[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Joey Green's ALBUM INACCURACIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Garage: Merchandise & Other Fun Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LisaF63
Reuben's Client
Reuben's Client

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by LisaF63 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
umbrellaman
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost ordered this, but now I'll probably hold off for a while. It sounds like it might be okay for the pictures. Hopefully someone will do a PF book that does them justice! It seems a lot of books on TV shows are written by people who aren't even necessarily fans, which is a shame. I have the book Dreaming Of Jeannie about I Dream Of Jeannie and thought it was terrible. The author basically starts out by saying that his friends dared him to write a book on the show. I love the book on Bewitched called Bewitched Forever though.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with you regarding the Jeannie book. The author, Steve Cox, is a good friend of mine and a real fan of the series. He REALLY did his research for this book, and the others he's written as well. I don't know many authors, but it always amazed me how much he puts into his books. Unlike Joey Green, he met with every cast and crew member he could find and told the story as it actually happened, warts and all (although there weren't too many warts. Laughing)I haven't read it in a while, but I think the passage you are referring to must have been written "toungue-in-cheek" because he wouldn't have meant it with disrespect to the show. Very Happy
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umbrellaman wrote:
I almost ordered this, but now I'll probably hold off for a while. It sounds like it might be okay for the pictures. Hopefully someone will do a PF book that does them justice! It seems a lot of books on TV shows are written by people who aren't even necessarily fans, which is a shame. I have the book Dreaming Of Jeannie about I Dream Of Jeannie and thought it was terrible. The author basically starts out by saying that his friends dared him to write a book on the show. I love the book on Bewitched called Bewitched Forever though.

What I hated about the book is in every episode "review" all it does is point out that instruments were played during the song, but not seen performed. It also neglected to mention a lot of the "guest-stars".
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: PF BOOK Reply with quote

I'm surprised the cast actually answered his questions! It's good for episode info, I've always thought. I bought mine at the Museum of the Moving Image about 10 years ago (it is 10?). I didn't expect to find a book like it, so I HAD to get it.
umbrellaman
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic I know, but regarding the Jeannie book, I shouldn't have said I thought it was terrible becuase it was actually very comprehensive and informative and had some beautiful pictures. I know the tone was "tongue in cheek," but I just thought it made it seem less affectionate. I have wanted to check out the "Hooterville Handbook" that Steve Cox did on Green Acres (I'm pretty sure he did that one). I've heard a lot of good things about it. I love biographies and am always trying to think of people who really need a good one and who don't already have a ton of them written. Is there anything on Shirley Jones? I've seen a book about her and Marty Ingels (not sure on that spelling) on Amazon but nothing else.
kenbubblegumkid
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Book Reply with quote

Scott,

Please tell your friend Steve Cox that he did a terrific job on the "Munsters" book, very insightful and well written.
Ken
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should pick up Shirley and Marty's book. It's really very good. Very Happy
sunshine eyes
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the book but I thought that the album reviews were too philosophical and hard to read. And I remember a few errors. For instance, the book says that "Hello Hello" (which was recorded in 1971) was inspired by Elton John's "Harmony" but EJ wouldn't record that song until 1973. And the Lost song section lists both 'All Of These Things" and "Good Times" which is the same exact song.

And did Chet Atkins and Neil Sedaka actually collaborate on "Working on a Groovy Thing?"
partridgepal
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what other posters have said is true, if you can overlook the errors and inconsistancies, it's not a bad book. I also agree that the reviews were really weird and I couldn't agree with some of his offbeat observations. I wrote to Lisa Sutton once and asked her why she didn't write a book about the Partridges and it had to do with obtaining the rights. I think if anyone could do it, it should be Lisa with the collaboration or help from Scott, Jen and Michael. THAT would be the book I'd look for! I absolutely loved Lisa's liner notes in the Arista releases! They were awesome IMHO!!!

Partridgepal Very Happy
35yearPFFan!
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I found this book at the local library one day by accident!! The book isn't that bad and the pictures are pretty good. They are some that I had never seen before. I would love to add it to my bookshelf in paperback form. Anyone know where I could find it as it's out to print now.

Pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Garage: Merchandise & Other Fun Stuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: