[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Review: SEVEN POUNDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Review: SEVEN POUNDS Reply with quote

I saw a screening of the new Will Smith film, "Seven Pounds."

Here's my review: If you have to make a choice between seeing this movie and having your eyes poked out, then opt for the ice pick. I saw this movie for free and I was still overcharged. You'll spend the first hour and forty minutes wondering what the heck is going on and what the heck they are talking about, only to be fed the story in the last 20 minutes of the film. It was absolutely horrible. Don't believe me? Here's a review from a Philadelphia paper:

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/articles/18056/film--review

I've seen some really dreadful films lately: "The Wrestler," "Disaster Movie," "Twilight" all left me less than thrilled. I was dragged to see "Bolt" and thought it was actually quite cute -- despite the fact that John Travolta and Miley Cyrus did the main voices. It was quite good.

If anyone wants to borrow my ice pick, lemme know. Laughing
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who dragged who to see Bolt? LOL! It was cute, worth the money and lived up to the reviews.

Thanks for the warning about Seven Pounds.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um -- I think YOU dragged ME. But I forgive you because the movie was very cute. At least the part I was awake for. Very Happy
BonnieNY
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

I appreciate the warning about "Seven Pounds."
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, guys: Very Happy

I've seen the commercials for this one, and just couldn't make out what the hell it was supposed to be about. Confused Still, what I DID see wasn't enough to make me part with something like $20 for a ticket and snacks Shocked when I can just as easily wait a few months for it to come to cable. Laughing You wanna see a GREAT Will Smith movie, rent or buy "Enemy Of The State" as it's simply brillant, IMHO! But then, I've always loved Gene Hackman (1974's "The Conversation" was a masterpiece!). Surprised

I know, I know, this is a bit O/T, but what I'm looking forward to seeing is Sean Penn's (another brillant actor) latest film, this one about Harvey Milk. Sounds wonderful. Anybody seen it yet? Very Happy
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daydreamer72 wrote:
Hey, guys: Very Happy

I've seen the commercials for this one, and just couldn't make out what the hell it was supposed to be about. Confused

Read the link to the review I included. It tries to explain without giving any spoilers away. Suffice it to say the entire film's story could have been told in a half-hour episode of Twilight Zone or Amazing Stories or any of those anthology type TV series -- although there wasn't anything "supernatural" about the story.

Oh Hell -- I'll just tell you!

Will Smith's character causes a major car accident that kills his wife and 6 other people. His remorse is so painful he decides to commit suicide and offer his body parts to 7 deserving strangers that are in need of transplants. The film follows him as he tries to find various people who are deserving of the transplants. But you don't know any of this till 20 minutes before the film is over. It's just Will Smith pretending to be an IRS auditor, asking sick people about their lives. And get this -- he kills himself by submerging himself in a water and ice-filled bathtub and then throws a poisonous JELLYFISH into the water, which stings him and kills him. End of movie. OMG!

I should have opted for the ice pick! Laughing
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T READ THIS POST IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE FILM AS IT COMMENTS ON SCOTT'S SPOILER ABOVE.

Hmmm....well I figured out that his character was looking for people to donate organs to from the commercials and the title of the film. I just thought it was organs from a loved one, not from himself. Scott, are you serious about that ending??? When he was on Oprah a few weeks back talking about the movie (although he couldn't say anything about the plot), they said it had a surprise ending. I guess so!!
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Scott! Very Happy And YIKES!!! Shocked

See? This movie is a perfect example of what happens when actors become so successful Confused (no matter their race, creed or color): They get these ridiculous ideas about "What is art", Rolling Eyes then try to foist it upon an unsuspecting public, expecting accolades for their latest "masterpiece" when they really ought to consider refunding us the price of our movie ticket! Laughing
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjorie63 wrote:
DON'T READ THIS POST IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE FILM.

Scott, are you serious about that ending???

Yup -- totally idiotic. They try and foreshadow it by showing his character at an aquarium when he's a youngster (played by Connor Cruise, Tom and Nicole' son) where they get a lesson on poisonous jellyfish. Then you see him carrying the thing around in a weird tube-like aquarium through out the film too. At first you think he just has a weird fetish for tropical type fish. It was just the most idiotic film I have ever seen. I want those 2 hours of my life back! I may sue. :lol:

Oh, an that "surprise ending" was the fact that a plot finally kicked in and explanations were given for what you just sat through for an hour and forty minutes.

This is one of the reasons I gave up watching "Lost." Too much crap to sift through that never made sense and was never explained. Laughing
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Thanks for the warning. I am looking forward to seeing Doubt, Milk and Frost/Nixon. Finding the time is the trick, but I'm hearing good things about all of those films.
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Milk and loved it! Sean Penn should get an oscar nomination easy, and the rest of the cast was superb as well. Gus Van Sant directed and the feel of the film as well as smart dialogue and realistic period sets and costumes (set in late 60's and the 70's) were the icing on the cake. It was inspiring to see people striving and trying to do something that really matters in the lives of others and my respect for Harvey Milk has grown even bigger (although it doesn't paint his as a saint either). I highly recommend this film. Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: