[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

DC Official Magazines on Ebay! a bunch too!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Garage: Merchandise & Other Fun Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: DC Official Magazines on Ebay! a bunch too!!! Reply with quote

got to ebay.com and search david Cassidy magazines they have a whole lotta official one's in GREAT CONDITION! but they are from the UK...isnt that awesome that they have them on ebay? go ahead take a look! if any comments... please respond to post!

--Jesse

!#~I Love David Cassidy~#!
KarenM
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been seeing them a lot on there lately.
I have the complete run (There were 43).
I am now looking for a local friend/collector.

Darryl
kenbubblegumkid
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl,

You have the whole run? I'm turning green Mr. Green Great job.
Ken
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got most of them before DC's '91 comeback.
That's when I could get them cheaper. I've seen some of them go for ridiculous prices on ebay.

Darryl
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Hey Greely Reply with quote

Hey Greely...I know you are a big collector. That's pretty cool. What would you say is the coolest thing you posess? What would be your 'Holy Grail' ?
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My acetate of DC's Romance album.

Darryl
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Acetate Reply with quote

Wow, forgot about this category.......Hey Greely, refresh my memory...what is a acetate again? It has to do with either the pre-release of an LP or it is a pristine version of the LP? Something like that right? Or am I way off? Embarassed
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had almost forgotten about this too.
I googled the word Acetate and found this discription from a Madonna fan site (sorry Scott). It gives a brief discription of what an Acetate is?
http://www.madonnacatalog.com/guides/acetate.htm
Another one of the favorite things in my collection are my personalized autographed albums by David and Danny. Cool

Darryl
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yuck. Instead of sending people to a **hack*putooey** Madonna site, why not just cut/pste the info here?? Wink

Here it is:

An acetate disc is cut prior to the cutting of the master disc which is used for mass production of records. Even though referred to as an "acetate", it is essentially an aluminium disc coated with a fine film of nitro-celluolose lacquer with no acetate in it at all! I can tell you right off the bat that they're nothing special to look at. They do not come in a frame. There is NO picture sleeve, and no special artwork on the record labels. Most acetates are 10" round, but the actual music record grooves are usually 7" in diameter. A 7" single is usually cut on a 10" disc, a 12" single or LP is cut onto a 12" disc. They're almost always single-sided (the other side is totally blank and shiny, with no grooves and no label).

This is used as a reference disc allowing the producer, engineer, artist and other interested parties to see how well the recording transfers to disc. Trying to tranfser some recordings to disc is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and so the cutting engineer must make some adjustments to the sound so that song on the tape fits within the confines of a record groove. This may include adjusting the overall level (volume), adjusting bass/treble, compressing the overall signal, etc so that the record sounds as good as possible when played on a variety of hi-fi systems. For example, if a song is excessively long, the cutting engineer will have to reduce the overall level of the disc. When such changes are necessary, the reference disc (or "acetate") allows the producer to check and approve these changes before the master disc is cut and sent off to the pressing plant where thousands of copies are pressed.

Once everyone is happy with the reference cut, the engineer will cut the MASTER LACQUER disc with the same changes and send it off to the pressing plant for mass production.

The lacquer coating on the disc is very soft and so the sound quality will deteriorate the more you play it. At first, the high frequencies will diminish and an increase of surface noise will be evident. If you thought records scratch and wear out easily, a lacquer disc is worse!

Reference cuts will usually appear as 10" discs with a 7"single cut onto them, or a 12" disc with either a 7" or a 12" cut. Reference discs will often have a second hole near the centre hole. This is to identify them as reference cuts and not master lacquers for production use.

So if you have an "acetate", you have a disc that was theoretically cut for the producer, engineer and artist to listen to. On the other hand, anyone with a disc cutting lathe can cut such a disc and pass it off as a real one".
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Scott, just figuring out how to do blocks of text like that.
Haven't been able to experiment things on the computer lately, or I would've figured how to do that. Confused
I hope to be able to do that when I repost that PF story I saved from the old board. Just gotta find the time. Plus I need to locate it.

Darryl
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have a PC? Cuz on a MAC it's pretty easy to highlight, copy/paste under the "Edit". I have no idea how to help you on a PC, though. Confused
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I do have a PC. I recently got an e-mail about credit card scams.
I cut the entire message contents in the e-mail and pasted it into a new message on the board. It was one of those wow moments for me. Wink

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Garage: Merchandise & Other Fun Stuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: