[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Voice Actor Lennie "Pufnstuf" Weinrib Dies at 71

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Voice Actor Lennie "Pufnstuf" Weinrib Dies at 71 Reply with quote

I'm sure a lot of people would recognize Lennie Weinrib from his live-action guest roles as well as his voice-over work in animation. For those who watched Saturday morning acrtoons in the 70s, Lennie was a staple of practically every studio. Some may remember his character, "Timer" in "Time For Timer", the nutritional commercials that aired between cartoons. Others would remember him as the voice of H.R. Pufnstuf. Unfortunately, Lennie passed away in Chile a few days ago after a stroke

Voice Actor Lennie "Pufnstuf" Weinrib Dies at 71

June 29, 2006

Voice actor Lennie Weinrib, whose most famed role was as the title character in the 1969 live-action series, H.R. PUFNSTUF (which he also co-wrote), died June 28, 2006, at his home in Chile. He was 71 years old.

For his animation career, Weinrib provided the voice for Scooby's impetuous nephew Scrappy-Doo in SCOOBY-DOO AND SCRAPPY-DOO (1979) and THE SCOOBY AND SCRAPPY-DOO PUPPY HOUR (1982). He was also in the voice cast of the first Scooby series, SCOOBY-DOO, WHERE ARE YOU! (1969) and THE NEW SCOOBY-DOO MOVIES (1972) among others.

Born in the Bronx on April 29, 1935, Weinrib was also a writer, producer and director. He got his start working with Spike Jones and later in the Billy Barnes revues.

Weinrib moved to Chile after marrying a Chilean woman and retiring from show business.

Weinrib first entered the world of cartoons as a voice actor on 1962's THE JETSONS. Additionally, he voiced both title characters in DePatie-Freleng Enterprises' 1968 series ROLAND AND RATTFINK, which also appeared in THE PINK PANTHER LAUGH AND THE HALF HOUR AND HALF SHOW (1976). He also created and wrote the 1970 DFE series DOCTOR DOLITTLE, in which he played Sam Scurvy.

His other roles in animated series included: the title voice in INCH HIGH, PRIVATE EYE (1971); Moonrock in THE PEBBLES AND BAMM-BAMM SHOW (1971) and THE FLINTSTONES COMEDY HOUR (1972); Stanley in THE AMAZING CHAN AND THE CHAN CLAN (1972); Gomez Addams in THE ADDAMS FAMILY (1973); Hi-Riser in WHEELIE AND THE CHOPPER BUNCH (1974); Commissioner Gordon, The Joker, The Penguin and Mr. Freeze in THE NEW ADVENTURES OF BATMAN (1977); Rattle, The King and Yukayuka in THE C.B. BEARS (1977); Knock-Knock Woodpecker in THE SKATEBIRDS (1977); Dipper in SPACE-STARS (1981); Hunk and Lotor in VOLTRON: DEFENDER OF THE UNIVERSE (1984); Charles and Lenny in KISSYFUR (1985); and Secret Squirrel in WAKE, RATTLE & ROLL (1990) and YO YOGI! (1991).

Weinrib was in the voice casts of HELP! IT'S THE HAIR BEAR BUNCH (1971), HONG KONG PHOOEY (1974), THE NEW TOM & JERRY SHOW (1975), JABBERJAW (1976), DYNOMUTT, DOG WONDER (1978), THE SMURFS (1981), THE KWICKY KOALA SHOW (1981), RAMBO (1986) and SABER RIDER AND THE STAR SHERIFFS (1987).

Weinrib voiced President John F. Kennedy in the hour-long 1970 NBC special UNCLE SAM MAGOO, UPA's last attempt to bring Mr. Magoo to primetime. He was in the 1970 Air Programs International special TALES OF WASHINGTON IRVING and The Count in 1971's THE POINT from Murakami-Wolf Prods. Other roles in animated TV specials were Timer in THE MAGICAL MYSTERY TRIP THROUGH LITTLE RED'S HEAD (1974) and Darzee the Tailorbird in RIKKI-TIKKI-TAVI (1975).

From 1977 to 1978, he starred in Magic Mongo, a segment of the live-action The Krofft Supershow.

He had guest roles in numerous live-action TV series, including THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, PETER GUNN, DENNIS THE MENACE, THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS, THE TWILIGHT ZONE, 77 SUNSET STRIP, MY FAVORITE MARTIAN, THE MUNSTERS, BURKE'S LAW, THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE, ADAM-12, HAPPY DAYS, THE WALTONS and CHIPS.

His theatrical voice work included Secretary Bird and King Leonidas in Disney's BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS (1971) and Prince Abadaba in BUGS BUNNY'S 3RD MOVIE: 1001 RABBIT TALES (1982).

Weinrib directed the live-action movie musicals BEACH BALL (1965) and WILD, WILD WINTER and OUT OF SIGHT (both 1966).

"At some point in the
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: "Emergency!" Reply with quote

Lennie was in an episode of "Emergency!" (Gage & DeSoto) which the episode was all to himself in 4 different scenes back in late 1974 or early 1975. R.I.P. Lennie
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's his obit from the LA Times:

Lennie Weinrib, 71; Actor Gave Voice to H.R. Pufnstuf Character

By Dennis McLellan, Times Staff Writer
July 2, 2006

Lennie Weinrib, a character actor and prolific voice-over artist who supplied the voice for the title character in the children's fantasy television series "H.R. Pufnstuf," has died. He was 71.

Weinrib died Wednesday at a hospital in Santiago, Chile, after suffering a stroke, said his daughter Linda Weinrib. He had retired from show business in the early '90s and moved to Chile, the native country of his second wife, Sonia.

Known as warm, funny and full of gusto, Weinrib had a varied career that included working as a stand-up comic, appearing in the "Billy Barnes Revue" on Broadway in 1959 and co-writing the 1963 joke classic "The Elephant Book."

As a character actor, he appeared on such TV series as "My Favorite Martian," "77 Sunset Strip," "The Twilight Zone," "The Munsters" and the "Dick Van Dyke Show," including an episode in which he played an insult comic who asks the bald Mel Cooley (played by Richard Deacon), "Do you pluck your scalp?"

Weinrib also had a stint as a director of low-budget teen flicks in the mid-1960s, directing the comedy "Beach Ball," the spy spoof "Out of Sight," and the ski-slope comedy "Wild, Wild Winter."

But it was as a voice-over artist for more than 30 years that he had his greatest success.

By the mid-1960s, he was considered one of the top 10 voice-over talents working in commercials
MobyDick15
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I didn't know that he died. I love H.R. He was really good. Did anyone ever watch Lidsville? I also like that show.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Lidsville. (I just saw Butch Patrick last weekend at an autograph show.) It was "OK." The problem I had, watching as a kid, was the special effects always looked so cheesy -- filmed against the blue screen. Since the show was shot on video tape rather than film (like Pufnstuf), the production qualities always suffered. I think it was on in 1971, so I probably switched over to Scooby Doo or Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm or Josie and the Pussycats. Dancing Whistle
MobyDick15
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. the special effects were cheesy. Im not from that era but my mom is. i also like scooby doo.
dannyph
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I didn't know he was Mr. Pringle. I Love Pringles, now I'll always think of him when I have them....mmmmm, Pringles. Drool Drool Drool Drool
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sad and only a few months after Jack Wild too. RIP.
dannyph
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Jack Wild is dead? I swear I was just watching Oliver! the other day and wondering whatever happened to him. That Is sad. Sad
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the "Search" function a wonderful thing??

http://www.cmongethappy.com/bulletin/viewtopic.php?t=1128
dannyph
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah,but oral cancer sure isn't
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: