[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

LOVING Barry Manilow!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dee
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the view stinks. It always has and always will. I don't care who the hosts are. The show has out-lived it usefulness and should be cancelled. JMO.

As for Manilow. He sings some beautiful music, but as a person he is a snob. He was rude to my sister-in-law. She asked him for an autograph
and he refused, which was his right, but the nasty tone in which he told her NO! is what annoyed me. Lisa, OTOH thought is was great that he just talked to her. LOL!!!

I haven't posted in awhile. I hope you are all well.
Dee
Rugger57
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, dear Lord!

I caught Barry on Entertainment Tonight hocking his new 70's lp. He did one live, and they played snippets from about 5 or 6 other tracks. Each and every track had me crawling out of my skin. He has BUTCHERED some very favorite 70's tracks! His rendering of Close To You by the Carpenters was a nightmare! I almost gagged.

I don't think he ever had a very strong voice, but now I think he has no voice at all. He really needs to hang it up!
JMAR5
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Here at the Mayflower" was a really good album , with some great material. It' s too bad he can't continue doing this type of music. I guess the "Bottom Line" is more important than quality art.

As far as his cancelling his "The View" appearance, I think that was a bad move on his part. For goodness sakes, dont' conservatives have a right to voice their opinion too? After all it's "The View" and it's 3 against one in the first place.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of scared of hearing what he does to Bridge Over Troubled Water. I don't think I want to hear it. Razz But I did hear a clip of How Can You Mend a Broken Heart, which is easily the most boring cover of that song that has ever been recorded. But I have a strong bias...that's a very personal song for the Gibbs, since Robin and Barry wrote it as an apology to each other. I don't really want to hear anyone else sing it. Plus the harmonies in the chorus make the song, so without it...meh.

Most of the songs on Barry's track list don't need covering. Unless this kind of CD is done as a tribute to the composer/recording artist, I don't buy them.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMAR5 wrote:

As far as his cancelling his "The View" appearance, I think that was a bad move on his part. For goodness sakes, dont' conservatives have a right to voice their opinion too? After all it's "The View" and it's 3 against one in the first place.

I see your point, but haven't you ever avoided a party or meeting because you disliked someone so much you didn't think you could stomach the experience? I've done it several times -- when Ted Turner used to call company meetings, for instance. Laughing Laughing I think the difference here, is it was publicized. If he had just cancelled the appearance without giving a reason, nothing would have been said about it. Perhaps he wanted to make a point -- I dunno. Are he and Rosie close? Maybe he cancelled in response to what happened between Rosie and Elizabitch and Bill Geddes? Still, it's doubtful that politics would have been disgussed during his visit. Very Happy
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ I actually liked his cover of "Bridge over Troubled Water". It is one of the better songs on the cd. It could have used a few more up tempo tunes. By the time he gets to "Sorry seems to be the hardest word" I felt sorry I bought the cd - deluxe version of course.

Dee, I've never met Barry in person and its too bad that your sister had a negative experience. It makes you wonder why these people can't recognize they owe their public to be gracious. Then again, I've not been itheir shoes. Or even in a rhinestone jumpsuit for that matter!

Ed
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never met any human being who is capable of being friendly and gracious every minute of every day, or under any circumstance. I certainly couldn't do it. I give celebrities a break on that front, since they're just people who get tired and crabby like everyone else.
sunshine eyes
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the songs are from the early 1970s and I don't know why "Sailing" is here, as it is an eighties song. The originals are usually the best but Al Green did a good take on "Broken Heart" and Aretha did a great version of "Bridge."

So what do you think will be on The Greatest Hits of the 80s? I'm sure a Lionel Ritchie song will be on it.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard he was asked that question in an interview and his response was, "Are there any great songs from the 80s?" (Or something to that effect.) Laughing :lol:

Can you just hear him singing "Tainted Love" or "We Built This City" or an REO Speedwagon song? Laughing Laughing
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I heard he was asked that question in an interview and his response was, "Are there any great songs from the 80s?" (Or something to that effect.) Laughing :lol:

Can you just hear him singing "Tainted Love" or "We Built This City" or an REO Speedwagon song? Laughing Laughing

There's always "Oh Sherrie" by Steve Perry.
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch the View because how can a show with all women and no men give balanced points of view.

A conservative woman is not going to be the same as a man same thing liberally too.

It seems to me that they fight with everybody becuase its a scary hen house.

Barry Manilow can appear or not appear on anything he wants to.

and for his album I can't say since I haven't heard it, although I always liked his original hits back in the day Smile
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KathySTL wrote:
I don't watch the View because how can a show with all women and no men give balanced points of view.

It seems to me that they fight with everybody becuase its a scary hen house.

The show is supposed to be about women's point of views, not all mankind's point of views. That's the whole point and what Barbara Walters wanted when she devised the show. For decades shows had all men discussing current events and no one said they weren't balanced because there were no women.

Other than Rosie and Elisabeth going at it last season, I've never seen any fighting on the show. Yes there have been disagreements with each other and with guests (Bill O'Reilly for example) but I wouldn't call them fighting. I think the show got a lot of press last season when Rosie came on and gave people who don't watch the show a very negative image. I think the show is held to an unfair double standard. If people want to see a serious news discussion show they should watch the Sunday moring shows like Meet the Press or George Stephanopulous' (sp?) show. The View is an entertainment show, not a news show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: