point...
I find that hard to believe (even if the episodes were filmed in a different order.
I'm gonna Google Alan Bursky, Ronne Troup, Jackie Earle Haley.
Love to hear more of your insights.

Darryl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AtTheEndOfItAll
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 16
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: random thoughts Reply with quote

DavidWagner wrote:
These are random things I've noticed. I apologize if someone has mentioned them before.

In the Tony Geary episode, Laurie tells her mother that she and the Tony character (can't remember his name) spent several hours at Muldoon's Point -- just talking. A few episodes later when the group is at Muldoon's Point hiding from the mystery writer, Shirley asks Laurie if she's ever been there, and Laurie replies no, that she doesn't even know where they are (then she slips and calls the place Muldoon's Point).

Of course these episodes might have been broadcast in a different order than they were filmed. It seems MANY of the shows were, judging from hairstyles and haircuts.

In another episode, Laurie mentions getting braces when she was 8. This is just sloppy writing, unless she got braces twice.

The episode where Shirley enters her paintings in an art show has always bothered me. Shirley has always been so sensible, and this episode makes her look like a dummy. The motivation behind her art instructor's encouragement is never explained. More bad writing.

Does anyone know why Ray Bolger didn't play Fred Renfrew in the last season? It's a shame, because he played the role every other year. (Apparently Shirley's mother was a bigamist, married to both Fred and
Walter Renfrew. Brothers?)

Google Alan Bursky if you want to see a recent photo. It's a shame people have to grow old. Seems he was with Freddie Prinze Sr. when Freddie shot himself in the head. I didn't search far, but everything I read about Alan Bursky was negative. Nobody likes him. He must not be a very nice guy.

Brian Forster makes Jeremy Gelbwaks look like Sir Laurence Olivier. (oops, I'm not a nice guy either!)

I believe Suzanne Crough could actually act, had she been given the chance. Her deadpan delivery in season one always cracks me up.

When you watch all 4 seasons in a short period of time, it's really funny to see all the same actors who keep popping up, playing different roles. Gordon Jump should have been given a weekly credit above Brian and Suzanne.

I saw Jackie Earle Haley in the little league episode -- another future Oscar nominee.

I'd completely forgotten that song "Crying in the Rain."

I recently saw Ronne Troup, the girl who played Rickie's sister, in a tv commercial -- playing a grandmother! Boy, do I feel old.

None But the Onely is one of my very favorite episodes.


I disagree with many of your points. Some observations are obviously errors, such as when Laurie had her braces (although maybe she did get braces twice. This would not be the first time that has happened to a child). But when we start analyzing the logic behind someone's statement or act, then you could do the same with your own family. The Partridge Family is not perfect, just like any family is not perfect in what they say or their actions.

So time for me to "nitpick" your post:

No teenager would normally admit to their parents that they have been at Muldoon's Point. I could understand a teenager saying they have never been there, then making a slip of some sort to make one believe they had been there, and so on and so on.......So anything that the kids have said (or not said) about Muldoon's Point can be justified, period.

The motivation behind her instructor's encouragement is never explained? Give me a break. How about wanting to keep Shirley as a student so the instructor can be gainfully employed! How about the standard encouragement one would receive from an art instructor? Did you expect the instructor to trash Shirley's work? I don't know how many art instructor's you have been around, but every single one I have been around would act exactly like the instructor did on the program. As for Shirley's sensibility, you can throw out sensibilities when it applies to art because no one can judge their own work very well. That would be like saying a mother should be sensible enough to know when she has given birth to an ugly baby.

I can understand why the show's writers wanted to change the name of Shirley's father when a different actor stepped in. When Ray Bolger no longer wanted to play that role (or whatever reason he didn't), the audience might better remember the original face of the grandpa if his original name was used. So they cleverly changed the name to allow the disconnect to occur. And who's to say that Shirley's original father didn't pass away from one season to the next and Shirley's mother married his brother? Laughing

As for comparing the talents of kid actors on the program, that's just so wrong. None of them were given enough time or involvement in the program to be able to make that kind of judgment.
_________________
"I may stumble, I may fall. But I won't care if there is you, at the end of it all"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kate
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter


Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 71
Location: connecticut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: random thoughts Reply with quote

AtTheEndOfItAll wrote:
No teenager would normally admit to their parents that they have been at Muldoon's Point. I could understand a teenager saying they have never been there, then making a slip of some sort to make one believe they had been there, and so on and so on.......So anything that the kids have said (or not said) about Muldoon's Point can be justified, period.


i think the idea behind the previous comment about Muldoon's point is that if the episodes were aired in order, Shirley wouldn't have bothered to ask Laurie if she had ever been there b/c she would've already known she had (since Laurie told her she was there in a previous ep).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
AtTheEndOfItAll
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 16
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: random thoughts Reply with quote

kate wrote:
AtTheEndOfItAll wrote:
No teenager would normally admit to their parents that they have been at Muldoon's Point. I could understand a teenager saying they have never been there, then making a slip of some sort to make one believe they had been there, and so on and so on.......So anything that the kids have said (or not said) about Muldoon's Point can be justified, period.


i think the idea behind the previous comment about Muldoon's point is that if the episodes were aired in order, Shirley wouldn't have bothered to ask Laurie if she had ever been there b/c she would've already known she had (since Laurie told her she was there in a previous ep).


So then it could be explained because of the order the episodes were aired. Why blame the writers on that? And who's to say that Shirley didn't recall the comment Laurie made from an earlier conversation? Does anyone have a family member who recalls ever single thing a person says? My basic point is that we could nitpick why people on the program aren't perfect in the things they say or their actions. But why hold the characters (or the writers) on the show to a higher standard than we expect from our own family in day to day life?

The real nitpicking that truly is valid are obvious errors that one can see. Like someone wearing two different shirts in one scene. These are the things that are fascinating to report on.
_________________
"I may stumble, I may fall. But I won't care if there is you, at the end of it all"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scott
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 3962
Location: San Pueblo, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think there was a lot of continuity on shows back then. I think it's simply a case of different writers writing for their own story and nobody in charge paying attention to the details. After all, there were no DVD players back in 1970, so they probably didn't think too much about people dissecting gthem like we are. Laughing Shirley's father's name being changed is more of a puzzlement to me than the random Muldune's Point or Laurie's braces comments. That name was established in more than one episode, and that goof should have been caught quicker than the others.

Have you ever watched episodes of "Bewitched?" The "rules" of witchcraft --and what can or can't be "undone" and why, always changed per the direction of the script. I think it's as simple as that. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AtTheEndOfItAll
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 16
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

Have you ever watched episodes of "Bewitched?" The "rules" of witchcraft --and what can or can't be "undone" and why, always changed per the direction of the script. I think it's as simple as that. Very Happy


But Bewitched was a fictional program while the Partridge Family was a true to life reality program. Wink
_________________
"I may stumble, I may fall. But I won't care if there is you, at the end of it all"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


"gethappy" phpBB template © 2005 www.cmongethappy.com
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group