[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Suggestions Requested
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Suggestions Requested Reply with quote

Hey, Everyone!

I have a dilemma I'd like people to give me feedback on. Feel free to post whatever your thoughts are.

We get lots of emails on a weekly basis (sometimes over 20 a week) from people asking a lot of the same questions:

-- When is The Partridge Family Season 3 coming to DVD?
-- When is Bulletin Board coming to CD?
-- What happened to the VH-1 series?
-- I can't log onto the Message Board -- What happened?
-- Do you have David Cassidy's email address because I want to write him?
-- Where can I contact a songwriter?
-- What happened to the bus?

and so on.

To be honest, we simply do not have the time to answer them all, so rather than ignore them, I created an automated response that gave detailed answers to these and other questions. It referred people to the FAQ page as well as our NEWS section. This is what it says:

---------------------------------------------------
Dear Partridge Family Fan,

Thanks so much for your email. If you are receiving this automated response, it is for one of the following reasons:

1. Your question has been asked and answered on our FAQ page ( http://www.cmongethappy.com/faq.html );
-- We apologize, but we simply do not have the time or resources to answer questions that are easily available on the website.

2. You are asking about future season releases of The Partridge Family on DVD. (This information is also available on the FAQ page at http://www.cmongethappy.com/faq.html ) ;
-- This is our most asked question, and one that we have also answered on the website

Last edited by Scott on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I think you've covered all the bases on this one.
I don't think an automated response is rude. People may think you are rude if you ignore them, but people will still get a response (even if it's an automated one).
As far as a lot of the other questions, I get the feeling that some people never read the FAQ page.
It's been a long time since I registered, But is there something in the registration that directs people to the FAQ page?
Just because you don't give out personal information doesn't mean you are rude, you just respect their privacy.
Hope I've helped

Darryl
BonnieNY
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith...er...I mean Scott Razz ,

I think the automated email is perfect. It is comprehensive and very clear. If someone replies with an email such as the one you copied and pasted, I would ignore that, but I would definitely send out the automated response initially. It will hopefully help some people, and others...well...I think they just can't be helped. Wink
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automated responses are the standard way of handling situations like the one you're in. You did nothing wrong. The world is full of fruitcakes. We regularly receive tomes written in crabbed handwriting detailing crazy thoughts on the state of the world, followed by angry letters from the author who is mad that we didn't hire them to be pundits. We also receive portraits of our on-air folks rendered in things like macaroni, followed by abusive emails from the "artist" who is angry that the item wasn't forwarded to the subject and/or praised by us. (Why do people think a celebrity wants a portrait of him/herself created by a fan? I do not understand this.) In short, people are odd. Ignore them.

To maximize the effectiveness of your auto response, you might want to consider shortening each point and removing the emotion. Just give 'em the facts. Make it light so people don't feel guilty about asking the question.

Quote:
And more importantly, do I REALLY think I am Keith Partridge??

Hmmm...perhaps that explains the feathered hair.. Wink
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I totally agree with what Bonnie said. I don't think it is rude to send an automated response at all. What I do think is rude is for people to keep sending you emails with these same questions when you and Michael have asked repeatedly not to. I think some people are just too lazy to read the board and other parts of the site to see if there is an answer to their question before emailing you. Scott I applaud you for your patience in dealing with these people both in private email and on the board. If I were in your place I think I would have used a few expletive deletives by now. Laughing

Perhaps there could be a "contact us" page(primarily for first time visitors who don't already know your email address) where you could include the topics/questions you won't respond to.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that the severity of his response took me by surprise. I didn't think there was anything in my response to warrant that kind of an attack. I have never heard of him before, nor is he registered on the Bulletin Board. He sent THREE emails over the course of two weeks. One was to express his disappointment that the website hadn't been updated in a while, wondering if we were going under. He also asked for personal contact information on Adam Miller (songwriter) and for information on the release of Seasons Three and Four on DVD. (He had emailed Sony a few times and they weren't responding either.) Another email asked why I wasn't responding to his first email. After all, he had cleared my email address so any emails from me would be accepted into his personal AOL account. He also made it clear he had no desire to register for a Bulletin Board to get any information.

Oh well. Thanks for the input so far. I admit to being a bit apathetic lately regarding website updates, but when I get emails like this one, it doesn't help me get motivated. Laughing
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments and then I'll answer your questions. I somehow find it amusing when someone thinks that the site is "going under" because some time has passed between updates. While a dynamic site is always a plus, we're not talking about a dynamic show here. It's been off the air for over 30 years. (Who said that?!) The site is pretty compete, and I'm proud of the content. Pretty much anything you need to know about the show is already here. There's a lot of extra stuff too, like the interviews that add so much, and were never originally planned. Thanks to Scott, they happened.

The only big news we'll have are the remaining DVDs and CDs. And as Scott said, that question comes up regularly. If I was feeling snarky, I would really want to ask people who email that question if they honestly believe we are holding back info and they are going to be THE lucky person to find out that a new DVD or CD is on the way.

I feel better. LOL! Now to Scott's questions:

What are we supposed to do? Exactly what you did. You did just fine.

Is it better to ignore these emails rather than send an automated response? On the rude scale, I'd say ignoring is worse.

Was an automated response rude? No it wasn't. It answered the questions. Just read PJs suggestion, and once the letter has been "on ice" a while, look it over and see if you want to make it more "sterile." Just the facts, but still friendly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with these same questions we get over and over? I'd say your emai, the FAQ, etc cover all the bases. You're doing things just right.

And more importantly, do I REALLY think I am Keith Partridge?? Nah. You think you're Joe Hardy. Laughing Wink

Hang in there!
Michael
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me, Scott, and I applaud your coming up with and executing a pretty darn good solution to the ongoing problem. Like you, real life changes for me have caused me to have less time to spend on the site and the board, but as Jen stated - there's not much left to do with it other than wait for new releases and annoucemnents.

(as a side note... this May marks the site's 10th anniversary - yowza!)

I truly don't think anything more can be done.
Randy64
Official Bus Driver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, based on my limited experience with you I would say you are someone who is generous, helpful and fair...but never rude. I agree with the previous posters. An automated response is acceptable in this situation but a personal response is preferred when time allows of course.
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes me think that ISN'T someone unknown to you?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing I thought that too. It seemed too severe a reaction. Almost like there was already a pre-conceived opinion of me from the get-go. Laughing Laughing My wittlle fewwings are more hurted now. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Wink
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought that too.

Me too. I don't think his response was something that a newbie, who had never visited the site or the board, would come up with based only on the email in question.
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus-dragging David Cassidy into it. He has nothing to do with the site-but we know full well there are people with a rather virulent anti-DC agenda too.
dreamboatkaren
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

You, and everyone else associated with this website, have been doing a wonderful job with everything. I really appreciate all the hard work that you put into your "hobby"! I guess for some people it is a way of life...lol
Please don't let one email get to you....YOU ROCK!

Karen
BonnieNY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ wrote:
Quote:
I thought that too.

Me too. I don't think his response was something that a newbie, who had never visited the site or the board, would come up with based only on the email in question.

Ditto, but I didn't want to start anything. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: